Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barwick - 39th overseas game a "fantastic idea"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why pick on the best player in the world. The reason the likes of Ronaldo play over here is because of the forming of the Premier league in the nineties which brought new wealth into the English game. This is just part of that same expansion and marketing of a product.

Cor, you sound just like Scudamore. "Expansion and marketing of a product" - or should that be "BRAND" ? Thats the buzzword these days for our national game these days isn't it.

YOU might be perfectly comfortable with the motives of the people running the game and driving this idea. You might even be excited at the prospect of viewing 10 games in a row, back-to-back over one weekend, all beamed into your living room from every corner of the globe. Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Thankfully you would seem to be in a very small minority though, because whatever spin the moneymen come out with, we all know they don't really care what damage they cause, as long as they're getting a nice fat juicy wedge out of it. And thats the bottom line.

Jul 20, 2003
I am mindful of certain Ted Hughes' 'Pike' when I think of the Premiership

One jammed past its gills down the other's gullet:
The outside eye stared: as a vice locks-
The same iron in this eye
Though its film shrank in death.

f*** 'em

f*** 'em all to hell

the game's the thing

Jul 20, 2003
To clarify, I think they should insert Barwick into Scudamore and let him die there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If as Easy 10 says Scudamore just says f*** the FA and forms a break away league, as Kerry Packer did with cricket, none of the people involved, players managers refs etc would be permitted to play against any team registered within an FA so that would mean the end of our participation in the EUFA Champions League and the end of any of those players involved playing international football. Such serious repercussions that as he said there will be some serious 'incentives' given to ensure that the FA sanction the proposals. Our best hope is Blatter or Platini and their respective associations.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The fans could kill this barking mad plan dead within a couple of days. If everyone rang up can cancelled their Sky sports subscription if this plan went ahead then the clubs would abandon their plans instantly - the income gained from one game in Bangkok would be peanuts compared to the loss of Sky money.

It won't happen though, for all the fans' griping about it. They'll all be happy to go along with the flow and in a couple of years will be settling down to watch Man U v Bolton live from Dubai.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Cor, you sound just like Scudamore. "Expansion and marketing of a product" - or should that be "BRAND" ? Thats the buzzword these days for our national game these days isn't it.

YOU might be perfectly comfortable with the motives of the people running the game and driving this idea. You might even be excited at the prospect of viewing 10 games in a row, back-to-back over one weekend, all beamed into your living room from every corner of the globe. Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Thankfully you would seem to be in a very small minority though, because whatever spin the moneymen come out with, we all know they don't really care what damage they cause, as long as they're getting a nice fat juicy wedge out of it. And thats the bottom line.

Its always been about money you mad fool..............

If the Conference wanted a part of The Coca Cola leagues dosh I bet us at Brighton would be the first to give them some of our ackers...............

Yeah right.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
From todays Torygraph.....

The President of the Asian Football Association opposes the project to play Premiership games in Asia. Splendid chap.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/02/13/sfnbon113.xml

I’m not sure they oppose this deep down. Again, Samuels got this right in the Times today. It’s partly about not appearing overly keen to drive down price and increase the bargaining position. He also got it right to say that eventually 11 Chinese in a country with a population in the billions will eventually learn to play football. Then, no-one will give a flying f*** about the Premiership anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Samuels ALWAYS got it right. He's the best hack there is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't argue with that Hiney. But he certainly weaves some beautiful patterns in print.

Anyway, I LOVED this latest comment from the Asian football president:

"But they are interfering with the domestic and local competitions in different national associations if they think this idea can be realised. I appreciate, for example, if the Premier League want to play in Darfur, Somalia or East Timor where they can act as peace makers".

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
I can just see those pampered primadonna pricks being forced to play in some stinking flea-bitten dustbowl in Somalia as part of a peace-keeping mission. Scudamore would just LOVE that I'm sure.

I notice that one week on, we STILL have a deafening silence from our own National Association on all this which is an utter DISGRACE. What the f*** is Barwick doing ? Launch a new England shirt and you can't get away from wall-to-wall pictures in the press of his gurning mug all over the shop. But when bombshell plans are unveiled (a WEEK ago now) that would drastically alter the fabric of the english game forever, he does a Lord Lucan on us. Much like crodonilson, we have yet to hear from the horses mouth what he actually thinks of this. Unbelievable.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can just see those pampered primadonna pricks being forced to play in some stinking flea-bitten dustbowl in Somalia as part of a peace-keeping mission. Scudamore would just LOVE that I'm sure.

Good point Easy, the only thing is, your average Premier League footballer probably thinks Darfur is one of the Canary Islands...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good point Easy, the only thing is, your average Premier League footballer probably thinks Darfur is one of the Canary Islands...
:lolol:

Excellent, we can get them out there under false pretences then.

"Yes Christiano, the Mogadishu Esplanade Plaza is reknowned for its ensuite facilities, bath spa, gym and sauna. A stunning vista and friendly locals will make your stay there both memorable and enjoyable".

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
The Middlesbrough chief exec was in the papers yesterday saying how the extra £5 million quid from the foreign games would come in useful. Well here’s an idea. Jeremy Aliadiere is TOILET. He scores once every six months and that Arsene Wenger can spot a good player and only tends to sell the ones who make Mark Mccammon look like Wayne Rooney. Next time Southgate comes cap in hand for an Arsenal reject, tell him to shove it. That’ll be £5 mill in the bank without breaking sweat.

You have not been charged for this information.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh look, here's a surprise. The guy that had input in developing the idea in the first place, Sir Rod Eddington works for...................................................Sky!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am suprised that a fan of a premier side has not started an online petition to try to stop this or to approach the Minister of Sport, I am sure that if it affected BHA somebody here would have done so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The latest Scudamore spin I read in The Times today is that as a nation "we're naturally resistant to change".

Oh, so thats why the yanks, the asians, the aussies, FIFA and UEFA are all decidedly lukewarm on all this shit as well is it DICK ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The latest Scudamore spin I read in The Times today is that as a nation "we're naturally resistant to change".

Oh, so thats why the yanks, the asians, the aussies, FIFA and UEFA are all decidedly lukewarm on all this shit as well is it DICK ?

To be fair we are very inward looking as a nation, I think it's got something to do with the fact we're an island.

You look at the number of foreigners though who make our league so great and maybe it's time we gave something back to these many nations who are represented in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here