Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away attendance at Sunderland FA Cup

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
paulie said:
Jol's too busy planning for the next round of the cup. You lost.

We have taken full allocations to away games in the PL. It's the only games that count.

But you wouldn't know, you've never been in the PL and never will. Carrying on congratulating yourself on the fans going to Spurs. It's about your peak before you slide back down the leagues, Falmer or no Falmer.
Paulie, you really are a c u n t :lolol:.

Palarse mate in my office says loads of your lot turned back half way up cos of the weather. Says the train stopped about an hour from Newcastle and it was surrounded by water, both sides, like on a lake! Must have been fun! Then it was taxis from Newcastle to Sunderland cos trains all cancelled. 250 still poor though ;)

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
The Laughing Bluebird said:
The last time we were in the top flight was 1962. Our average then was 19,294.

Cardiff's highest average attendance was 37,933. Our record attendance was 60,855.

Palace's highest average attendance was 30,167. Their record attendance was 51,482.

Albion's highest average attendance was 25,265. Your record attendance was 36,342.

Wow that is impressive.

Do you know how many soldier ants (on average) form part of a colony in the jungles of Belize? Can you do it in reverse order please.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
eastlondonseagull said:
Paulie, you really are a c u n t :lolol:.

Palarse mate in my office says loads of your lot turned back half way up cos of the weather. Says the train stopped about an hour from Newcastle and it was surrounded by water, both sides, like on a lake! Must have been fun! Then it was taxis from Newcastle to Sunderland cos trains all cancelled. 250 still poor though ;)

That's not nice is it ELS?

Did I hit a raw nerve about your loser club?

You'll be going to Sheff U of course, if your mum let's you. Ill-informed cretin.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
keaton said:
The Goldstone's capacity was only about 16,000

The goldstone held about 28,800 then but average gates were lower all round then. You would have to increase our average by about 50% at least for a comparison. I could do the numbers bu cant be bothered.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Perry Milkins said:
Do you know how many soldier ants (on average) form part of a colony in the jungles of Belize?

Which species? There is more than one you know.....

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Perry Milkins said:
CB it was about 36,000 at Spurs. Some of the locals came along for the fun.
Still anyone who has a fiery Vindaloo is guaranteed a good turnout.
Perry. Did you go. And if so did you make any friends???

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
looney said:
The goldstone held about 28,800 then but average gates were lower all round then. You would have to increase our average by about 50% at least for a comparison.

Bollocks.

During the same season (82/83), Man Utd were averaging 41,552, Liverpool's was 34,758, Spurs were getting 30,581, etc.

Here's an interesting excerpt from 'Albion - The First 100 Years':

"With an annual wage bill approaching £1 million gates of 22,000 were required to break even, but the opening match of the 82/83 season saw only 13,641 turn up to watch the team draw with Ipswich. Despite good home form, gates continued to be poor, but the return of Peter Ward on loan from Forest meant that over 20,000 watched Albion beat West Ham in his first match."

Another excerpt from later on in the same season:

" Bamber was really left with no choice - the club were heavily in debt and barely 10,000 had turned up to watch the previous home match aginst Norwich."

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
paulie said:
That's not nice is it ELS?

Did I hit a raw nerve about your loser club?

You'll be going to Sheff U of course, if your mum let's you. Ill-informed cretin.
Cretin, most definitely, but not ill-informed Paulie. If it wasn't for the fans, this club would be dead and you'd have nobody to get all het up about. That's what makes the Albion such a fantastic club. And you know it.

Of course am going to Sheffield, can't bloody wait. Will have to break mummy's curfew though.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
looney said:
The goldstone held about 28,800 then but average gates were lower all round then. You would have to increase our average by about 50% at least for a comparison. I could do the numbers bu cant be bothered.
What an excuse. Attendances were lower. The likes of Liverpool,Man utd have always held good attenddences. In the seventies we always averaged 16.000

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Bollocks.

During the same season (82/83), Man Utd were averaging 41,552, Liverpool's was 34,758, Spurs were getting 30,581, etc.

Your full of shit, post the lot then work out the difference in attendances.

Man u 41,552/67,000 > 50%, liverpools is about 50% higher, spurs is about 20% higher.

Look at the crowds other teams were getting.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hooliganism in the 70's and 80's had a big impact on attendances at the Goldstone. Fact.

If we are in the Prem at Falmer we will easily fill it every week. In the Championship I reckon at least 15,000. More if it is a team with a big away following.

Although it MIGHT be fair to say that whilst Palace may have more 'supporters numbers' ours are still the best in the way we have kept battling against the odds. I cant see many (any?) clubs going to the extraordinary lengths that we have to keep our club alive.

I base the numbers theory on our last "great" season at the Goldstone where we challenged for the play offs in 91. We never got over 10,000 at home apart from the play off semis and the Liverpool cup replay, despite the ground at the time holding about 14,000.

And yes 250 is rather poor. Thats our away following at Hartlepool in the old Div 3.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Perry Milkins said:
Yes I did blokie and no...no friends. Do you have any friends?
No Perry. Us pikeys find it hard to associated with the public therefore my friends are my family.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Our fan base would be small as a lot of fans are out of the habit, it would take a few seasons to build up with some success on the pitch. 10,000 average for this division is genorous to begin with.

But we have a wide catchment area and more potential than palace, but I dont think we have a board thats ambitous.

Those picks of falmer dont look as if the ground can be enlarged like Hull Cities can be.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
looney said:
Your full of shit, post the lot then work out the difference in attendances. Man u 41,552/67,000 > 50%, liverpools is about 50% higher, spurs is about 20% higher.

Attendances were generally a lot lower in the early Eighties, no doubt about that. But they weren't "at least 50% lower" as you suggested.

Lets' take the three clubs you quote as examples:

Man Utd: 82/83 - 41,552, 04/05 - 67,859 (a rise of 38%)
Liverpool: 82/83 - 34,758, 04/05 - 42,273 (a rise of 18%)
Spurs: 82/83 - 30,581, 04/05 - 35,833 (a rise of 14%)

50%? Your maths teacher must've been shit.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Tony Meola - just a couple of things

Hartlepool in Div 3 was in fact all ticket for us. 856 to be precise which was filled.

and we did get 10,000 in that season for the play-offs.

Twice i think.

Certainly midweek against Sheff wed when they murdered us 4-0.

And also the other midweek game against West Ham when Ludek Miklosko spilled Johnny Byrnes effort and we won 1-0.

Sheff wed was 10,769 and I think West Ham was a smidgen over 11,000.

Average attandance for the season was about 8,600.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
eastlondonseagull said:
Cretin, most definitely, but not ill-informed Paulie. If it wasn't for the fans, this club would be dead and you'd have nobody to get all het up about. That's what makes the Albion such a fantastic club. And you know it.

Of course am going to Sheffield, can't bloody wait. Will have to break mummy's curfew though.

Can't say I get het up about BHA - I laughed alot the last time I saw them play at SP.

But you truly are fantastic and no other club has ever had any difficulties. Three cheers and a rousing chorus of GOBSHITE.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Attendances were generally a lot lower in the early Eighties, no doubt about that. But they weren't "at least 50% lower" as you suggested.

Lets' take the three clubs you quote as examples:

Man Utd: 82/83 - 41,552, 04/05 - 67,859 (a rise of 38%)
Liverpool: 82/83 - 34,758, 04/05 - 42,273 (a rise of 18%)
Spurs: 82/83 - 30,581, 04/05 - 35,833 (a rise of 14%)

50%? Your maths teacher must've been shit.

Haha, you cant count can you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here