Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes or Sandaza

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sandaza has been coming off the bench, and scoring.
Holrody comes of the bench, and has yet to score in more games.

In my opinion like, Sandaza looked lively when he came on at MK compared to the other three strikers on the day, and nobody can argue with the quality of his goal against Plymouth.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I would go with Sandaza over Barnes. Some see Barnes as having a dip of form. I see him playing normal, just without the rub of the green. Imagine how many Sandaza would have got if he had the same game time as Barnes. Even Holroyd for that matter!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Barnes is off form at the moment, I'd give CH or FS a chance personally.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I would say we can. Six points clear of 3rd spot with games in hand!? Give him a couple of games. It aint happening for Barnes, it may as well not happen for someone else!

I disagree entirely.

Now is precisely the time that we shouldn't be gambling. If we have one hand on the League One trophy we shouldn't be loosening our grip. Your comment is a very complacent one and I'm sure not one shared by the manager.

I agree that Barnes hassn't looked great in recent games but Holroyd has never impressed and to give him a chance in these all-important games coming up is just too much of a risk.

Looking at the broader picture my personal view is that, should we get promoted, the only striker I would be reasonably confident of being good enough for the next level is Murray. I'd love to see Barnes and Sandaza prove themselves good enough but I wouldn't bet on it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`ve a feeling Gus might want to bring Sparrow in some time soon and that may mean a rest for someone. Barnes maybe ? It changes the shape somewhat but that doesn`t bother Gus. I personally would play Noone from the start saturday and put Barnes on the bench till late on. Sandaza coming on is ok but not in place of Wood or Murray from the start.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Holroyd needs to knuckle down ready for next season. He's shown he knows where the goal is by scoring a hatful on loan in league 2. I don't think he's a headless chicken at all, I think he makes intelligent runs in the channels in the box, but he's simply too lightweight at this level right now. If he bulks up, I still think he may offer something as a squad player next season. If not, Gus will ship him out.

Sandaza is fast turning into a cult hero and you do know what you're going to get from him. The fact that he wasn't match fit early this season didn't stop various NSC goons writing him off there and then of course.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't want to bring CH on if we were looking for a winner or needed an equaliser, but I'm happy for him to have a run out if we are 3-0 up. Speaking to some Stevanage fans when we were up at Stoke they weren't that enthusiastic about him, said he played well (scored a few goals but didn't do much else) the first month but did nothing the second month. However they'd bite our hands off to sign him on free from us so make of that what you will :shrug::smokin:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Am I wrong thinking that Toby has been smacking them in regularly in the ressies? Is he not worth being on the bench?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's right. In the relegation dog fight where we find ourselves, we just can't afford to rotate our strikers. Maybe wait until we are in a better position in the League.

As has been said we have 1 hand on the title and that is there for us to lose dont lets lose it by experimenting. Stick to the tried and tested that has put us in this position and if a change is needed bring in Sparrow or Noone and put Barnes on the bench.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Holroyd needs to knuckle down ready for next season. He's shown he knows where the goal is by scoring a hatful on loan in league 2. I don't think he's a headless chicken at all, I think he makes intelligent runs in the channels in the box, but he's simply too lightweight at this level right now. If he bulks up, I still think he may offer something as a squad player next season. If not, Gus will ship him out.

Sandaza is fast turning into a cult hero and you do know what you're going to get from him. The fact that he wasn't match fit early this season didn't stop various NSC goons writing him off there and then of course.

Correct. Not a "headless chicken" at all, quite the opposite, doesn't impose himself on a game enough, shame because he is clearly very naturally talented, but very weak on the ball and clearly low in confidence when it comes to shooting.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Sandaza's value is as an impact striker at the end of games. I think he would be far less effective from the start. If any of the three front men were to be 'rested', i'd put another midfielder on.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Hate to point out the bleeding obvious but we play a 451/433 formation at the moment with murray at the spearhead. Barnes n wood play their parts all over the pitch whereas sandaza is their to act as a poacher when a change of tack/formation is needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here