Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Days... Waste of Time

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Norwich away (FA Cup I think) around 2003? - one of those horrible fixtures between Xmas & New Year. I hired a minibus for a load of us, it snowed all the way, stood in a frozen stand until 15:45 - still no game to watch, they finally called it off due to floodlight failure! Couldn't even drown sorrows as I was DES!! I remember Norwich offering all Albion fans a "free hot drink" if you came back to the rearranged midweek fixture - no thanks!!

That's my favourite called off game. On the way up with some friends and the wheel fell off the car! Sitting in a garage thinking we were missing the game my friend gets a text saying "you must be gutted". We couldn't work out how this guy knew the wheel had fallen back so asked him what he was on about and only then found out the game had been called off. Went to the rearranged game and I think it was a £5 food voucher.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I was Also at Swindon when we were 4 -0 down when the ref called it off.

the locals were not happy!

That was the one I was thinking of - I wouldn't call it a waste of time but it was the season when Wardie scored 36 goals and we went up on the Seagulls Special train expecting a win, Swindon absolutely murdered us until Nobby Horton convinced the ref that the mud bath was not going to improve.

Swindon players and fans went mad - trip back to train station was eventful !

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
3-0 against Walsall......David Livermore at left back :facepalm:

Was exactly the game that sprung to my mind. That was proper grim that night.

3 down earlier on, Walsall were shit, we were worse. Nothing going forward, Livermore at fault for all 3 goals. Sitting near the foot of the table just waiting to go down. To think that was only a few seasons ago is bizarre.

Edit: Just had a look and our team that night was as follows: Brighton: (4-4-2) Andersen; Whing, El-Abd (Elphick 46), Heath, Livermore (Borrowdale 46); Carole (Davies 69), Jarrett, Bangura, Cox. Forster, Owusu. Subs not used: McLeod, Fraser.

Also like the quote on the official report on the website which says "the ball spent so much time off the ground it was collecting air miles".

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I should say Grimsby away, 2003. All that way to get relegated. But I won't, because it was a ruddy brilliant weekend, aside from the football match at the end of it...

0-5 at Palace will take some beating, particularly with being held back in a side street by the police for what seemed like 18 hours.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Most away trips, even when we've lost, have generally been pretty good fun regardless because I've been with good people. Having said that, I remember a 3-1 defeat at Crewe a few years back as being particularly unpleasant, especially as I was living in Exeter at the time and it took me until 1am (and a taxi from Bristol Temple Meads which thankfully the rail company paid for) to get home as the trains were absolutely screwed.

Other highlights include losing 5-1 at Plymouth with Rami Shaaban in goal, although bizarrely losing 1-0 the following season was even worse as we offered utterly nothing going forward. That was the year we finished bottom of the Championship, I believe. Bournemouth away on New Year's Day with Wayne Henderson's howler was pretty bad as well, especially as my car broke down on the way back home, though happily I think we'd reached at least Lancing by that point!

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Blackburn Rovers- Nov 1991

-Late train
-Only two hours at the East Lancs Beer Festival (and beer is crap)
-Crap Weather
-Lost 1-0 standing in that awful away end
-Train late going home
-Felt really ill with a blinding headache.
-Police board train because idiot Albion fans smash tables
-Too Late back in Euston so BR send me back in a taxi with other Albion fans far happier than me who is by now very ill.
-Arrive home and its pissing with rain.
-Throw up

I doubt many will beat that one....:mad:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Half way to dagemham boxing day couple of yrs ago and called off. thankfully hadnt left brighton by the time wrexham otiginally called off on the tuesday.

Always remember goin to pompey and it pissed down no roof and we lost 3-0 circa 88/89

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Most Orient games, never seem to get a result there.

Huddersfield away (7-1) didn't get home until 5am, coach driver thought he found a short cut.,clearly not.....

Northampton in the cup a couple of years back, f***ing stupid Michael Poke.

As mentioned, Orient in the JPT a few years back, losing in the last minute to a goal that I thought was offside by Pauleta I think his name was.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Only been to one Villa away match....Last season away to Man U. Young diving for a penalty and we got thumped 4-0. 3 hour drive from Brum, sitting on the M6 like its a car park. Being so desperate for a piss I make my mate pull over on the side of the road. Get back in car drive 1/2 km to realize my wallet fell out of pocket back where I piss. Marching down the M6 with my mate reversing down the shoulder to get my wallet. Poor result. Best part was getting back to Brum and beating my mate 10-8 on Fifa :lol:

Beating a friend at FIFA makes up for a lot of football woes.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Ipswich away - last match of season - early 90's. They got promoted and we were relegated. Their fans invaded the pitch at final whistle and came over to us giving it the big one. Got back to my car and to top the day off I'd been given a parking ticket.

Palace 0 - 5 - just the worst - after waiting so many years to play them again in the league.

Watford 0 - 1 last season. Such high hopes but we were clueless.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
4-0 at Stockport in the slashing rain stands out, 6-1 at Oldham (even colder than usual) and 1-0 at Rochdale mid-week. It was freezing and we conceded the only goal when Ashley Neal (groan) fell flat on his face trying to control the ball on halfway.

My other wasted day was my fault - was in Liverpool one Xmas and due to spend the day with mum-in-law. Mrs KK gave me an unexpected pass and I headed for our away game at Blackpool with a joyous heart. When I got there...horror. As they had knocked down half the ground it was all ticket, and I could not get in.
Decided wasn't going back and walked up past the ground, where I found a bridge that overlooked the ground. As there was one stand completely demolished I could see one half of the pitch really clearly. So I settled down to watch...
First half we battered them and led 2-0 - only problem for me was we were kicking the other way so all I saw was Kuipers trying to keep warm as the ball remained in their half for 45 minutes, and Blackpool kicking off after our goals.
Encouraged by a swift pint I headed back for the second half. These being the Taylor days the inevitable happened - we kicked off then rushed to put 9 men behind the ball trying to hold on to what we had. We conceded the equaliser in about the 95th minute, and all I saw of the second half was us kicking off and BZ shivering away virtually on his own waiting for a ball that never came.

Guess it was better than watching James Bond with m-i-l but imagine how sick (and cold) I was driving back down the M6!

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Some friends of mine who are QPR fans went to a game v Port Vale I think. They were losing 4-0 at half time and they decided to leave. QPR then scored four in the second half to draw the game which they heard on the radio on the way back down.

Worst for me probably Brentford about 10 years ago when we lost 4-0 - think they were all penalties. It was my sons first game who was 7 at the time, Leaving the ground he turned round and said 'Dad what does **** mean.' I said 'Son you never use that word. Well unless the ref has just given 4 penalties against you that is'

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Makes me wonder about LC away fixtures with Gus.
Those are going to be wasted journeys if anyone hopes we might win

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Bristol Rovers a couple of years ago......I was actually inside the ground when they called it off.

Although I did nip down to Ikea for some meatballs and chips (gravy and berry sauce) so every cloud.......

Oh and losing 5-0 at Selhurst was a bit rubbish.

This one. Was in a cab just about to arrive at the ground when someone rang me to say it's off. Told the cabby to turn round and take me back to the station.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Almost every game at Gillingham we were so poor during that period only thing that really kept me going was the fact we collectively were keeping the Albion alive

Indeed, I claim a club record of seeing us lose 9 consecutive times at 'home'... 7 in a row, then I had a winter fortnight in Barbados when I missed a win and a draw, back home & back for two more defeats...a 1-3 defeat on a Sat & another 1-3 just 3 days later were very hard going

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Selhurst Park 2002 - Steve Coppell's first game in charge - we lost 5-1 - Mayo was dreadful, Wayne Routledge ran rings round us!
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here