Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

barnes signs

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is very good news. I will always remember him as the on-loan striker that Gus was afraid to play as he was scoring too many goals.:clap2:

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
You should be grateful that Plymouth appointed the clueless Peter Reid. There could hardly be a greater contrast than between the young, exciting Gus Poyet and old "monkey heed". The choice of worst managerial appointment of this Summer must be between Reid and former Argyle favourite Sturrock, the latter having been a very good manager but now so clearly past his best.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Gus must have been in Reid's ear while they were on the tv together to have gotten the deal done in reasonably quick time.

It is some what surprising that a new manager wouldn't at least try and have a look at him in a few pre-season games before deciding on stay or go.

Hopefully their loss is our big gain.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think that Barnes will be amazing for us this season, and this is definitely the most exciting signing we've made for me. He is a really intelligent player and I believe he could easily net us 20 goals++++. You wait and see it happen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gus must have been in Reid's ear while they were on the tv together to have gotten the deal done in reasonably quick time.

It is some what surprising that a new manager wouldn't at least try and have a look at him in a few pre-season games before deciding on stay or go.

Hopefully their loss is our big gain.

Reid didn't get the job, until AFTER they had finished that gig.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone want a wager re: Barnes getting 20+ goals a season?

Some people seem very certain about it, I don't think he'll play enough to get that many...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Some people seem very certain about it, I don't think he'll play enough to get that many...

I certainly think he will. Gus was taking him off once he'd scored one last season as he was worried about getting too many and his price rocketing. He'll also have a good pre-season with Gus behind him and will be maturing and gaining far more match experience that he's ever had.

There is, of course, the possibility that Gus will bring in a star striker and he won't get a look-in, however.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010

I will.

Give me your bank account details and i will set it up! :wink:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Watch it happen, people say that he was lucky with his goals last season (apart from that absolute corker from 30 yards out) but I just think it proves he is a clever footballer, quick minded and quick footed, gets in the right places and puts the ball in the back of the net, what more do you want?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey, I could make a fair bit of money here.

I feel fairly CERTAIN we're still going to see a higher quality signing coming in, and it'll be Murray and Barnes taking it in turns partnering them.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
All ifs and buts, I think he will get the goals if he gets the games, people saying he will ONLY get 15, Foz and Murray have got much more experience and only get around that figure!

Others saying he was lucky, well hey, i'll take a lucky striker anyday!

I think there will be another striker coming in, but have a feeling he will be replacing Murray who will be on his way.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
Argyle fan here in peace, you all seem rather excited about the signing, he has only been good for you and whether that was because GP got the best out of him or whether he just hit form at the right time I do not know. From an Argyle fans view we are pleased to see him go we need to reduce our squad and he is probably the 5th or 6th best striker on our books. Any idea of the fee that you paid for him ?

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Argyle fan here in peace, you all seem rather excited about the signing, he has only been good for you and whether that was because GP got the best out of him or whether he just hit form at the right time I do not know. From an Argyle fans view we are pleased to see him go we need to reduce our squad and he is probably the 5th or 6th best striker on our books. Any idea of the fee that you paid for him ?

£6.8m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here