Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Days... Waste of Time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
0-5

Awful afternoon and evening from start to finish. I lived about 3 miles away and yet didn't get home until 8.30pm. f***ing joke.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
with hindsight the 5-1 at Plymouth and 7-1 at Huddersfield were bad but the 5-1 at Reading was REALLY awful.

the Norwich Valentines day massacre a few years back was shite due to their proper full on Nazi stewards.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
When I was only a youngster I went to my second ever away game at Bristol Rovers in about 1994. I went on the Junior Seagulls coach but it got stuck in about 20 traffic jams on the way and we got there at half-time. We were already 2-0 by this point and went on the concede another in a 3-0 defeat.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I should say Grimsby away, 2003. All that way to get relegated. But I won't, because it was a ruddy brilliant weekend, aside from the football match at the end of it...

This is probably my crappest away day, I was at uni in York at the time so just went there for the match. What made it worse was the fact it took me FIVE hours to get back to York.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
I recall travelling up to Wigan circa 2001-2002 and being 3-0 down after about 60 minutes and enduring a hellish journey back to Sussex on the west coast mainline........norwich in the cup a few years ago was equally as bad (apart from a snowball fight in the town centre on the way back to the station lightened the mood!)..........the two (or three) 4-0 loses at Griffin Park were also difficult to stomach, especially after making a day of the last one and taking the entire day off work to go up there.....

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
with hindsight the 5-1 at Plymouth [\QUOTE]
Game was dreadful (heard the fifth goal on the radio in the taxi back to the pub) but had an excellent day out.
I travelled to Walsall a couple of seasons back but we went to Wolves v Preston so day was not wasted.

Worst waste of time is a long tedious drive on a Saturday to Exeter when we arrived at half-time, then drove home to Kent afterwards. Or any trip to Yeovil.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
When I was only a youngster I went to my second ever away game at Bristol Rovers in about 1994. I went on the Junior Seagulls coach but it got stuck in about 20 traffic jams on the way and we got there at half-time. We were already 2-0 by this point and went on the concede another in a 3-0 defeat.

I was on the same coach and it might well have been my 2nd ever away game (chances). Remember Marcus Stewart and Worrell Sterling giving our back four the run around.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
I'd agree with Hartlepool away, year we won the league,

Had to get to Ford station for something like 05:30am, trek all the way up there, with a bus replacement service for the final leg. Coming home, had so many cancellations and hold ups, got to Brighton and had to get a bus replacement to Worthing and a taxi from Worthing home. Around 22 hour long trip, to see us lose 3-1 and when lualua broke his leg, not the best of days!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was at a few of those mentioned - the 6-1 defeat at Oldham stands out as a real shocker. The called off one at Bristol Rovers was annoying (although it probably helped keep us up - we were shocking at the time, but were resurgent when it was rearranged). Saints last season was pretty deressing - just a real non event on our part.

Another two that stand out as pretty shit days, were the Kelvin Morton Selhurst one, and the 5-1 defeat at Fratton Park, when we got thrashed on the pitch, soaking wet, and were pelted with bricks and stones after the game, while the police kept us penned in as static targets.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
0-5

Awful afternoon and evening from start to finish. I lived about 3 miles away and yet didn't get home until 8.30pm. f***ing joke.

I was there, but didn't mention it.

I prefer to think it never actually happened.

And I got a lift there/back with a palace fan. At least he had to wait too. Complete shambles of a day.

I got a lift to, with the same guy for the McShane in the 79th game. A somewhat more enjoyable journey home.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Mine's a bit of distant memory but it was away to Oldham back in 89. As usual in that godforsaken place it was a bitterly cold february day and lashing down with rain. We were all getting a good soaking and I remember our fans started a conga on the terrace to try and keep spirits up. Anyway we lost 2-1 and were thoroughly miserable by the end of the match. To complete the day, as we were leaving the ground my wife (girlfriend at the time) started getting really bad chest pains. We took her to north Manchester hospital and it turned out she'd had a collapsed lung. Cue 4 days stay in hospital followed by a long journey back down to Sussex. Never been back to Oldham and have no intention of going there again!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Newcastle away snowed off. Only found out when we got off train at Newcastle. Early 90's sometime.

so you didn't bother with the overnight coach which left london around 8 and staggered into a snow bound Newcastle around 8 the following morning. Game called off around 9.30 ish.

We went to watch Berwick Rangers instead

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Mine's a bit of distant memory but it was away to Oldham back in 89. As usual in that godforsaken place it was a bitterly cold february day and lashing down with rain. We were all getting a good soaking and I remember our fans started a conga on the terrace to try and keep spirits up. Anyway we lost 2-1 and were thoroughly miserable by the end of the match. To complete the day, as we were leaving the ground my wife (girlfriend at the time) started getting really bad chest pains. We took her to north Manchester hospital and it turned out she'd had a collapsed lung. Cue 4 days stay in hospital followed by a long journey back down to Sussex. Never been back to Oldham and have no intention of going there again!

I had a photographers pass that season whcih allowed me to go pitchside. Oldham had their blasted plastic pitch which I had to go and sit on and as the game went on, the colder and wetter it got, to the point that I almost froze to the pitch

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
my 2nd away game was around 2000 away at Macclesfield. freezing cold november, no more than 2000 there and finished 0-0...some birthday that was - can't believe i've been to 100+ since

I went to that game with an ex girlfriend and her family, as they lived in Cheshire. We were so Crap that night, very embarrassing but by no means the worse display I've seen. Scunthorpe away on a midweek 12 years ago took some beating, as did Wigan away a similar time ago. Both 2-0 defeats and a complete waste of time and money.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I'd forgotten about the plastic pitch - things were really stacked against us that day!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Can't remember the season but going up the M40 to Macclesfield we saw the team bus heading South when we where going North, match called off. Went to Pride Park to watch Derby v Saints, theremust have been about 50 Albion fans there.

Spent a weekend on the Wirrall with a Tranmere mate, got drunk on the Friday night, walked to the ground Saturday lunch time where we were greeted by Sunderland fans in The Clipper pub, the game had been called off. After much piss taking we went to watch Everton v Norwich at Goodison Park with a few hundred Sunderland fans.

In the dark days went to three successive away games and we didn't even have a shot, happy days.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Remember Leeds away late 80's maybe early 90's some cold Saturday in December. Went clubbing in Brighton the Friday night speeding my tits off made the decision to go to Leeds. Got train out of Brighton around 4am and somehow arrived in Leeds around 10am feeling as rough as anything, met up with some mates who were staying up there had a few pints and then developed the worst headache ever, left the ground at half time shivering and feeling like I was going to die. Can't even remember the score or how I got home, wasn't nice though. Definately my worst ever away trip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here