Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie Press

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Just been reading The Sydney Daily Mail online (relatives in Oz) and they really ripped into our cyclists with some really disparaging remarks almost to the point of hate. No need for it.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Just been reading The Sydney Daily Mail online (relatives in Oz) and they really ripped into our cyclists with some really disparaging remarks almost to the point of hate. No need for it.

Sorry that should read Sydney Morning Herald.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007

Take a copy, and send it back to them at the end of the Olympics and a copy of the medal table

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

They're still smarting 'cos Cadel Evans was whipped out of sight in the Tour de France :)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This would be why...

Cavendish lamented the lack of help that the British team received and singled out the Australians.

"No one wants to help us, the Australians just sit there," Cavendish told the BBC.

"They always just ride negatively as well.

"They had one guy, Stu, he was not going to win from that front group.

"They were just happy to see us lose."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cavendish was a complete cock about it so I'm not surprised he's been ripped to shreds over it. Ultimately, the British team were the team to beat, so it stands to reason NO-ONE was going to help them. And why single out the Aussies anyway? It was the Germans who had the second best sprinter after Cavendish, and they did nothing.

And anyway, his interview at the end of the ride exposed him as a classless twat. He went right down in my estimations after that, and I should imagine anyone else who watched it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So delusional.

We care more about beating the Yanks than you.
To be fair, after your ridiculous comments regarding the cricket, why would anyone here actually choose to believe you? Have there been bets between Australian and American politicians over Olympic performances? I doubt it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Cavendish was a complete cock about it so I'm not surprised he's been ripped to shreds over it. Ultimately, the British team were the team to beat, so it stands to reason NO-ONE was going to help them. And why single out the Aussies anyway? It was the Germans who had the second best sprinter after Cavendish, and they did nothing.

And anyway, his interview at the end of the ride exposed him as a classless twat. He went right down in my estimations after that, and I should imagine anyone else who watched it.

This! The guy was a complete arse to the press reporter who asked if he was knackered from his trip round France on a pushbike.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
To be fair, after your ridiculous comments regarding the cricket, why would anyone here actually choose to believe you? Have there been bets between Australian and American politicians over Olympic performances? I doubt it.

My comments weren't ridiculous. They were backed up with flat out statistical truth. You can't comment on the game of cricket out here because you don't live out here or see local cricket clubs struggling for numbers.

Participation rates of cricket have been dropping for a few years now over here. Nothing like as popular as it once was. Other sports have over taken it.

When it comes to the Olympics most people would want to beat the Yanks first and foremost.

It's been like that for a while now.

Is there even a sport at the Olympics that the our two nations have a fierce rivalry with?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Very much this.

If you're supposedly the best in the world and the greatest team ever then everyone else is going to want to beat you. Thats what happens in every single sport, I can't understand why they were bleating so much about about the other teams. If they're that good, they should have a plan B surely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My comments weren't ridiculous. They were backed up with flat out statistical truth. You can't comment on the game of cricket out here because you don't live out here or see local cricket clubs struggling for numbers.

Participation rates of cricket have been dropping for a few years now over here. Nothing like as popular as it once was. Other sports have over taken it.
Of course I can, and I am. Participation rates here ebb and flow too, but it doesn't mean we don't want the Ashes back as a nation.

When it comes to the Olympics most people would want to beat the Yanks first and foremost.

It's been like that for a while now.

Is there even a sport at the Olympics that the our two nations have a fierce rivalry with?
Everyone wants to beat them FFS, and that is because they win the most medals. I'm fairly sure the Americans are more concerned with staying ahead of China and Russia overall, than beating little old Australia. You have ONE sporting rivalry with them as far as I can see - swimming. But the Aussies are fairly strong in the velodrome and in the rowing, which also happen to be our strengths. I'm struggling to believe most Aussies are more concerned with beating America overall than beating GB - especially as we finished above you in Beijing in the medals table, for the first time in 4 Olympics...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No, it's because Cavendish was crying over not getting a medal :)

Oh well, I stand corrected, you've obviously spoken to the reporter concerned and he's clued you in as to exactly why he wrote that.

That's all we need, a bloody Aussie apologist; if it wasn't bad enough with half the threads on NSC infested with Palarse trolls!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The suggestion that the Aussies are 'concerned' with competing with the US (overall) is one of the most laughable things I've ever read.

It would be akin to a quote from a QPR fan, stating that they are not bothered about their matches with Fulham this season, its all about finishing above Manchester United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here