Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baghdad Bounedjah

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting.

Among previous top scorers in Qatar, there's Youssef Al-Arabi who got 42 league goals in 64 appearances for Olympiakos since leaving Qatar, as well as 11 goals in CL/EL, so its obviously possible (though for sure not guaranteed) to go from top scorer in Qatar to quite decent in Europe.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“By the end of 2018, Bounedjah managed to beat several stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as the world's top scorer after reaching goal 58, including 29 in Qatar Stars League this season, 10 last season in the same competition, 13 in the Champions League and 7 with the Algerian team.”

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure what the level of the Qatari league is like but 117 goals from 99 appearances is pretty impressive. He has almost 1-in-2 at international level for Algeria so not quite as good as club level.

He scored 7 in one league game, so maybe the league is not that competitive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scored 7 himself in one league game this season, suggesting the league may not be that competitive

If they lost 4-3 he needs to have an Albion scarf above his head by lunchtime.

I didn't beat you to the edit, I just re-edited back in your comment so I didn't miss out on the joke!

Needy, moi?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Where does the Qatar stars league rank in the divisions of the world?

Be surprised to sign this lad when we have Gyokeres coming back who tore up the Championship this year :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He needs a song.

I don't have time to do the lyrics but something based on this has potential:

They told me you missed school today
So what I suggest you just throw them all away
The handbags and the gladrags
That your poor old granddad
Had to sweat to buy, oh-woah

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Like the idea of getting a 29 year old who already knows their game rather than another 18 year old who won't be scoring for years.

180cm so not massive

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Surprised we’re in for him to be honest. Questionable experience at elite level, 29, which whilst not old does mean he’s already peaked, and from a league probably on par with league one at best.

I will of course 100% support the lad and would be delighted for him to be a huge success… but I’d be lying if I said I was impressed with this signing.

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
I have seen him play against Iranian teams in the Asian Champions League. Would be very surprised if this is true.

He's definitely one of the best if not the best Striker currently playing for an Asian team, but certainly not EPL level. Doesn't have the pace or the intelligence required. Also got to keep in mind his numbers in the Qatar league are more of a reflection of the terrible defending and commonality of lob-sided scoreline in that league.

Wouldn't spend more than 6 Mil on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here