Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands who had loads of success but were in actual fact shit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lighthouse Family

Girls Aloud

The Dave Clark 5 (obviously :lol:)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Oasis, trying to be like the greatest band of all time but failing. Basically, anyone who tries to be like the Beatles are just outrageous in my opinion.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Enlighten me then Papa!

I'm not sure if I really can - people's taste in music is a personal thing, but it's clear from this thread that Muse are one of those bands that it's easy to dismiss, as they are hard to classify (are they rock, are they glam rock, a parody perhaps?), and also seem to be in that class of bands that the 'true thinkers' in the music world seem to instantly dislike.

At least you've seen them live, and they aren't to your taste; fair enough.

I'm willing to admit I have not (yet) seen them live, but as soon as they tour this year I will be in the (virtual) queue for tickets, as from what Ive seen and heard of them (albums and live performances) they have a varied and exciting repetoir, plus they really do have an amazing on stage presence.

People easily dismiss the numerous 'Best Live Act' awards they've won (Q, NME etc), but they win them for a reason, and I'm sure it's not just to annoy those who don't like them. :cry:

Papa

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Oasis, trying to be like the greatest band of all time but failing. Basically, anyone who tries to be like the Beatles are just outrageous in my opinion.

the messsiah!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

The Ethos of the 60's was a generation that wanted change and was rebelling against its Parents veiws and values.

The 90's was the opposite with just fawning over 60's imagrey and sound with no ethos other than sharing those veiws as if the world had not moved on in 30 years, how EMBARRASSING!

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions........

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm not sure if I really can - people's taste in music is a personal thing, but it's clear from this thread that Muse are one of those bands that it's easy to dismiss, as they are hard to classify (are they rock, are they glam rock, a parody perhaps?), and also seem to be in that class of bands that the 'true thinkers' in the music world seem to instantly dislike.

At least you've seen them live, and they aren't to your taste; fair enough.

I'm willing to admit I have not (yet) seen them live, but as soon as they tour this year I will be in the (virtual) queue for tickets, as from what Ive seen and heard of them (albums and live performances) they have a varied and exciting repetoir, plus they really do have an amazing on stage presence.

People easily dismiss the numerous 'Best Live Act' awards they've won (Q, NME etc), but they win them for a reason, and I'm sure it's not just to annoy those who don't like them. :cry:

Papa

Fair do's and as I pointed out in my original post I thought it might be a little bit more controversial than it has proved to be. Just think what I've heard of them (which admittedly isn't their complete discography) is wishy washy whiney pop rock.

Any award given by the readers of NME isn't worth the cheap plastic it's printed on. I've a little more respect for Q but not a great deal. It's easy to predict these things, I'm sure Foo Fighters won it last year because they did Wembley, I'm sure Oasis will win it this year for the same reason.

Anyway I'll let you off with Muse, start listening to that Coldplay bollocks and that's you and me over!! ;-)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The Beatles. I know everyone in the entire world likes them except me but I just don't understand why. A few of the early bouncy tunes are OK I suppose but I'd say 70 per cent of their output ranges from the mawkish, sentimental rubbish of Hey Jude to the pretentious drivelling of Sgt Pepper.

Not trying to be controversial for the sake of it here, I just really don't get the Beatles myth that's grown up around them. Loads of better bands in the 60s IMHO.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fair do's and as I pointed out in my original post I thought it might be a little bit more controversial than it has proved to be. Just think what I've heard of them (which admittedly isn't their complete discography) is wishy washy whiney pop rock.

Any award given by the readers of NME isn't worth the cheap plastic it's printed on. I've a little more respect for Q but not a great deal. It's easy to predict these things, I'm sure Foo Fighters won it last year because they did Wembley, I'm sure Oasis will win it this year for the same reason.

Anyway I'll let you off with Muse, start listening to that Coldplay bollocks and that's you and me over!! ;-)

Ahem... cough... :blush:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
McFly

oh dear god what an awful out-of-tune load of drivel

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
muse seem to be the band that if someone isn't really into music they'll have them as one of their favourite bands

QUOTE]

The classic music snob putdown. I don't like that so you aren't a real music fan. Enlighten us on what's acceptable for those who are "really" into music.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Westlife.

Only Elvis and The Beatles have had more UK number ones.

Jesus.

Thread closed.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
INXS win it for me on a shitness to success ratio. I have always been baffled by their popularity, and depressed.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here