Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Batley & Spen by-election

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That may well have been a factor but parachuting in the sister of Jo Cox despite only rejoining the Labour Party relatively recently probably helped too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The thing about this seat is that many factors were at play in the overall outcome, but my point is that had the Tories not had a bad week they may have won the seat regardless of Jo Cox's sister AND George Galloway.

This is also a 60% Brexit-voting seat voting Labour, so the 'getting Brexit done' factor definitely appears to be on the wane.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Winning by 300 or so in what should be a rock solid Labour Seat isn't exactly a resounding result for Sir Keir, of course losing so many votes to that horrible cockwomble Galloway didn't help.

Still think Labour are in a mess, they should be knocking it out of the park when you look at the Boris Omnishambles...

It’s never been a rock solid Labour seat. It was Tory for 14 years and then changed to Labour under Tony Blair.

That may well have been a factor but parachuting in the sister of Jo Cox despite only rejoining the Labour Party relatively recently probably helped too.

Far from being parachuted in, Kim is the only one of the candidates who actually lived in the area.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The thing about this seat is that many factors were at play in the overall outcome, but my point is that had the Tories not had a bad week they may have won the seat regardless of Jo Cox's sister AND George Galloway.

This is also a 60% Brexit-voting seat voting Labour, so the 'getting Brexit done' factor definitely appears to be on the wane.
Fair points, we will never know which element finally tipped it in Labour's favour but I am sure we can all agree Galloway is a grade A c*** [emoji106]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But the fact he got 22% of the vote should worry all of us.

GG played the ethnic Pakistani demographic like a piano. Kashmir, Labour too chuumy with India, LGBT non-teaching in schools, etc, as well as Starmer is a traitor to the working class.

He's a great orator and campaigner, but on extreme politics and his like carry little weight at general elections.

I'm not worried.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It’s never been a rock solid Labour seat. It was Tory for 14 years and then changed to Labour under Tony Blair.

Far from being parachuted in, Kim is the only one of the candidates who actually lived in the area.
She didn't meet the initial required threshold for qualifying as a Labour candidate it was rigged so she could stand. Fair play it seems to have worked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair points, we will never know which element finally tipped it in Labour's favour but I am sure we can all agree Galloway is a grade A c*** [emoji106]

On that we most definitely ARE agreed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Are you sure you're not mistaken, because I was given to understand that JCFG is first and foremost a bringer of truth, not constant bullshit :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why, and please try not to reply with “If I have to explain it to you blah blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the sake of keeping this out of the pit let's be kind and say it's rather ignorant dismissal of a very good and local candidate.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A point that is getting played down in much of the media coverage is that of Kashmir and the appalling treatment of Indian Muslims by an unpleasant Hindu Nationalist Government.

Labour's failure to take a public position on what is a very real issue, especially as Johnson was sucking up to Modi in the hope of a trade deal, opened the door for Galloway's opportunistic and cynical campaign. If you follow India politics, and especially if you have links to family or friends in Kashmir, you'd have expected more of Labour.

I see little in this particular by election to draw wider lessons from at the moment. There are too many locally unique factors at play. The result, and the what it may mean, have been massively over-simplified in the press. Inevitably.

Tacit support for Modi is there from GB because India is seen as a potential bullwalk against China and of course India is potentially a big market for trade, even more so since BREXIT. Its no different to our cosying up to Saudi Arabia , which has the petrol and is against Iran and therefore by definition an ally( that's world politics) but is a very unjust regime . I wonder if the same Muslim groups condemn Pakistan for their support of China's handling of the Uyghurs. Kashmir is about territory first then people.

Israel's position regards its treatment of Palestinians has not been good of late but to be fair the Palestinians are not liked or treated well by the Arab countries that surround Israel. Further it should come of little surprise that a country which is surrounded by people who hate them (Iran has stated it wants to annihilate Israel and the Israelis) is not tolerant of those within its borders who support the Israeli over throw. The situation is of course compounded by the impact of the holocaust on the Israeli psyche - never again will we give up with out a struggle.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For the sake of keeping this out of the pit let's be kind and say it's rather ignorant dismissal of a very good and local candidate.

And while you're in a helpful and generous mood, your mission tonight, (should you choose to accept it) is to keep this thread out of the bear pit and chicken run out of moderating decisions. I'm off to dinner.

Good luck

Cue mission Impossible theme :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And while you're in a helpful and generous mood, your mission tonight, (should you choose to accept it) is to keep this thread out of the bear pit and chicken run out of moderating decisions. I'm off to dinner.

Good luck

Try and keep to the topic please, we are all behaving like grown ups, try and do the same without snide comments eh?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Good luck

Hah! I'm afraid not, early one for me, mate. Just come off nights. Dinner and beddy-bo-byes. He's on his own :mad:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
GG played the ethnic Pakistani demographic like a piano. Kashmir, Labour too chuumy with India, LGBT non-teaching in schools, etc, as well as Starmer is a traitor to the working class.

He's a great orator and campaigner, but on extreme politics and his like carry little weight at general elections.

I'm not worried.

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you sit but Farage was/is a good Orator , talking shit but doing it in a convincing way , persuading people that our problems lie with European workers and his politics hit mainstream politics. Galloway could easily follow the same route , form a party to compete nation wide and split the Labour vote . All good if you are on the right of the Tory party but no good if you are a centrist (centralist?) who feel extreme politics are no good for the man in the street.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Try and keep to the topic please, we are all behaving like grown ups, try and do the same without snide comments eh?

Our very own 'George Galloway' of NSC although Clampy is a very close challenger.

On topic, it will be interesting to see if Starmer can keep a lid on the internal divisions and build on this result.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Our very own 'George Galloway' of NSC although Clampy is a very close challenger.

On topic, it will be interesting to see if Starmer can keep a lid on the internal divisions and build on this result.

Yet you're the one having a pop at Kim Leadbetter. :facepalm:

Priceless.

Night.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
First and foremost a bringer of truth and realistic counterpoint analysis to educate and inform the deluded "progressive'/woke masses on NSC, BL! [emoji6]

Be careful with using the 'voice of truth/reason' type tag. I often oppose your political views but you are a good debate. I can't abide folk having an absolute and intransigent view on things though.

I opposed Brexit, and still think it will lead to a more insular society with an increasing danger of intolerance.

But I'm also mindful I could be talking a load of shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here