Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes red looks fair

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So a foot out to make contact with an argie by Beckham is a sending off by an international ref but a grab of someones throat is acceptable ......I rest my case

Don't forget this is the ref who sent Sparrow off at Northampton last yr for a push in the chest... makes it all the more annoying.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
So a foot out to make contact with an argie by Beckham is a sending off by an international ref but a grab of someones throat is acceptable ......I rest my case

Just goes to prove that consistency doesnt exist among the referees association! Beckam was an idiot on that occasion and deserved everthing he got. you wont find many that would disagree with that.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The fact none of their players got a red card was what annoyed me more than our reds. You can not deliberately handle the ball into the net and you can not grab someone around the throat..

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The fact none of their players got a red card was what annoyed me more than our reds. You can not deliberately handle the ball into the net and you can not grab someone around the throat..

Agreed! Was only a yellow for handball - not red

Also IMO a definite red for the throat grab! But also a definite red for barnes ridiculous over the top tackle/stamp.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

This is exactly the point. Vincelot - nobody really knows or saw it though a guy on our coach said it wasn't a punch as such but he flung his arm out at the guy after he'd sraped his studs down Vincelot's legs (Burnley really did know what they were doing if that's the case). Barnes - Prob could've jumped higher but would have got no punishment with some refs. The Burnley player did a lot more wrong and raised his hands etc. Then there's the el Abd one where the guy grabbed round the throat. And again i point out this ref sent Sparrow off for pushing someone in the chest...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Barnes decision can be debated long and hard but the fact is that the Burnley player went in with a tackle i've seen many reds for and then grabbed Barnes by the throat which is a red. The point is the burnley bloke should've gone. And i honestly believe 9 vs 10 we'd have won that match the way we played!
Exactly. I've only seen the Barnes tackle twice, I'm not sure if a red was correct, but not the worst decision ever. But the Burnley player could have been sent off twice for that. There really is no argument, Burnley should have been down to 10, and it would have been a different game.

Unfortunately we don't know about Vincelot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have far too much nsc to catch up on, so I will just add the way I saw it for now:

Barnes saw the loose ball and raised one foot as if he was going to step over the ball and get his body between the ball and the burnley player. As he was moving towards it he realised the burnley player was lunging in two footed and hopped as he tried to stop his forward movement and protect himself, and the burnley players momentum carried him into the collision. I would have though a free kick to us would have been the right decision, but a friend I was with though both should have seen red.

For whatever reason the burnley player felt he had a right to react and grabbed Barnes by the throat. Barnes kept his cool and held his arms out showing no reaction.

From my view (west lower north end, but with a clear line of sight), and having seen it a couple of times on TV, the ref absolutely got that one wrong. I'm confident it's not just me as a brighton fan, since the commentator on the championship seemed surprised that it was the brighton player who was shown the red.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just seen it. Red all day long. Did not think it at the time and was surprised when I saw it on tv. With the blinkers off, I thought it was a terrible challenge and totally crazy just a few minutes after going down to ten. Act of a complete twat.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another incident was their centre forward intentionally trying to score with his hand, the ref saw it, gave a free kick, but only gave him a yellow. I thought that was a straight red these days as well.

Nope.

Deliberate handling of the ball is not an automatic yellow, either. (I often hear 'if it's deliberate he's gotta be booked, surely?!" - in truth if it's not deliberate it's not even an infringement).

You get cautioned if you deliberately handle the ball to stop opponents gaining possession, or to score a goal.
You get sent off if you deliberately handle he ball to prevent opponents scoring a goal.
(A goalkeeper can't 'deliberately handle the ball' in his own area, the offence is handling a backpass, which is not a red card offence, which is why craig gordon(?) wasn't sent off a season or two ago when hehandled a backpass for sunderland).

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Seen it on tv. Whatever the decision on Barnes, and I would say yellow at most, their guy must get a red for the tackle and the action afterwards. Ref ruined the game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And again i point out this ref sent Sparrow off for pushing someone in the chest...

So we know the ref is liberal with his red cards. We have got the worst disciplinary record by a county mile and the refs know this. So what do we do? Go around flying into tackles and thumping opponents. f***ing genius.

The sooner Gus acknowledges we have a discipline problem the better.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Still looks to me that the only reason Barnes "stamped" on the **** was because he took Barnes' legs away. AB was holding his leg up in the air at the time.

I completely concur Ev.

The Burnley player should've gone for the 'tackle' alone: but to then grab Barnes round the throat & get away without so much as a booking makes me think that the Ref must've been doin' some in-play betting by proxy. He should NEVER be allowed to set foot on a football pitch again after yesterday's total shambles. My Cat would've done a better job.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For the 2 footed tackle on Barnes, and the subsequent grabbing him forcefully round the throat while Barnes is on the floor, no, the Burnley player didn't even get a booking.

Not only did he not got a booking, the ref didn't even talk to him. Just a straight red for our player. The Vincelot incident sounds like it was six of one half a dozen of the other as well, but again their player didn't get a card or was even spoken to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Vincelot incident sounds like it was six of one half a dozen of the other as well, but again their player didn't get a card or was even spoken to.

Maybe the 4th official only saw Vincelot's strike?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was Arsene Wenger the 4th official?

He will not be the first, or last, official to only see one half of an off-the-ball incident.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just seen it. Red all day long. Did not think it at the time and was surprised when I saw it on tv. With the blinkers off, I thought it was a terrible challenge and totally crazy just a few minutes after going down to ten. Act of a complete twat.

I just saw it for the first time, and then over and over again on rewind, I'm very surprised you and others see it this way, to me looks clearly as if Barnes has raised his foot to trap the ball and spin, and then the Burnley guy flies in out of nowhere and Barnes falls over him. I still cannot see anywhere this 'stamp' that he is supposed to do according to some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here