Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes charged (updated: misses 7 matches!)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
a) he is a bloody idiot, anyone that disagree's with this is also an idiot.
b) anyone that thinks the fan's video is not conclusive is an idiot.
c) anyone that thinks Barnes brings nothing to the team is an idiot.
d) anyone that thinks we won't miss him is an idiot.
e) anyone that thinks that he hasn't let down himself, the club and thousands of supporters is an idiot
f) anyone that thinks he won't learn from this is NOT an idiot.

So, how idiotic are you?

Wow! I am not an idiot at all! Thanks - have a great weekend!

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
might have missed this earlier in the thread but my understanding is that barnes and or the club were not allowed to attend the hearing and see first hand the evidence which warranted the extra 3 games. Barnes may have been rightly convicted but that does not seem right to me, not being able to defend yourself in person.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
might have missed this earlier in the thread but my understanding is that barnes and or the club were not allowed to attend the hearing and see first hand the evidence which warranted the extra 3 games. Barnes may have been rightly convicted but that does not seem right to me, not being able to defend yourself in person.

There is FA "justice" for you. The same type that found John Terry guilty, when a court of law and lonf trial did not!

Having said that, as I understand it, he had the chance to challenge the validity of the Red Card and failed to do so. So this was only about the length of the ban, and given he had accepted he was guilty by not challenging the Red Card, there was little a personal hearing could add that his written reply could not.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

This - this is incredibly pathetic if he wasnt allowed to defend himself. Yes what he did was wrong but how is it fair that you arent able to defend yourself ?

No wonder Gus moans about the FA and the Football League with stuff like this.

The FA are a joke with how they go about their "trials".

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's absolutely splitting hairs, (which is what prompted my reply - you suggesting it was a 3 game ban for the offence added on to his 4 game ban) ultimately, whether it's 3+1+3 or 3+1-4+7, the answer is the same. But, officially, according to the FA handbook, the equation is the latter, and I was simply clarifying it.

Who said anything about the red card being rescinded? If you haven't read the whole thing, that bit about the statutory punishment being withdrawn only happens if the commission finds that the FA have proven their case that the original punishment is inadequate. It was never a question of the punishment being reduced, or the offence wiped from the books. That only happens if the player appeals. This was a commission deciding on a Rule E3 case - that punishment needs to be more severe.

As for the BBC report, maybe they are unaware of this technicality (it might be new, or simply not important enough to make the distinction - as you say, it's splitting hairs), or simply not care about the distinction. Whether it's an addition 3 games, or a 7 game ban replacing the the original 4, it's all comes out the same.

Quoting from the report on the FA website:

"Barnes is currently serving a four-match suspension following the red card, which includes an additional match for this being his second dismissal of the season.

With the three additional games, he will now miss a total of seven matches."

So, in the eyes of the FA, clearly the original sanction stands, and the 3 additional games are exactly that, ie additional.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
There is FA "justice" for you. The same type that found John Terry guilty, when a court of law and lonf trial did not!Having said that, as I understand it, he had the chance to challenge the validity of the Red Card and failed to do so. So this was only about the length of the ban, and given he had accepted he was guilty by not challenging the Red Card, there was little a personal hearing could add that his written reply could not.

says more about the criminal justice system in the UK than the FA. THe FA dont get much right but they were spot on with Terry and spot on with Barnes - both morons.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
says more about the criminal justice system in the UK than the FA. THe FA dont get much right but they were spot on with Terry and spot on with Barnes - both morons.

Really? The whole trumped-up charge against JT was a waste of public money. Why didn't they charge cousin Rio over his racist "chocice" pop at Ashley Cole? His inclusion in an England squad again is outrageous.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Really? The whole trumped-up charge against JT was a waste of public money. Why didn't they charge cousin Rio over his racist "chocice" pop at Ashley Cole? His inclusion in an England squad again is outrageous.

this
my new name for him is Mr chippy..............one on each shoulder
Oh and he is a useless footballer as well

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Quoting from the report on the FA website:

"Barnes is currently serving a four-match suspension following the red card, which includes an additional match for this being his second dismissal of the season.

With the three additional games, he will now miss a total of seven matches."

So, in the eyes of the FA, clearly the original sanction stands, and the 3 additional games are exactly that, ie additional.

The handbook I've quoted is from the FA website, too.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Dont really care about the England squad and who is or isnt in it and i agree with you about the choc ice comment. Terry is an odious individual. Barnes is just plain stupid. He did the same thing against sheff wed in terms of losing the plot and getting sent off when the ref didnt give him a foul. I dont think barnes is a particularly good footballer and what he lacks in techincal ability he needs to make up for in attitude and hard work. His attitude needs to be spot on and it isnt. I dont necessarliy blame barnes as i think the management should have been on this when he got sent off at sheff wed. Not sure what will happen to barnes but vincelot and sparrow soon dissapeared after red cards. I think barnes's days at the albion could be numbered. Right or wrong once the ref confirmed he thought barnes tried to trip him ( and i think he did - i was there and it started from barnes thinking he should have a pen when he received a blow to the head) he was always going to get a longer ban.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
" As a player for us, in our current team, he is great ".......I'm just going off to lie down in a dark room and analyse that statement and try and realise the error of my ways.

That's what the original poster you replied to said, I didn't say I agreed with him.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Personally as the obvious precedent is the Di Canio example, I think Barnes has got off lightly.

but surely that was in the glare of all the TV camera's and was a double handed push on both shoulders, Barnes appeared to apparently allegedly tried too or maybe tripped the ref with the flimsiest bit of evidence and no right to defend himself.

I have fallen asleep and woken in North Korea

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Absolute f*cking idiot.

Shame as others say we can only fine him two weeks wages. He's probably picking up close to 50k whilst not playing due to his own petulance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here