Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barwick - 39th overseas game a "fantastic idea"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Edna and Hannibal - I'll acknowledge that there are certainly some aspects of the game nowadays that are better, some of which you rightly mention. But in my opinion, they are far and away completely trounced out of sight by the negatives.

I would happily piss in an open sewer in full view of the away end and the dugout if it meant I was going back to stand on a terrace.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed, just look at attendances in the early/mid eighties, Liverpool got crowds as low as 25,000 and Man Utd often got less than 30,000.
United frequently topped the average league crowd list as they do now - but with average gates of about 41,000.

That's a crap crowd for Man City these days.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Scudamore told Sean Custis of The Sun viz further worldwide matches that "the 40th match will not happen on my watch". Now today I see from 2 newspapers that he's done a 180 and said it will be considered - probably because he's now got the backing of Barwick.

Scudamore's remuneration is directly linked to the profitability of the Premier League therefore the more money it makes the more money he makes.

What I don't understand is how 3 Premier League chairmen are allowed to sit on the FA panel. There is a clear conflict of interest, and this would NOT be allowed in any other industry.

Only a couple of years ago Sven was pushing for a winter break and the FA endorsed this view, but this idea was rejected by the Premier League. How the hell can they justify supporting a move that will involve international players flying halfway around the world?

Barwick HAS to go over this, and the FA has to be totally overhauled.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agree Pav.
I saw this in Patrick Collins's column yesterday:

"Last summer, the Premier League promoted a pre-season tournament in Hong Kong. The competing clubs included Liverpool, Fulham and Portsmouth.

It was, according to my colleague Joe Bernstein, an agreeable occasion.

One day, in the middle of the tournament, Bernstein saw a familiar figure returning from a round of golf. They chatted in the afternoon heat.

Bernstein asked him if he could imagine an authentic Premier League match ever being played abroad. The golfer dismissed the notion.

"Not while I'm in charge of the Premier League," said Richard Scudamore.

Lying conniving, grasping wanker.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Scudamore told Sean Custis of The Sun viz further worldwide matches that "the 40th match will not happen on my watch". Now today I see from 2 newspapers that he's done a 180 and said it will be considered - probably because he's now got the backing of Barwick.

Scudamore's remuneration is directly linked to the profitability of the Premier League therefore the more money it makes the more money he makes.

What I don't understand is how 3 Premier League chairmen are allowed to sit on the FA panel. There is a clear conflict of interest, and this would NOT be allowed in any other industry.

Only a couple of years ago Sven was pushing for a winter break and the FA endorsed this view, but this idea was rejected by the Premier League. How the hell can they justify supporting a move that will involve international players flying halfway around the world?

Barwick HAS to go over this, and the FA has to be totally overhauled.

I am still to see any quote from the F.A Barwick or otherwise backing this??

:tosser:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The tosser sign is a little uncalled for. You're right insofar as the FA (quite unbelievably) have STILL yet to make an official statement on this. The BBC carried this in their report yesterday:

The Premier League chief, who insisted that FA Cup replays would not be scrapped if the extra league matches came to fruition, revealed that he had met Football Association counterpart Brian Barwick to discuss the plans. "The FA can see the hurdles but they were supportive" he said

Plus the quote on 5-Live yesterday where Scudamore claimed Barwick had said it was a "fantastic idea", so I accept its all 3rd-hand quotes so far on his behalf from that slimeball Scudamore. But are you saying that you think Barwick will eventually do the right thing and come out AGAINST these plans then ? What will be your reaction if (as is being claimed) Barwick is indeed supporting them ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well to be honest this tread has narked me somewhat, we now have the best part of 50 posts, the majority slagging off Barwick and the F.A on a stance they've not even taken.

Anything to get a dig at Barwick, the whole thing is getting a bit tedious.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What has left some people very angry and disappointed with the FA is not that they have come out with some mealy-mouthed form of words not quite fully backing, but certainly not opposing this idea.

It is that they didn't, 100 per cent, from the off, condemn it outright for the sort of football integrity reasons they are supposed to be defending.

I actually think the FA are worse than the Premier League. At least you 'know your enemy' with Scudamore and the chairmen, it's just sheer greed and going all-out for the money every time.

With the FA it's a bit more sinister - deals here, there and everywhere, sponsor considerations and all sorts of other covert alliances and influences.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well to be honest this tread has narked me somewhat, we now have the best part of 50 posts, the majority slagging off Barwick and the F.A on a stance they've not even taken.

Anything to get a dig at Barwick, the whole thing is getting a bit tedious.

I think a dig at Barwick is quite justifed. This plan is the biggest bombshell to hit english football since the inception of the Premiership, the world and his dog have given their reaction to it, and yet your mate and his cronies at the GOVERNING BODY of football in this country have said absolutely NOTHING ! All we have is some brief soundbites from Scudamore claiming that the FA are in support.

Chairmen, players, managers, Platini, everyone has spoken out with their thoughts on whether they are for or against this. Do you not find it STUNNING that the FA have so far said zilch ?

And you didn't answer my question - what will be your opinion if Barwick backs these plans ? What are YOUR opinions on these plans ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The mistake people make is thinking that the big boys will break away and leave the rest of us looking up at them crying. If they think thats best let them go. I bet Man Utd fans would rather beat City than Juventus in some sort of euro league.

The top clubs will eventually move into a european super league - thats inevitable.

But why should we worry. Its big business and some of the dosh will filter down... it always does.

The game is stronger now than it has ever been with structured and financed junior football at its very best. The elite clubs will forge on ahead on their own but it will not affect the rest one iota.

Nostalgia for the old days when good old Alan Hardaker and Bert Millichip ruled the roost........ Mmmmm.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think a dig at Barwick is quite justifed. This plan is the biggest bombshell to hit english football since the inception of the Premiership, the world and his dog have given their reaction to it, and yet your mate and his cronies at the GOVERNING BODY of football in this country have said absolutely NOTHING ! All we have is some brief soundbites from Scudamore claiming that the FA are in support.

Chairmen, players, managers, Platini, everyone has spoken out with their thoughts on whether they are for or against this. Do you not find it STUNNING that the FA have so far said zilch ?

And you didn't answer my question - what will be your opinion if Barwick backs these plans ? What are YOUR opinions on these plans ?

Maybe stepping back and having a more detailed look at it all before whinging about it like that French twat Platini is a good thing.

I think the Charity shield could go to Asia for a match.... why not ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe stepping back and having a more detailed look at it all before whinging about it like that French twat Platini is a good thing.

I think the Charity shield could go to Asia for a match.... why not ?

They've taken such a step back they wern't even at the frigging meeting - says it all. And everything Platini said about it was absolutely spot on.

Charity Shield ? Absolutely. No problem with that. Its not a competative game, nothing is really resting on it, if they want to take that to some far flung corner then let them get on with it. (Havinng said that, it would mean one less game at Wembley so I don't think the FA would be overly keen, but thats not what they are proposing, so its pointless discussing the merits anyway).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They've taken such a step back they wern't even at the frigging meeting - says it all. And everything Platini said about it was absolutely spot on.

Charity Shield ? Absolutely. No problem with that. Its not a competative game, nothing is really resting on it, if they want to take that to some far flung corner then let them get on with it. (Havinng said that, it would mean one less game at Wembley so I don't think the FA would be overly keen, but thats not what they are proposing, so its pointless discussing the merits anyway).

So you are really arguing on behalf of the Man Utd and Chelsea fans because they are the only ones who will miss out.

Never thought I`d see the day on NSC.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The only comment the FA has made is this official statement

The FA appreciates the Premier League making us aware of this interesting proposal in advance of today's meeting.

We understand the Premier League's desire to raise interest in English football around the world.

We look forward to discussing the detail with the League and looking carefully at the implications, to ensure that the proposal fits well alongside the existing fixture list, including our domestic cup and league competitions and our national team games.

We know that the Premier League are equally conscious of these issues

To me does not exactly sound like they are against the idea as long as it does not mess with the existing fixture list. Where is the mark of concern this could have on the English game.

The FA show no resistance because they don't have the conviction or power to stand in the way of anything. Money talks and Scudamore has a free roam to do whatever he wants unchallenged.

Compare the FA to FIFA you may not like Blatter or Platini but they have never ducked an issue even if it was unpopular.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you are really arguing on behalf of the Man Utd and Chelsea fans because they are the only ones who will miss out.

Never thought I`d see the day on NSC.

No no, I'm arguing on behalf of the players. I don't think they earn NEARLY enough these days, and this is just the clubs trying to further exploit them. Especially that poor Ronaldo, he looked shattered at the end of the game yesterday. I felt SO sorry for him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No no, I'm arguing on behalf of the players. I don't think they earn NEARLY enough these days, and this is just the clubs trying to further exploit them. Especially that poor Ronaldo, he looked shattered at the end of the game yesterday. I felt SO sorry for him.

Why pick on the best player in the world. The reason the likes of Ronaldo play over here is because of the forming of the Premier league in the nineties which brought new wealth into the English game. This is just part of that same expansion and marketing of a product.

I haven't seen the quote he says it's been a fantastic idea

From The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article3346374.ece

February 11, 2008

Richard Scudamore predicts global plan approved by next year

Gary Jacob

Richard Scudamore believes that the proposal to play league games abroad could be approved by this time next year. The Premier League chief executive did not rule out the possibility of playing more than one set of matches abroad in future years. The plan to extend the season by one match, which would be played in five cities across the world from January 2011, has been met by a chorus of disapproval from fans.

“I think it will [happen],” Scudamore said. “I think it’s got momentum, I think it’s got a huge amount of merit. I don’t envisage this being able to be expanded within the current structures. The calendar - at the absolute limit – just would not allow it. You can’t sit here and say [there will] never [be more than one match abroad].

He does not believe that Fifa’s statutes prevent the proposal and claimed that he has support. “The FA are excited by the prospect, but they can see hurdles,” he said. “Brian Barwick [the FA chief executive] thought it was a fantastic idea.”

From Reuters

http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballNews/idUKL1032074720080210?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Premier League confident overseas expansion will happen

Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:03pm GMT

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - The Premier League are confident that their plan to play matches abroad will become reality after a positive initial reaction from the English FA, chief executive Richard Scudamore said on Sunday.

"I think it will (happen)," he told BBC radio. "I think it's got a momentum, I think it's got a huge amount of merit."

The plans for an extra 'International Round' to be played from January 2011, which all 20 clubs have agreed to explore, have met a chorus of disapproval from the media and soccer supporters since they were revealed on Thursday.

UEFA President Michael Platini branded it a "strange and comical idea" in an interview with the Daily Telegraph on Saturday.

However Scudamore said the FA, who would have to sanction plans that would extend the Premier League season from 38 to 39 matches, had been more receptive of what he called "an idea whose time has come".

"They, like us, can see the hurdles but they were supportive," he said.

"(FA Chief Executive Brian Barwick) thought it was a fantastic idea but he did rather, with his humorous way as he does, say I'm sure in a few weeks' time I'll have thought of a few reasons why it's not such a good idea," added Scudamore.

"But his initial reaction was that it was a great idea."

Scudamore also found an ally in former West Ham great Geoff Hurst, who scored a World Cup-winning hat-trick for England in the 1966 final.

"I come from a club and a background under Ron Greenwood where he very much believed that football was a global game," he told the BBC.

"In principle I am not against taking football, and our great teams that are watched all over the world, all over the world for other fans to see live...If they see that as a good idea, then I'm not against it."

FIFA TALKS

Scudamore dismissed a suggestion in the Observer newspaper that the FA's support would be dependent on clubs agreeing to field full-strength teams in the FA Cup, to release players without complaint for all England games and to lend their support to the 2018 World Cup bid.

"They are actually current rules. Clubs do release players because that's what the rules say they have to do," he said.

Scudamore said he had had a short conversation with FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, who was in hospital on Thursday and Friday, about the idea and a full briefing to the world body would follow.

Asked whether the league needed the blessing of FIFA to proceed, he continued: "We believe FIFA statutes don't currently cover this. I think they do deal with clubs not being allowed to go and play in other leagues, which is clearly not what this is, and international fixtures.

"But we are not looking to upset anybody on this. It's more a question of why would we want to do it and upset everybody in the process? We wouldn't.

"It would be disingenuous to say we had support and disingenuous to say we didn't," he said of FIFA's initial reaction.

"It was a very brief conversation, Jerome Valcke is not well at the moment...all we did was set up the opportunity to go and discuss it properly through the proper channels."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Scudamore: "I'd like you to support our greedy, grubby little scheme to play matches overseas."

Jerome Valcke: "I'm very ill and in hospital. Can't this wait?"

Scudamore: "No, this is really important."

Valcke: "F**k off you money-mad clown."

Scudamore (press release): "FIFA are in favour."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The best we can hope for as a nation is for EUFA and/ or FIFA to not sanction it orindeed any FA of the country the game is tpo be played in to not sanction ithe game. This then makes any person who takes part including the refs and assistants, managers etc all in breach of FA rules and can thereforebe banned.

When on Surrey FA I was on the Leagues and Sanctions Committees and we had many examples of clubs just arranginga friendly against opposition from another county with out sanctiion and had to stop the games or get sanction. Getting sacnction isa very sim[ple process you just inform the FAs of both clubs that you wuish to play the game etc and give the details and you receive a letter back saying yes or no. It is nowhere near a certainty that sanction will be given. If it is refused by either the English FA , any expected participant country's FA , FIFA or EUFA the idea must be scrapped end of story irrespective of what Scudamore or anybody else says.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Scudamore: "I'd like you to support our greedy, grubby little scheme to play matches overseas."

Jerome Valcke: "I'm very ill and in hospital. Can't this wait?"

Scudamore: "No, this is really important."

Valcke: "F**k off you money-mad clown."

Scudamore (press release): "FIFA are in favour."
:D
Very good.

I'm not sure where Scudamore could go with this if the FA and FIFA actually do something worthwhile for once and decide to veto the whole thing. At the moment, the noises coming out (or lack of them) would suggest that the FA are probably standing around wringing their hands, waiting to take their lead from whatever Blatter decides. If the FA actually grow some balls, come out and say NO, then I would anticipate Scudamore and the 20 Premiership chairmen making some kind of motion to break away completely and form their own competition to include these games abroad.

But if FIFA also declare this a non-starter, then surely its just dead in the water. With no officially sanctioned referees and officials involved from the FA (domestically), or FIFA (internationally), and no FIFA registered agents able to hawk the worlds players in and out of this little private club they'd want to create, theres no way they could get their own competition off the ground. Scudamore will find he absolutely NEEDS the blessing of the FA and FIFA to carry this out, or its a dead duck.

I'm encouraged so far by the reaction of the sensible majority, but my fear is that theres enough money involved in all this for some seriously powerful palms to be greased. We could be looking for some real strength and integrity from Barwick and Blatter here - and thats not something I'm overly confident of getting from those two. At all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here