Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Batley & Spen by-election

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don’t think it’s just Muslims. I’m not aware of many religions or belief systems where homosexuality is embraced let alone tolerated. Huge elements of Orthodox, Catholic & Evangelical Christianity are equally at odds with homosexuality in my experience.

Why?

I’m guessing because it wasn’t well understood or tolerated thousands of years ago when many religions developed their original central doctrines or dogmas.

I think it was widely accepted in ancient Greek and Roman culture, albeit mainly in the context of old men doing it with young boys. Conversely, they found the idea of two mature men having sex out of mutual attraction weird.

I realise this doesn't help answer the question.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nobody has mentioned the Matt Hancock factor. If the Tories had gained another 324 votes they would have taken the seat.

How many potential Tory voters will have Voted Labour, or not voted at all, after Hancock's video, his pathetic apology, Boris's misjudgement not to sack him on the spot and utter failure to lead?

Had the Tories got the same percentage of the vote as as last time (36%) they would have won - not lost - by 300-odd votes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
yep, this

it's despised in hardcore Christian circles as well. It most certainly wouldn't be fun being gay in a primarily Muslim nation (Saudi Arabia etc), but it's probably not much fun in a lot of hardcore Christian countries where it would be a miserable experience as well.

Russia, Hungary and Poland right now providing an element of this not very far from our doorsteps

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A good result for several reasons.

It prevents the Labour and union insiders gaining traction in their hopes to oust Starmer.

Galloway's stirring didn't work.

We need a functioning opposition, with as many seats in the Commons as possible.

But still an awful campaign by all, with no parties taking an openly firm line on the teaching of LGBT in schools in Batley.

But the fact he got 22% of the vote should worry all of us.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nobody has mentioned the Matt Hancock factor. If the Tories had gained another 324 votes they would have taken the seat.

How many potential Tory voters will have Voted Labour, or not voted at all, after Hancock's video, his pathetic apology, Boris's misjudgement not to sack him on the spot and utter failure to lead?

Had the Tories got the same percentage of the vote as as last time (36%) they would have won - not lost - by 300-odd votes.

Can I ask a genuine question ?

I've noticed that a large percentage of folk refer to our prime minister as 'Boris' and almost every other politician by their surname. I've not seen it with any other prime minister at any time.

Why is this ? It would only be used as a salutation for someone in political circles if they were held in great affection. I'm not sure he is (Unless I have that wrong).

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Winning by 300 or so in what should be a rock solid Labour Seat isn't exactly a resounding result for Sir Keir, of course losing so many votes to that horrible cockwomble Galloway didn't help.

Still think Labour are in a mess, they should be knocking it out of the park when you look at the Boris Omnishambles...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I've noticed that a large percentage of folk refer to our prime minister as 'Boris' and almost every other politician by their surname. I've not seen it with any other prime minister at any time.

Why is this ? It would only be used as a salutation for someone in political circles if they were held in great affection. I'm not sure he is (Unless I have that wrong).

Deliberate strategy from the Tories to refer to him this way and the media have fallen into the habit. The public follow the lead without thinking too much
Makes him sound cuddly.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Apart from Maggie, obvs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A lot of tyrants like being referred to by first names or nicknames. Reinforces their belief that everyone is their friend. I always call him Johnson or Boris Johnson. Because he’s not my friend and I think he’s a ****.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Apart from Maggie, obvs.

I wonder if that's answered the question.

I think 'Maggie' was more the cultural idiom applied to her rather than a term of affection.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Labour supporters wet themselves, Tory's shrug.

Least it prevents a hard left coup, puts pressure on the Tory's but most importantly, that absolute CJTC Galloway can take his hate and go home.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Weren't you around for Maggie, as in 'Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, Out, Out, Out!"?

Churchill was Winnie, Disraeli was Dizzy. This is not new.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Batley & Spen by-election

I don’t think it’s just Muslims. I’m not aware of many religions or belief systems where homosexuality is embraced let alone tolerated. Huge elements of Orthodox, Catholic & Evangelical Christianity are equally at odds with homosexuality in my experience.

Why?

I’m guessing because it wasn’t well understood or tolerated thousands of years ago when many religions developed their original central doctrines or dogmas.

But I wasn’t talking about other religions, I’m fully aware of their views, I was asking about Muslims[emoji1745]

Second point is as we are talking about Other religions , are their any cases of a UK teacher being mob rounded on and driven from his job into hiding for allegedly mocking any other of the religions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Deliberate strategy from the Tories to refer to him this way and the media have fallen into the habit. The public follow the lead without thinking too much
Makes him sound cuddly.
Not sure how many ex wives and mistresses think he is " Cuddly " post Johnson.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

You’ll have heard a couple of explanations mostly a bit conspiracy, personally I think it’s laziness, easier to type Boris than Johnson or indeed trying to get the right spelling [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

That may well have been a factor but parachuting in the sister of Jo Cox despite only rejoining the Labour Party relatively recently probably helped too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That may well have been a factor but parachuting in the sister of Jo Cox despite only rejoining the Labour Party relatively recently probably helped too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ouch. That’s a new low, even for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here