Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes red looks fair

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Am I right in thinking the Burnley player didn't even get a booking?

No you are wrong, they got two yellows

For the 2 footed tackle on Barnes, and the subsequent grabbing him forcefully round the throat while Barnes is on the floor, no, the Burnley player didn't even get a booking.

Another incident was their centre forward intentionally trying to score with his hand, the ref saw it, gave a free kick, but only gave him a yellow. I thought that was a straight red these days as well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
For the 2 footed tackle on Barnes, and the subsequent grabbing him forcefully round the throat while Barnes is on the floor, no, the Burnley player didn't even get a booking.

Another incident was their centre forward intentionally trying to score with his hand, the ref saw it, gave a free kick, but only gave him a yellow. I thought that was a straight red these days as well.

Oh right I didn't realise it was all to do with that, not sure about the rules on deliberate handball

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Still looks to me that the only reason Barnes "stamped" on the **** was because he took Barnes' legs away. AB was holding his leg up in the air at the time.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Watched the Barnes red this morning. The Burnley player initially went in two footed. Barnes went in with his right leg stretching and then jumped to avoid studs to his left. Barnes lands on him and gets grabbed around the throat. Ref in perfect position to see it all. Perhaps he was influenced by another Burnley player in his face at the time but it could have been a red for Burnley and possibly a yellow for Barnes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As both were straight reds I take it they get automatic 3 match bans ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Presumably, unless we appeal. Don't know about Vincelot, but don't stand a chance appealing Barnes.

Thought you can only appeal in the Premiership ?

Well I've been learning on nsc tonight that apparently if you go in two-footed on an opposition player's shins and get nowhere near the ball it doesn't matter, the other player who gets a little bit angry at being assaulted is actually in the wrong. Or so the people who can't separate a blind faith in Albion players and objectivity will tell you.

Of course, you are well known for your objectivity :yawn:

When you actually say anything good about an Albion player... ah yes, I forgot about all those times :nono:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

The hand ball looked like the henry v ireland incident. A blatant attempt of scoring with his hand as the ball was going kut of play

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting, I've never heard that, but you could be right. Kinda adds to the lie that football is the same from the prem to Hackney marshes.

And complete tosh, of course you can appeal a red card right down to sunday park football. Where some people get these fantasies from is beyond belief.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The ref was an absolute wanker right from the off, I thought at the time there was no way Barnes should have been red carded & am even more convinced now I've seen it on TV. I cant believe the Sunday Mirror rated the twat 8/10 even without the sendings off he made more cock ups & mistakes than acceptable to even the most level headed fan. what about the defender wellying it over his own bar & getting a goal kick? & before anyone says it took a deflection , it was right in front of me, no it didn't. What a CVNT.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Have watched the incidnet over and over and over this morning and was really struggling to come up with the correct decision TBH. Looked at both players individually about 10 times each and i finally think that the decision was about right. I remember thinking at the time barnes came over the top of the ball and it looked a little reckless. The burnely player comes in with his left leg off the ground but his right tucked under him but wins the ball. Barnes effort is over the top and looks 10 x worse than the other guys and i think thats why he gets the red for dangerous play. BUT, having said that you cannot retaliate and the burnley guy quite clearly grabs him round the neck, something I thought was a red card offence. Im not trying to even things up here but raising your hands to someones facial region carries a red card in the FA rules of guidance. Both reds IMHO.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
So a foot out to make contact with an argie by Beckham is a sending off by an international ref but a grab of someones throat is acceptable ......I rest my case

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
In the telegraph sport section Vincelot was sent off for foul and abusive language - if that's the official reason in the referee's match report then I'm stunned.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Of course we have a chance. He did nothing wrong!

I have now seen it many times, and personally still have no problem with it. He jumped in with both feet off the ground, was very late. Always a red in any other game - if that had been say Paul Scholes on someone, I bet almost everyone would say "red".

As I said elsewehere, the fact that it is being debated, indicates it was not clear-cut and therefore no an obvious mistake by the ref, therefore no chance of rescinding the card.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
V difficult to tell re Barnes but he wasn't the one tackling as others semmed to think straight after the game. I think he jumped out of the challenge but deliberately left his leg in - it can be a red sometimes but on other occasions can be nothnig atall as he's avoiding a tackle. The Barnes decision can be debated long and hard but the fact is that the Burnley player went in with a tackle i've seen many reds for and then grabbed Barnes by the throat which is a red. The point is the burnley bloke should've gone. And i honestly believe 9 vs 10 we'd have won that match the way we played!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here