Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
A friend of mine works in the university (near the middle) and as she was walking out her office she said the roar from the goal made her jump and commented on how loud the stadium was!

sammy g

I just wish North Stand would stop singing that Ultra song. Its quite embarrassing.
I know this song has been done to death on here, but having experienced it on Sat in the NS, I think it works, it sounds good and as we all know 90% of songs sung at Football matches is not unique to that club. I am happy to sing it, although only know the Sussex By The Sea bit so far!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Enough of this North v West arguments on who is the loudest.

When the North is singing you cannot hear if the West is singing because of the noise in the north. You only appreciate the noise when the West starts a song or the "We're the West stand", bit.

The only people to judge are those in the east and the south, but even then the noise seems to go forward rather than around so can sound different between the eats and the south.

rockypaul

May 23, 2011
Would be nice as we are at our new stadium there were one or two new songs instead of the familiar "Stand up if you hate 'scum' (sorry Palace)"..
sitting in the East you hear the north all the time, but when they sing off against the west then the noise is impressive..!!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
it was ok tonight, not as good as Sat, but I dont think it will ever reach that scale again as that was a great one off. for me and I know people dont like it, but the loudest song we have that gets the entire ground signing is the good old "AAAAALLLBBBIIIIIOOOOON"

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4292200 said:
I think I know the ones you mean, they were paralytic and kept repeating the same crap over and over

I was stood just to the left of these, with the Ultras if you want to call them that. They were particularly annoying, same four songs on rotation, never more than one verse on each. The stand up if you hate Palace chant should only be heard once a game in my opinion, and only then so we can follow it up with jump around if you hate Palace. It would look superb if we had the whole stadium jumping around like loons. The key for me for the North Stand at the moment is to keep each chant/song going on longer, it sounds better this way, there is more time for people to join in (in the same stand and others) and as a bonus if you set up to sing a song for longer you will probably go at it a bit slower.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Apart from my mates there was no one around me who were there on Saturday.
Different crowd= Different atmo.
I wish we'd get a few more songs going though, We tried getting an Ashley Barnes song going & a couple of others going just to be drowned out by albi-yawn & gosbts.

The ultras if they're going to be the songleaders in the north stand need to vary it a bit look how the one song has caught on already

They also need to slow down SBTS-if they did, loads more would join in all around the stadium. I don't bother joining in anymore simply because it sounds shit being sung so fast-and it seems to be getting even faster these days.

SLOW IT DOWN and it will sound fantastic.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They also need to slow down SBTS-if they did, loads more would join in all around the stadium. I don't bother joining in anymore simply because it sounds shit being sung so fast-and it seems to be getting even faster these days.

SLOW IT DOWN and it will sound fantastic.

That is not the Ultras, they sing it with all the words or deliberately slowly so they are singing on their own once everyone else has rushed through it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That is not the Ultras, they sing it with all the words or deliberately slowly so they are singing on their own once everyone else has rushed through it.

The point I'm trying to make is that if they want to be the ones who start the songs, they need to persist with a slow version of SBTS. The more they do it, the more will join them and within a few games (hopefully) we'll all be joining in at the right speed.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I hope thats a wind up comment...please?

I long for the days where I could rock up at a "stadium" with 5 minutes to go, still get something to eat, have a piss and be in my seat by kick off. As well as getting a drink and having another piss at half time without missing 10 minutes of the second half. Those were the days

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Given the humdrum nature of the game I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent, and proved that even on a 'quiet' night the Amex is still going to be fun. At withdean that game would have been silent apart from tackle on Vincelot.

Spot bollock on. At Withers that game would have been played in front of 3k and in total silence.

Atmos was pretty good and will only get better. Hopefully.

Aug 9, 2011
Atmosphere was decent for a cup game last night. Compared to most new stadiums, Derby, Boro, etc, the stadium is a good one for noise. I was right next to the North Stand (in the West) and never heard Gillingham fans all game. Having the main singing section so far from the away support didn't help though

Twente2

Jul 12, 2011
couldnt hear gills apart for maybe 10 secs in the north, east sounded v quiet like north at withers. Overall was excellent atmospehere for what felt like a pre season game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...I was right next to the North Stand (in the West) and never heard Gillingham fans all game. Having the main singing section so far from the away support didn't help though

Indeed... despite the fact that they were clearly making quite a lot of noise. I guess the same must be true for the away fans... that they can hardly hear the North Stand?

It's a pity, because you won't get the taunting/reaction banter that often helps to build the atmosphere.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It's a pity, because you won't get the taunting/reaction banter that often helps to build the atmosphere.

Yes you will, between the away fans and the southern end of the West.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I have seen many better matches at our temp. running-track home, than I saw last night. That would have rated down with some of the worst, in footballing terms.

Disappointing - yes

But

Last night was a world away from the worst football served up at the Withdean over the last decade. Walsall's 9 man victory still haunts me. Those games were poles apart in terms of poor quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here