Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes or Sandaza

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barnes for 80 minutes and Sandaza as a supersub for the last 10 minutes. Holroyd shouldn't get a look in as Hart would be above him in the pecking order.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Mr Burns in Barnes slating shock!

*Yawn* If anyone should come in for Barnes its Noone and thats if Noone has adapted to our system now. Barnes adds more than just being a scorer and to be honest, its difficult to score when playing on the wing for most of the away games...

Mind you Murray has scored 0 in 2 now... Time for Sandaza surely?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I disagree entirely.

Now is precisely the time that we shouldn't be gambling. If we have one hand on the League One trophy we shouldn't be loosening our grip. Your comment is a very complacent one and I'm sure not one shared by the manager.

I agree that Barnes hassn't looked great in recent games but Holroyd has never impressed and to give him a chance in these all-important games coming up is just too much of a risk.

Looking at the broader picture my personal view is that, should we get promoted, the only striker I would be reasonably confident of being good enough for the next level is Murray. I'd love to see Barnes and Sandaza prove themselves good enough but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd agree with this. Painter, Calderon, Dicker, Bennett, Murray, Wood and Barnes have all looked a bit poor in the last two games. Doesn't mean we should be dropping them all. We could so easily chop and change things, hit a dip in form and results and struggle to get back on track. We are winning games regularly at the moment. The system is working and our players are all fit enough to cope with the schedule.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Mr Burns in Barnes slating shock!

*Yawn* If anyone should come in for Barnes its Noone and thats if Noone has adapted to our system now. Barnes adds more than just being a scorer and to be honest, its difficult to score when playing on the wing for most of the away games...

Mind you Murray has scored 0 in 2 now... Time for Sandaza surely?
Not slating, just commenting. Too be fair though, nearly everyone on this thread thinks its time for Barnes to be "rested".... although dropped is the word I would use. For what its worth, I reackon Barnes will be dropped saturday, for as most on here think a midfielder.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hate to point out the bleeding obvious but we play a 451/433 formation at the moment with murray at the spearhead. Barnes n wood play their parts all over the pitch whereas sandaza is their to act as a poacher when a change of tack/formation is needed.
Precisely. If we changed to a 4-4-2 you could make more of a case for the Sandman to start, although I'm still not sure why he'd be in ahead of Wood or Barnes.

Regarding his supposed dip in form, I haven't seen the last two games but they don't sound like great performances from anyone really, before that Barnes has been playing well other than the fact that he should have scored a couple against Plymouth.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gus does mix it up a bit because of the amount of games we have coming up but a straight swap Sandaza for Barnes wouldn't really do much for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes did NOT actually play badly at Yevil, anyway - he just didn't produce much of an attacking threat. He clearly was working hard out there though, as we went to RATSHIT down that side, the moment Noone replaced him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Barnes is not playing poorly at the moment and he really shouldn't be judged purely on his goal return. He's playing an important role linking the midfield and attack.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes is not playing poorly at the moment and he really shouldn't be judged purely on his goal return. He's playing an important role linking the midfield and attack.
Oh theres many on here would would judge him purely on his goal return.

"12 goals by Christmas what more do you want" blah blah blah
"2nd top scorer" blah blah blah

Last game I saw him play was against Plymouth, and i thought he was the weak link. Sure he done some good things, but for every good thing he does he'll mess up 2 or 3. Arsehole went in front of goal again, with the keeper charging him down. That's his big failing for me, no bottle, amongst other things, and as a striker you've got to be something special too get along without it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Barnes was the weak link against Plymouth? I wasn't aware we had a weak link. It was clear he was really keen to score and tried too hard. I seem to remember him being involved in at least one of our goals.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
The only way i would have Sandaza starting is if both Wood and Barnes were dropped for Noone to also come in giving us a natural 4-4-2. But to be honest im perfectly happy to let Gus decide what best!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You can be overzealous and make things more difficult for yourself.
Exactly, this was the impression I got with his chances against Plymouth, and a few touches etc that he got wrong. He was clearly wound up when we played them at theirs, and at Bristol Rovers (for some reason). Anyone who has seen him will know he can get a bit too wound up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly, this was the impression I got with his chances against Plymouth, and a few touches etc that he got wrong. He was clearly wound up when we played them at theirs, and at Bristol Rovers (for some reason). Anyone who has seen him will know he can get a bit too wound up.

He started his career at Bristol Rovers, and was released as a kid.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oh please dont make me laugh! ... Fran Sandaza, yes ok a useful player to have on the bench, good for coming on and scoring the odd late goal, but thats about it, big and strong he might well be, but with the maneuvrability and turning circle of the titanic, no way would l extend his contract beyond the end of the season, thats whether we get promoted or not ... Ash Barnes on the other hand, what a prospect, still only 21, loves the club, eager to learn, and already banging in the goals AND making chances.

So, Fran 'Titaniic' Sandaza, the finished article, versus Ashley Barnes, still learning his trade ... still dont know who u would prefer? lol

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Oh theres many on here would would judge him purely on his goal return.

"12 goals by Christmas what more do you want" blah blah blah
"2nd top scorer" blah blah blah

Last game I saw him play was against Plymouth, and i thought he was the weak link. Sure he done some good things, but for every good thing he does he'll mess up 2 or 3. Arsehole went in front of goal again, with the keeper charging him down. That's his big failing for me, no bottle, amongst other things, and as a striker you've got to be something special too get along without it.

He's not perfect, he's young, he makes mistakes. If he didn't, he wouldn't be playing League One football. He's not a stand out big name star player like teams like Southampton and Huddersfield have but there's a reason we're top, we're a fantastic team, and he's fantastic team player. One of my favourite Barnes moments this season was this - http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/javaImages/ad/c7/0,,10280~9226157,00.jpg - block at Southampton when he threw himself in front of Lallana's shot and blocked a goal bound effort.

He lacks composure in front of goal, there's no doubt about it. When he doesn't have time to think about it, he's much better. That's not the critical aspect of his game though. If we were relying on him to score the goals for us, then yes, but we have a lot of players chipping in with goals.

Sandaza may be more potent in front of goal, he may have a foreign name that sounds flair (always a good reason to start) and he might, in a certain system, be an excellent starter for us at some point. However, he doesn't suit the way we play at the moment. He might take some of the chances Barnes takes, I wont disagree with that. However starting Sandaza ahead of Barnes would weaken us as a team. He would offer less defensivly, he would offer less in the transition between midfield and attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here