Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bad News About Falmer Catering

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I thought you said you were in catering.

also you only have a 2 hour or so window it needs to be tapped day before cant see how falmer can sell reat ale without loosing loads of money

You're making out that real ale has never been sold at a sports event before.

The beer operators might lose beer on the first couple of events, trying to ascertain just how much beer will be drunk. After that, they'll have their quantities sorted.

Besides, you might only want to sell beer for two hours, the caterers will possibly see a 6 or 7-hour window, with two 45-minute breaks.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You are still missing the point, i understand entirely the difference between "Bright" and Harveys real Ale.
My point is that once tapped both Bright and Real ale only has a couple of days before its is past its best. So if either is not used with in the time period then it would be waste!
Put it this way, if Falmer has 12 kiosks all selling Harveys then you will have 12 part full barrels at the end of each match unless there is a home game within a couple of days.
After 3/4 days the ale will become unusable and classed as waste.
Yes you can tap bright as when needed unlike sedimented Harveys.

And if at a given time, they see that they're not going to sell any more than, say, two-thirds of a barrel (depending on the size they use), they probably won't bang a new one.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
You are still missing the point, i understand entirely the difference between "Bright" and Harveys real Ale.
My point is that once tapped both Bright and Real ale only has a couple of days before its is past its best. So if either is not used with in the time period then it would be waste!
Put it this way, if Falmer has 12 kiosks all selling Harveys then you will have 12 part full barrels at the end of each match unless there is a home game within a couple of days.
After 3/4 days the ale will become unusable and classed as waste.
Yes you can tap bright as when needed unlike sedimented Harveys.

well surely then it will be a case of not getting it in the 22's that Harvey's usually come in.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
gates dont open until 1pm so how can people drink for 6-7 hours .yes I know real ale is served at cricket but the matche can last for 4 days with a one day match tagged on much more time to use up beer

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
gates dont open until 1pm so how can people drink for 6-7 hours .yes I know real ale is served at cricket but the matche can last for 4 days with a one day match tagged on much more time to use up beer

I'm led to believe gates will open at 12, and they are encouraging people to stay behind after the game to ease congestion.

Even if they opened at one, that's still 5-6 hours - and lot more than your paltry two.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
I thought you said you were in catering.

You're making out that real ale has never been sold at a sports event before.

The beer operators might lose beer on the first couple of events, trying to ascertain just how much beer will be drunk. After that, they'll have their quantities sorted.

Besides, you might only want to sell beer for two hours, the caterers will possibly see a 6 or 7-hour window, with two 45-minute breaks.

Thats right. A few more people will have a pint or two as well if the beer is good. Carlsberg , Tetleys or Fosters and I`m off back to a proper pub and I suspect i wont be the only one.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Are there any grounds in the country that sell real ale? I'm not talking about in a supporters club or hospitality suite I mean from the grub outlets under the stands?

The only way I could see it being viable if they sold it bottled.

That said I can't see it being any different to any other football ground in the country and nor should it be. They will punt out a cooking lager (Carling/Carlsberg), a "bitter" (John Smiths/Tetleys) and maybe a cider if you're lucky. It needs to be about quick turn-a-round not quality of the product.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
you miss my point if you have half a barrel of bright left then it will go bad if you have half a barrel of tetleys left then it will save until next match .sccc only use bright now and again ive ask the celler man their

Who the f**k wants Tetley's, there will not be half left at the end of the game there be a full one. The way to do it is for the operation to be run by professionals and knowledgeable people like myself who's owned and run real ale businesses.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
well surely then it will be a case of not getting it in the 22's that Harvey's usually come in.

Harvey's is sold in 18's known as a Kilderkin and is half a Barrel as opposed to 9 which is Firkin which Harvey's also sell and is more popular.

Added to which bright beer has a 14 day shelf life and this can be extended by using new dispense technology.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
This is the Red and Blue bar in the upper tier of the Holmesdale at Selhurst. If they can do a similar job at Falmer, it will be fine.

0,,10323~3204242,00.jpg

101198650_46b114e309.jpg

Sorry but has the look of a gay bar to me, or at least as I'd imagine one to look:lolol:

:thumbsup:

Let's hope it'll be Hophead...

or Hepworth:cheers::drink::bowdown:
http://www.hepworthbrewery.co.uk/

Iron Horse @ 4.8% is a premium bitter handcrafted from a complex grist of roasted malts and English hops. Densely flavoured and very satisfying. The crystal malt gives a caramel sweetness.

Prospect, our organic pale ale is 4.5% abv, flavoured with Sussex grown barley and Golding and Admiral hops.

Blonde, our organic lager is made with English barley, Admiral hops and German yeast. The hops deliver a floral note to the brew and the purity of flavour is protected by meticulous cold filtration. A long powerful brew with a firm body and luxuriant head. Available in 50 litre and 23 litre kegs @ 5% abv.

Using barley and hops grown in our home county, Hepworth’s Sussex is a traditional pale ale at 3.6% abv with a full flavour and hoppy character. True Sussex Ale

Pullman @ 4.2% abv is a First Class bitter with a crisp bite balanced with a silky finish. Brewed with Admiral & Golding hops, Pullman is a luxurious ale to be enjoyed on its own or with fine food.

All cask beers can be bought in 20 litre polypins.

Attention Horsham Football followers.
We are the proud match day sponsors of Horsham YMCA Football Club for this season

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good call on Hepworths, get Natural Blonde in as the 'lager' then I would be more than happy. Prospect or Sussex served in a bottle would also go down a treat.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are there any grounds in the country that sell real ale? I'm not talking about in a supporters club or hospitality suite I mean from the grub outlets under the stands?

The only way I could see it being viable if they sold it bottled.

That said I can't see it being any different to any other football ground in the country and nor should it be. They will punt out a cooking lager (Carling/Carlsberg), a "bitter" (John Smiths/Tetleys) and maybe a cider if you're lucky. It needs to be about quick turn-a-round not quality of the product.

That's where Brighton are hoping to break the mould I suspect. And if caterers really feel that it wouldn't work, I'm sure (at least I'd hope) we'd have been told by now.

If you're talking about events that serve real ales from places that don't have cellars, there's obviously the cricket, I'm led to believe it's available at rugby matches, and if you're going to take the consideration that far, one-day real ale festivals are 'off-site' functions without cellars.

I don't suppose for a second that real ale drinkers are in the majority - far from it, but there's a sizeable enough minority for the option to be a desirable one, and for caterers (if they want to make a few quid) to make it work.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's where Brighton are hoping to break the mould I suspect. And if caterers really feel that it wouldn't work, I'm sure (at least I'd hope) we'd have been told by now.

I really hope they don't and I say that as a real ale drinker. There is no way you could keep a decent beer on the pump at a football ground. You might be able to do it with bottled beer, but then that would have to be poured into a plastic cup all adding time to the process of serving someone.

If you're talking about events that serve real ales from places that don't have cellars, there's obviously the cricket, I'm led to believe it's available at rugby matches, and if you're going to take the consideration that far, one-day real ale festivals are 'off-site' functions without cellars.

Yeah thanks for that! You missed village fates, bar mitzvah, weddings and funerals. :rolleyes:

Cricket is an all day event, people will be going to the bar throughout the day and whilst the game is on.

Rugby you can drink throughout the game and half time is only 10 mins so people will steadily visit the bar throughout the game.

I'm not even going to warrant the beer festival option with a response.

People want to drink at half time at football, so it's about getting served quickly so you've got enough time to neck your beer before the second half. Having people dick about with real ales isn't practical for the fan as well as it's not practical for the club to sell.

I don't suppose for a second that real ale drinkers are in the majority - far from it, but there's a sizeable enough minority for the option to be a desirable one, and for caterers (if they want to make a few quid) to make it work.

I'd rather have an average pint of pissy lager or a cider than a shit pint of real ale which lets face it they would be if they were being sold by the spotty 16 year olds who is also dishing up burger and chips to little Johnny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here