Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barwick - 39th overseas game a "fantastic idea"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be fair we are very inward looking as a nation, I think it's got something to do with the fact we're an island.

You look at the number of foreigners though who make our league so great and maybe it's time we gave something back to these many nations who are represented in the Premier League.

What? The nation that marched in to countless countries in its history - uninvited - in order to take them over.

The same nation that believes itself arrogant enough to think that other countries want someone else's league games played in their country, without one single consideration being given to that country's league infrastructure, nor the effect it will have on it.

Per-lease.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The latest Scudamore spin I read in The Times today is that as a nation "we're naturally resistant to change".

Oh, so thats why the yanks, the asians, the aussies, FIFA and UEFA are all decidedly lukewarm on all this shit as well is it DICK ?

'Parochial' was the word he used on Five.

Parochial - of or relating to a Church Parish Church. Having limited or narrow outlook or scope.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be fair we are very inward looking as a nation, I think it's got something to do with the fact we're an island.

You look at the number of foreigners though who make our league so great and maybe it's time we gave something back to these many nations who are represented in the Premier League.

Do you truley believe that ? Seriously ?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth

Good idea. I think the Premiership chairman should play these games for FREE and GIVE something to these nations.

How many chairman do you think would go for that idea? Or do you think they are in it for the extra £5 mill profit that this will clear if it goes ahead?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The biggest problem is the 39th fixture and the viability of it. Obviously it was going to be a big sticking point.

If the guy had a brain he would have concentrated his efforts oneither a rehacked Community Shield match at the start of the season or a Premiership All-Stars vs Host League's XI at the end of the season.

With the latter there would be one country chosen to host. Let's say the MLS in the USA get together their best league team - possibly including Beckham - vs. a Prem team of, say:

1. Cech
2. Gary Neville
3. Ashley Cole
4. Carvalho
5. Ferdinand
6. Ronaldo
7. Gerrard
8. Scholes
9. Berbatov
10.Rooney
11.Drogba.

That team could be managed by, say the manager of the FA Cup winners. I'd watch a match like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its dead in the water according to reports on BBC News tonight.

FIFA have apparently declared they won't sanction it. The FA are apparently going to issue a statement tomorrow saying they will not back the plans.

Would have been nice if the FA had come out and taken the LEAD on this rather than waiting on the worlds governing body to rubbish it before hanging on their coat-tails, but hey-ho. You can't expect leadership from Barwick. The main thing is, its looking very much like it ain't gonna happen.

Dalef65

Oct 12, 2010
Its not really back on the agenda,its just the new Liverpool owner making a speech on loads of issues and commenting on stuff that he hasnt really got his head around yet.
As far as I know,he has also said something like Liverpool fans will have to wait for a new stadium,for up to three years.....probably someone just shoved a microphone under his nose and away he went.......

Consider also that this is a slow news day at the BBC due to the NUJ strike,and you can see how this sort of guff gets centre stage.....

Nothing at all to even blink about

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so this is the incoming chairman of Liverpool. the only possible, and fair, way this could work is if two teams elected to play their fixture overseas. maybe Liverpool v Man U in the Malaysia national stadium?

then find how long you are in that job for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here