Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

D

Deleted member 18477

1st Wiggins
2nd Murray
3rd Farah

Team of the year - Team GB

Wiggins, Murray or Farah all deserve to win it IMO. McIlroy for me deserves 4th and Weir 5th.

The other 7 have done outstandingly well to make the shortlist. What a year for sport!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's a bloody fix, always has been. They've already decided who will win it :

John+Terry+spoty.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For me Murray is only really there because we're so shite at tennis due to it being by and large a toffs game where only the privileged seem to progress to pro level here. Having said that I'm not a Murray basher and think his achievements this year have been superb, especially when he's unfortunate to be playing in era alongside 3 of the all time greats of the game. I like him for speaking his mind and for being overcome with emotion like he was this year, but for me he's not achieved enough considering who he's up against in SPOTY.

Ennis has been brilliant and lived up to the high demands and expectations placed upon her as our poster girl for our Olympics. That's some pressure to carry over two days of intense competition and she performed superbly! However, for me Mo's achievements are greater because of the events he competed in. Yes Ennis has to do 7 compared to Mo's two, but the 5,000 & 10,000 double at an Olympics is bloody amazing! Not only because of the physical demands but because perhaps more than any other athletics events in these two you have to get it tactically spot on, and under the huge pressure and weight of expectation of a home Olympics as the favourite, that's not easy to pull off.

Wiggins has to be the winner for me though. Yes, I'm a cycyling fan, but just in terms of achievement his has been by far the greatest of any British sportsman for as long as I can remember. He already had a quality CV going into this year but to win the greatest cycle race in history is just something else, British or otherwise. Add to that the fact that he also won major stage races like Paris-Nice and the Criterium de Dauphine this year too,as well as the Tour de Romandie, and you see just how big his achievements have been. All team work you say?, well what about the Olympic Time Trial Gold medal as well then, just days after winning the biggest and most punishing, physically and mentally, race of them all! :) The fact that he done all this in one season and is British is phenomenal, yet even a rider from any number of the 'proper' cycling nations would be immensely proud to have achieved what Wiggins has this season.

Wiggins, Farah, Murray would be my vote, with Ennis a very close 4th.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
For me Murray is only really there because we're so shite at tennis due to it being by and large a toffs game where only the privileged seem to progress to pro level here.

Whether or not it is a game for the privileged, he has beaten some of the finest players to grace the tennis courts and won an olympic gold, a major and performed exceedingly well in other tournaments. That is why he is in there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Whether or not it is a game for the privileged, he has beaten some of the finest players to grace the tennis courts and won an olympic gold, a major and performed exceedingly well in other tournaments. That is why he is in there.

I wouldn't dispute any of that, and if you'd quoted me fully you'd see I agree with you :thumbsup: It's also why I'd vote for him as my choice for 3rd place - 100% deserves to be there and I'm really pleased for him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I wouldn't dispute any of that, and if you'd quoted me fully you'd see I agree with you :thumbsup: It's also why I'd vote for him as my choice for 3rd place - 100% deserves to be there and I'm really pleased for him.

It was an odd thing to open with.

For me Murray is only really there because we're so shite at tennis due to it being by and large a toffs game where only the privileged seem to progress to pro level here.

It has absolutely no bearing on his ability or worth to be included in the list.

Tennis suffers at a starter level as you have to pay to play, even at basic council court level. Football and other such sports are free. It's not so much a toffs game per se.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It was an odd thing to open with.

It has absolutely no bearing on his ability or worth to be included in the list.

Tennis suffers at a starter level as you have to pay to play, even at basic council court level. Football and other such sports are free. It's not so much a toffs game per se.

Ok, I''l hold my hands up, I suppose it was an odd thing to open with, but clearly you aren't exactly disagreeing with me. Perhaps I should have just made mention of 'opportunities' rather than mention toffs, but then again you know me and my opinions on class :wink:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ok, I''l hold my hands up, I suppose it was an odd thing to open with, but clearly you aren't exactly disagreeing with me. Perhaps I should have just made mention of 'opportunities' rather than mention toffs, but then again you know me and my opinions on class :wink:

I think rather than tennis being a class issue (I've met many snooty people in tennis), it is an issue of being able to afford the game.

How many singular sports are cheap to play? Tennis is a high profile sport, but how many people bemoan squash or fencing or car racing or what-have-you as being elitist?

Why is it that Henman or Murray etc are victims of inverse snobbery, when the likes of Button and Hamilton are revered?

A tennis coach is going to cost you more than a football coach. Football needs 10+ people to make other effective. 10+ people in a sport like tennis ruins things.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Stuart Bingham, who won the Premier League snooker title last night. Bookies always write him off and he keeps winning trophies at huge odds. :clap: A most unlikely hero from Basildon.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Stuart Bingham, who won the Premier League snooker title last night. Bookies always write him off and he keeps winning trophies at huge odds. :clap: A most unlikely hero from Basildon.

The clue is in the title. Snooker should never be considered a sport along with other pub games such as darts, bar billiards, pub quizzes, strawpedos, flipping beer mats etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here