Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes red looks fair

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I just saw it for the first time, and then over and over again on rewind, I'm very surprised you and others see it this way, to me looks clearly as if Barnes has raised his foot to trap the ball and spin, and then the Burnley guy flies in out of nowhere and Barnes falls over him. I still cannot see anywhere this 'stamp' that he is supposed to do according to some.
This all day long.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I actually think that both Barnes and their player should have gone. You can see that their player lunges with two feet and simultaneously Barnes is doing a studs up stamping thing with one foot. It's way to generous to suggest that Barnes is jumping the challenge or about to do a spin turn. Of course the only other issue is how their player gets away with throttling Barnes when he's on the ground. Let's not forget that both teams were probably still pumped up after the first red and Barnes for a little fella had got a bit of the Harty style giggle about him.

In terms of the key decision to prove how poor the ref was it had to be the two handed shove in the back on Noone which he waived on.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Having seen the incident live and a couple of times on telly now I am even more incensed than I was to start with. My view at the time was that it was a 50/50 ball that both players challenged badly for, and that the Burnley player should have been sent off for attacking Barnes. The footage shown on telly actually makes the challenge of the Burnley player look worse than I recalled - if Barnes deserved a red card then I can only assume that a life ban from football is the least that the Burnley lad deserved.

Very, very bad refereeing.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The Burnley lunged in feet first the same as Barnes but then also shoved Barnes's face into the ground>>>
When he sent off Barnes the Burnley twat should have gone too END OF !!!!!!!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I have now seen it many times, and personally still have no problem with it. He jumped in with both feet off the ground, was very late. Always a red in any other game - if that had been say Paul Scholes on someone, I bet almost everyone would say "red".

As I said elsewehere, the fact that it is being debated, indicates it was not clear-cut and therefore no an obvious mistake by the ref, therefore no chance of rescinding the card.

See thats interesting Rich, I've looked at it quite a few times, and I don't see that Barnes came in two footed? The Burnley player slid in with both feet, Barnes looks to start some sort of stamping thing with one foot, with the studs possibly three degrees above horizontal, which collects the sliding Burnley player. So if anything the stamping action may need a card but the two footed slide seems to have gone unnoticed. Its a bad non-decision by the ref more than anything not to give them both yellows and let the game flow on. Personally if the rule for appealing a red card is that it had to be in order to correct an incorrect decision, then thats a shame.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Agreed! Was only a yellow for handball - not red

Also IMO a definite red for the throat grab! But also a definite red for barnes ridiculous over the top tackle/stamp.

From what isaw they both went in 2 footed and both deserved to go

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Replayed it five times. Still cant see your point. barnes never makes a tackle.

How from the TV footage - with a commentary along the lines of 'suprisingly after this challenge it was the brighton player who was sent off' anyone can say Barnes deserved to go is beyond me , he never did make a tackle, never should've been a card of any kind. If Mrs. Badger ever reads this board perhaps a trip to Specsavers before the weekend will provide a gem of a present for her spouse. We have all seen tackles from Brighton players over the years which were indefensible but really this was unbelievable.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just watched it. The Burnley player should have gone for a two footed challenge and additional violent conduct, how anyone can say anything different mystifies me. Barnes should not have been red carded at all, it was an outrageous decision.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
For my money both players should have seen yellow or both red. Sadly though as most people on this board cant agree whether it was a red or not from Barnes the chances of a successful appeal are next to nil id have thought.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It was two red cards all day long and some of the blinkered defence of Barnes beggars belief.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why was Barnes making such a tackle in such an area anyway? There was no danger. It was a pointless, and thoughtless act from Barnes. Hopefully he'll learn.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
For my money both players should have seen yellow or both red. Sadly though as most people on this board cant agree whether it was a red or not from Barnes the chances of a successful appeal are next to nil id have thought.

I'd be very surprised if anyone thought it was worth appealing - what'll be more interesting is if any retrospective action is taken against the Burnley player given the clear case of violent conduct.

* Edit - I'd expect f' all given that we only play in the Championship and are therefore not important.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was two red cards all day long and some of the blinkered defence of Barnes beggars belief.

Agree. Some of it is quite imaginative as well.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Just watched it. The Burnley player should have gone for a two footed challenge and additional violent conduct, how anyone can say anything different mystifies me. Barnes should not have been red carded at all, it was an outrageous decision.
I think most people who are defending Barnes, are saying he was trying to get out of the way. I personally feel why Barnes hasn't a case to answer is if this was the case, and he were trying to get out of the way, he'd have got his feet and legs high up to miss the challenge (which was definately red for the Burnley player). The fact Barnes has come down on top of the player, suggests we wasn't trying to get out of the way, if anything we was putting himself in a far worse position if he timed it wrong. Barnes was definately the lesser of two eveils in this case, but he deserved to get sent off, but te Burnley player should not only have walked, he should be up on a charge as well, but the FA being the FA will deem that the referee saw the indicent and acted on it, so therefore the Burnley player has got away scott free.

And I think this is why Poyet and Tanno have such problems with the match officials. The FA basically says, they do not make mistakes, but refusing to act at times like this, when they are clearly wrong.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'd be very surprised if anyone thought it was worth appealing - what'll be more interesting is if any retrospective action is taken against the Burnley player given the clear case of violent conduct.

* Edit - I'd expect f' all given that we only play in the Championship and are therefore not important.
He can't be done in retrospect as the referee saw the incident and took action over it. And people wonder why Gus and Tanno have such an attitude towards officials!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here