Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The clue is in the title. Snooker should never be considered a sport along with other pub games such as darts, bar billiards, pub quizzes, strawpedos, flipping beer mats etc.

I wasn't being totally serious though, Barrel Of Fun. Steve Davis did win it in 1988 though when a lot more snooker was shown before Sky.

UK Championship is on the BBC next week and I'll be putting money on Stuart Bingham to hopefully pay for the Christmas shopping.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I wasn't being totally serious though, Barrel Of Fun. Steve Davis did win it in 1988 though when a lot more snooker was shown before Sky.

UK Championship is on the BBC next week and I'll be putting money on Stuart Bingham to hopefully pay for the Christmas shopping.

I wasn't being serious either. :)

I think marginalised sports are under represented.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=3788]Barrel of Fun[/MENTION], we deffinitely disagree on the snooker not being a real sport issue. For me it is one of the technically hardest sports to play.

I am voting this year, for the first time, and it will be for this man.
o-ANDY-MURRAY-US-OPEN-570.jpg

Not just for winning it, but the circumstances of winning it. Behind so often, fought back and then in the final when he had it almost won, back to level pegging and to go again and win it... Seriously special achievement. Bradley Wiggins would be a worthy champion, Jessica Ennis has been THE sports personality this year in terms of her public appearances and everything around it, but what Murray has achieved makes him a worthy winner. Gold medal at the Olympics against THE greatest in the sports' history just to top it off, and the Wimbledon final as well.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think they are a pair of twats who compete in an utter toliet sport. :thumbsup:

How are they a pair of twats? And how is Formula 1 an "utter toilet" sport? I did agree with your first post in the thread though, Frankel would have been a worthy nomination, if not winner.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That Frankel has some personality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=3788]Barrel of Fun[/MENTION], we deffinitely disagree on the snooker not being a real sport issue. For me it is one of the technically hardest sports to play.
I always have snooker in the long winded category of:-

'Sport which is made to look the easiest by the professionals playing, but the hardest for an amateur to begin'

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Can't believe no Laura Trott or Charlotte Dujardin both double gold medalists....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Seconded. Murray for me as well.....

I am voting this year, for the first time, and it will be for this man.
o-ANDY-MURRAY-US-OPEN-570.jpg

Not just for winning it, but the circumstances of winning it. Behind so often, fought back and then in the final when he had it almost won, back to level pegging and to go again and win it... Seriously special achievement. Bradley Wiggins would be a worthy champion, Jessica Ennis has been THE sports personality this year in terms of her public appearances and everything around it, but what Murray has achieved makes him a worthy winner. Gold medal at the Olympics against THE greatest in the sports' history just to top it off, and the Wimbledon final as well.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
1st Wiggins
2nd Murray
3rd Farah

Team of the year - Team GB

Wiggins, Murray or Farah all deserve to win it IMO. McIlroy for me deserves 4th and Weir 5th.

The other 7 have done outstandingly well to make the shortlist. What a year for sport!

You don't think the man that won his 4th successive Olympic Gold Medal in Sailing, after winning a silver in Atlanta at 19 years old, is worthy of a spot on the podium?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
For me Murray is only really there because we're so shite at tennis due to it being by and large a toffs game where only the privileged seem to progress to pro level here. Having said that I'm not a Murray basher and think his achievements this year have been superb, especially when he's unfortunate to be playing in era alongside 3 of the all time greats of the game. I like him for speaking his mind and for being overcome with emotion like he was this year, but for me he's not achieved enough considering who he's up against in SPOTY.

Ennis has been brilliant and lived up to the high demands and expectations placed upon her as our poster girl for our Olympics. That's some pressure to carry over two days of intense competition and she performed superbly! However, for me Mo's achievements are greater because of the events he competed in. Yes Ennis has to do 7 compared to Mo's two, but the 5,000 & 10,000 double at an Olympics is bloody amazing! Not only because of the physical demands but because perhaps more than any other athletics events in these two you have to get it tactically spot on, and under the huge pressure and weight of expectation of a home Olympics as the favourite, that's not easy to pull off.

Wiggins has to be the winner for me though. Yes, I'm a cycyling fan, but just in terms of achievement his has been by far the greatest of any British sportsman for as long as I can remember. He already had a quality CV going into this year but to win the greatest cycle race in history is just something else, British or otherwise. Add to that the fact that he also won major stage races like Paris-Nice and the Criterium de Dauphine this year too,as well as the Tour de Romandie, and you see just how big his achievements have been. All team work you say?, well what about the Olympic Time Trial Gold medal as well then, just days after winning the biggest and most punishing, physically and mentally, race of them all! :) The fact that he done all this in one season and is British is phenomenal, yet even a rider from any number of the 'proper' cycling nations would be immensely proud to have achieved what Wiggins has this season.

Wiggins, Farah, Murray would be my vote, with Ennis a very close 4th.

Yeah, Ben Ainslie is shite isn't he? Fancy only winning 1 gold medal each time, four olympics in a row!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'd go for:

Wiggins
Weir
Farah

But it is very difficult. All of the above have achieved more than a famous win. They have become the greatest British athletes in their discipline. Ainslie might therefore be 4th. Murray can't compete with the above, nor Ennis.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Ainslie's achievements are immense. He just unfortunately suffers from partaking in a marginalised sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You don't think the man that won his 4th successive Olympic Gold Medal in Sailing, after winning a silver in Atlanta at 19 years old, is worthy of a spot on the podium?

Yeah, Ben Ainslie is shite isn't he? Fancy only winning 1 gold medal each time, four olympics in a row!

Ainslie's achievements are immense. He just unfortunately suffers from partaking in a marginalised sport.
Stellar national performances on the international stage are like Brighton home games.

You wait what seems like years for one, then what seems like hundreds come along at once.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
For the first time since I can remember there is a shortlist that you can make a legitimate case for any of them winning it. We have had a fantastic year of sporting success. Lets just hope we can keep it up! It is not often that gold medalists or even double gold medalists no matter what sport that they won it in is not even shortlisted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here