Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

attila getting all emotional on SCR..

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
ROSM said:
How can he be sanctimonious - he is only giving an opinion. Just as you are.

There are two things in life that are a certainty - one is taxes, the other is that a manager will eventually be a failure................with some you have to wait a long while. It has taken McGhee over two years to get to this point but in that time he had two successful seasons.

The out mob on here are a self fulfilling prophecy - keep slagging a manager off long enough and they will eventually be right.

I am seriously considering not renewing my season ticket and that is not down to McGhee or the team but more over I am fed up with having to see and listen to the mindless people who will only ever criticise anybody and everybody who ever put their head above the parapet.

sadly Withdean is full of people who just sit there WAITING to be entertained (not singing, chanting etc.) and others who are sooooo negative. For the former should sod off to the theatre and the latter can revel in their moment of doom glory. I wont be there to see your smug faces!

But of course Dwayne, you so rarely attend that perhaps I can just ignore you from afar?
top top post fella:clap: :bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
You said three shirts earlier.
What have you bought? I'm not having a go but interested. Don't forget there is a 40% markup.

I would think a lot more than 40% MARK UP 40% GP perhaps.

A shirt selling at £35 if carrying a 40% mark up would only return a GP of 16.5% which if correct would explain why we are in the s..t regarding finances.

I would suggest the mark up should be in excess of 250% which after the deduction for VAT would give a GP in the region of 58%

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I would think a lot more than 40% MARK UP 40% GP perhaps.

A shirt selling at £35 if carrying a 40% mark up would only return a GP of 16.5% which if correct would explain why we are in the s..t regarding finances.

I would suggest the mark up should be in excess of 250% which after the deduction for VAT would give a GP in the region of 58%
A shirt selling at £35 carrying a 40% mark-up implies it was bought for £25. Of that £35, £29.79 goes to the club, £5.21 to the VAT man. However, the club has paid £25 for the shirt, of which £3.72 is VAT. That £3.72 is claimable back, so in effect, the club has paid £21.28 for the shirt. So, taking VAT out of the equation, you'll find that £29.79 is a 40% mark-up on £21.28.

Unless I am missing something, and an accountant / taxman can explain it for me.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
The Large One said:
A shirt selling at £35 carrying a 40% mark-up implies it was bought for £25. Of that £35, £29.79 goes to the club, £5.21 to the VAT man. However, the club has paid £25 for the shirt, of which £3.72 is VAT. That £3.72 is claimable back, so in effect, the club has paid £21.28 for the shirt. So, taking VAT out of the equation, you'll find that £29.79 is a 40% mark-up on £21.28.

Unless I am missing something, and an accountant / taxman can explain it for me.

Has it taken you from mid February to make that calculation then?;)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
You said three shirts earlier.
. Don't forget there is a 40% markup.

If that is correct it is little wonder that the club are broke, a shirt that cost the club £10 to buy would sell at £16.45 being The cost + 40% + VAT = 28.6% Gross Profit not a lot.

I think that you probably meant 40 GROSS PROFIT meaning that the same shirt as quoted above would sell at £19.50 (10 x 1.66 + VAT).

Other than Sports World I would think that there are very few sports shops that would work on a GP of 28% because of the large investment of stock and slow return on the investment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:

Where you are oing wrong in your calulations is that if the shirt cost the club £25 to buy the club would pay VAT on £25 probably as most wholesale prices are quoted ex VAT. The input and out put VAT is a seperate issue completely.

Disregard the VAT the club pays in out put VAT.

A shirt that cost the club £25 with a 40 %mark up would be 25 +40% = £35 +vat = £41.12. Of this amount the club would pay £6.12 in input VAT and claim back £4.38 output tax being the VAT they paid on their purchase. This shirt would then return a profit of £10 being 28.5% GP.

The GP is the amount of profit as a % of the SELLING PRICE of an article not as a % of the COST price.

Hence the misconception that disregarding all VAT if you buy something for 50p and sell it for a £1 you make 100% profit. That is incorrect you make 50% being 50p profit on £1.00. It is mathematically impossible to make 100% GP if you pay anything for an article eg. cost 1p sell at £100 =£99.99p profit =99.999%GP.

I challenge any accountants or similar to dispute this.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A lot of people confuse mark up and Gross Profit %, for example a 50% gross profit % equates to a 100% markup.

ie something cost £50, its mark up doubles it so it sells for £100.

The Gross Profit % is sales divided by sales less purchases so 100/(100-50) = 50%

VAT will rarely come into mark up as VAT registered people generally talk in net figures (without VAT)

I would say the original 40% would be GP not markup

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I missed this first time round

Dwayne and Hove born & bred

best unintentional double act since Kev the Ape and 1066 ? :D

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
Nowt wrong with Hangleton as that is where the ARS was created and I've emailed the council so they can get a blue plaque ready :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Marvellous scenes!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here