Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away attendance at Sunderland FA Cup

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Yorkie said:
We took 1114 to Sunderland but just to get this into perspective last season we took 419 to Lincoln in the first round of the FA cup

think yorkie's got it spot on here when the game means something to the fans like the play off semi,s at Sunderland last season it will sell out with away fans. none of the palace fans gave a monkeys about the cup game with Sunderland so know one went.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
My brother spoke to one of our mates whose a CP fan if he was going to Sunderland a few days ago and he said most of the regular way fans were giving it a wide berth because when they beat Sunderland in the play-offs last season, there was serious trouble at the end and they even beat up one of their disabled supporters! Understandably didn`t fancy it again.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Simster said:
Bluetit, I notice that once again you choose to point out the top end crowd figures rather than the lowest league gates and lowest league averages. Maybe that's something to do with the fact that you got 1,904 for a division 4 match as recently as last decade. And your average was also pitiful around that time. We were getting more than your gates that season when we were the second worst team in the league and playing 85 miles away in Gillingham - averaging 2,300 and 3,200 while finishing 23rd and 18th only 6 or 7 years ago.

Come on now Simster, I wasn't trying to pretend that OUR support is terrific. It isn't. Not by any means. And it never really has been considering the size of the city we play in.

I can do much better than the figures you quoted though. In March 1995 we had a crowd of 1,611 for a 3-0 victory over Wigan Athletic. In February 1991 we drew a bumper crowd of 1,629 for a Friday night 1-3 defeat at the hands of Aldershot, and later that same season we drew a whopping 1,793 for a midweek 1-1 draw with Blackpool.

However, our real pulling power was demonstrated during the wonderful 86/87 season, when we averaged a mighty 2,826 (our lowest ever) and drew fabulous crowds of 1,785 (Halifax), 1,556 (Wrexham), 1,362 (Orient), 1,868 (Exeter), 1,840 (Torquay) and 1,334 (Hartlepool). I was at all of those games. Those were the days!

Understandably, you weren't getting bigger crowds than us when you were playing in Gillingham as you claimed. Nowhere near in fact. 1997/98 you had an average of 2,329 while we had 3,610, while in 1998/99 you had 3,253 while we had 7,141.

But this thread was never about Cardiff's dodgy support anyway. It was about Brighton fans taking the piss out of Palace's support. Which is ridiculous, whichever way you look at it.

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
Simster said:
In 1979 when we both got promoted, you averaged 30,000 and we averaged 25,000, both clubs were pissing on most top flight team averages. Your last game saw 51,000 win the Championship and our last 6 saw our matches completely sold out and in the ground 2 hours before kick off.
So if the Goldstone was bigger we could have got more fans in and our average attendance would be higher. About the same as theirs I would guess.

Also, what where the Terraces like at Palace? My Dad says if you had more than 20,000 at the Goldstone then it would be difficult to see. Was this a problem with terraces in general? And would it have put fans off going?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
David M said:
So if the Goldstone was bigger we could have got more fans in and our average attendance would be higher. About the same as theirs I would guess.

The correct average figures for the 78/79 season were: Palace 23,294, Albion 22,145. Curiously, Albion actually got a higher average attendance the season before, when the figure was 25,265.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Aaaaaarghhhhh ! it will take a while for us to build up our crowds after letting the Goldstone go to rack and ruin, Gillingham, and it not being easy to get tickets at Withdean ..................

But there is a lot of support in Sussex for our team, and given a stadium we will win them back.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Simster said:
Bluetit, I notice that once again you choose to point out the top end crowd figures rather than the lowest league gates and lowest league averages.

Maybe that's something to do with the fact that you got 1,904 for a division 4 match as recently as last decade. And your average was also pitiful around that time. We were getting more than your gates that season when we were the second worst team in the league and playing 85 miles away in Gillingham - averaging 2,300 and 3,200 while finishing 23rd and 18th only 6 or 7 years ago.

As for Palace, in 1984 they played us at their toilet in front if 8,025 - one of their highest crowds of the season in what was effecitvely a Coca Cola Championship match. Oh, and they lost 5-0 at home to Wimbledon in front of 4,005.

You see - you can make statistics say whatever you want them to say. But I do agree with you to some extent. I cringe when I see people taking the piss out of Palace's support almost as much as when I hear how our away support is exceptionally fantastic and MASSIVE. Sadly, Palace's home support have turned up in very decent numbers for 10-12 years now, and they don't pretend to be a huge club - unlike Portsmouth fans who seem to forget that 8,343 were turning up only 3 years ago when they were bumbling along in our division around 16th place.
Sadly, Palace's home support have turned up in very decent numbers for 10-12 years now, Thank you. Our support has been reasonable since coppell took over during 1984/85 season the fans came back after our torrid 4 years with various managers in the hot seat. Stability with coppell secured a decent crowd and our averages rose each year from then on and we currently have some 18.000 season ticket holders each season.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Understandably, you weren't getting bigger crowds than us when you were playing in Gillingham as you claimed. Nowhere near in fact.
I wasn't saying that. I was saying that we were getting more when we were dreadful and playing in Gillingham (97-98) than you were getting in that 1991 season.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Simster said:
Your support has always been bigger than ours, although we ought to be able to pretty much match your gates with a proper stadium. In 1979 when we both got promoted, you averaged 30,000 and we averaged 25,000, both clubs were pissing on most top flight team averages. Your last game saw 51,000 win the Championship and our last 6 saw our matches completely sold out and in the ground 2 hours before kick off. My mate had a "classic Palace matches" video and showed me the footage of a 3-1 Palace win at your place. 40,000 in the ground including about 12,000 Albion at one end. Happy days.

Where is this video now? How can I get a copy?

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Yeah we could have easily got 40k+in those great days,o well just memorys now.:clap:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Perry Milkins said:
Where is this video now? How can I get a copy?
Peery i`ve got that Video and i love watching Vince Hilaire banging the ball in the net. Also it`s got a classic moment where Jim Cannon completely misses the ball whilst trying to score only for it fall to Dave Swindlehurst ii think who slams it home from 20Yards GREAT moments Palace fans in ectasy!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here