Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At the risk of sounding racist

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They're not necessarily stop & search tickets. We are obliged to give a stop/search form to someone if we're actually searching them under S1 of PACE, or S23 of the MDA.

But we're technically asked to give one to anyone we have significant contact with, ie stopping to ask them questions.

If an incident had happened somewhere and I stopped a kid (or anyone) nearby, and asked a few questions, took details etc, they like us to give them a form. All it does is tell you why you were stopped. It doesn't mean anything really. We're also supposed to give them to drivers who've given negative breath tests too, as another example. We don't always give them out, apart from when people have been searched, but to be honest, when you stop groups of kids for whatever reason, they tend to specifically request the forms. Sometimes they do it just for the sake of making you write something, and to give you more paperwork. Maybe it gives them credibility among their mates!

I think the idea is actually to protect the public in one sense, as there's officer and self/defined ethnic ID boxes to tick on each form. Which, when the forms are all counted up, allows monitoring of who the police are stopping, to ensure they're not unfairly targeting certain sections of the community, as has clearly happened in the past.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mumm said:
He just never stood a chance.
It's almost cruel, isn't it? Like a cat with a particularly crap, blind mouse.

Edna :bowdown:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I did wonder what it was all about because both my sons have had them along with most of their mates, My eldest son has been given them for as little as walking home from his girlfriends house late at night.

Last edited:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
edna krabappel said:
Quick bit of social commentary here:

It seems to be a fact that poverty is a factor in crime levels. In lots of inner city sink estates, there are large black communities, with little hope of moving out, and few prospects, ambitions, or role models.

If you live somewhere like that, I guess you're more likely to fall into the trap of gang culture, which tends to generate more SERIOUS violent crime. Therefore many of the crimes that attract public attention, ie the seriously violent ones, are likely to be committed from people with that kind of background. Logically therefore, black males are more likely to be involved in that kind of thing than people, generally white, from more affluent communities.

Presumably, though, this is more to do with the background though, than someone's ethnic origin. Just a thought eh?

edna, your reasoned, measured, informed and pragmatic arguments have no place on nsc.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
British Bulldog said:
I did wonder what it was all about because both my sons have had them along with most of their mates, My eldest son has been given them for as little as walking home from his girlfriends house late at night.

Yeah, it doesn't mean anything really, and in particular doesn't mean you've done anything wrong.

Its to advise people why they've been stopped, which I think is fair enough (half will be too drunk to remember in the morning anyway). Also, like I said, it allows monitoring of who is being stopped, ie ethnically, and it also gives you the details of the officer who stopped you, should you have any queries.

Personally, I tend to give one to somebody whenever I've asked them for their details. It keeps everything above board. People don't have to accept them, they can use them as toilet paper or tear them up in front of their mates if they want (I might give them a £50 ticket for littering though ;) ).

I'd guess with your son, someone probably just asked him where he was off to at that time of night. He might have been in an area with a high burglary rate or something. If he'd been searched, they have to have "reasonable grounds" for doing it, and it would have said so on the form.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This morning I had a 5:00am call from parents of one of my daughters friends. She had been clubbing in town - had made it back to Steyning, but had got separated and could not be found. Has she come to our house ?

Police had already been called - and acted as you would both hope and expect. They took control, followed their procedures, and the girl was found (passed out in a garden, no shoes, wearing a thin top) and is now recovering.

The point of this posting is that when they were really needed they were there and did their job.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
edna krabappel said:
People don't have to accept them, they can use them as toilet paper or tear them up in front of their mates if they want (I might give them a £50 ticket for littering though ;) ).

Spoken like a true copper! :lolol:

Still for personal reasons I wont have anything bad to say about the Police today.

Black N Tan

Jan 28, 2006
West London
edna krabappel said:
Well, you're entitled to your views. For what it's worth, the number of police officers killed in the line of duty is about the same as firefighters, so there you go. In risk terms, go figure (but I guess going into a burning house is a bit more glamorous than having some crack-head with mental health issues point a knife at you). If there's horrific sights to be seen, you can bet your bottom dollar that we'll have to get involved in the same way as all of the emergency services do.

One last point- it may shock you to learn that in general, police officers are recruited from the human race, and that we do generally act out of concern, and not just because its our job. That's why we do it, and I was in a job for the money, it certainly wouldn't be this one. Paid handsomely, lol. Do you think I could go to see a little old lady who's had her life savings stolen by a door-to-door conman and not care? You must be a very cynical man.

PS It's interesting that you seem to have this strong anti-police feeling, yet name yourself after a notorious pseudo-police squad that is generally considered to have been used by the British government to terrorise and harass the Catholics in Ireland in the early 20th Century.
Do you take your name from a lonely spinster desperately trying to lure a mummys boy away from his mother because this is you in real life or is it simply because you enjoy the Simpsons. Try not to analyse everyone, I take my name from a drink I enjoy, Guinness and Bitter

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
edna krabappel said:
Yeah, it doesn't mean anything really, and in particular doesn't mean you've done anything wrong.

Its to advise people why they've been stopped, which I think is fair enough (half will be too drunk to remember in the morning anyway). Also, like I said, it allows monitoring of who is being stopped, ie ethnically, and it also gives you the details of the officer who stopped you, should you have any queries.

Personally, I tend to give one to somebody whenever I've asked them for their details. It keeps everything above board. People don't have to accept them, they can use them as toilet paper or tear them up in front of their mates if they want (I might give them a £50 ticket for littering though ;) ).

I'd guess with your son, someone probably just asked him where he was off to at that time of night. He might have been in an area with a high burglary rate or something. If he'd been searched, they have to have "reasonable grounds" for doing it, and it would have said so on the form.

At the end of the day, it should be obvious for people to realise that if you don't do anything wrong then you've got little or nothing to worry about.

I've been stop checked on at least 3 occasions and it's been no big deal because I had nothing to hide! I'd rather be challenged for any reason than have the Police do nothing at all and just hope nothing bad happens!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
jam the man's a hoolie

:ohmy::ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Dave the Gaffer said:
jam the man's a hoolie

:ohmy::ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

SHHHHHHHHHHH!

My employers don't know!

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jam The Man said:
SHHHHHHHHHHH!

My employers don't know!

:lolol: your secret's safe with me.

Perhaps there should be an opt out service for people who hate the police, for whatever their reasons are. That way they can sit at home, slag off every police officer in the whole world (cos they're all shit, after all), then when something really crap happens to them, they won't have that moral dilemma of what to do.

"Thank you for dialling 888, the opt-out service for those who think the police are shit. Please hold the line while we try to think of someone who cares enough about you to come out at 2am to resolve your problem.

If you have a mad axeman smashing his way into your house, press one.

If you are involved in a petty dispute with your neighbour because you don't like the way he once looked at you, press two.

If your 14 year old has stropped out of the house and gone missing for the tenth time this month and you can't be bothered to go and look for them but want someone else to, press three.

If you are calling because you've lost your expensive mobile phone but are pretending it's been stolen so as to get a crime number for your insurance claim, press four.

For all other enquiries, please hold the line.
[pause]
We are sorry, but we have been unable to find anyone willing to resolve your problems at this time. Should you change your mind and now wish to speak with the police, please replace the handset and dial 999. Thank you for calling 888"

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
edna krabappel said:
:lolol: your secret's safe with me..
Always knew I could trust the old Bill!

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Jam The Man said:
At the end of the day, it should be obvious for people to realise that if you don't do anything wrong then you've got little or nothing to worry about.

I've been stop checked on at least 3 occasions and it's been no big deal because I had nothing to hide! I'd rather be challenged for any reason than have the Police do nothing at all and just hope nothing bad happens!

It does'nt bother me getting stopped by the police ( except if they get the handcuffs out ) and my eldest bulldog is getting used to it now, But little bulldog was a little bit upset about it as he was trying to do a good deed at the time. I could'nt help but tease him when mrs bulldog found the ticket in his trousers pocket. Bad Dad. :lolol:

edna krabappel said:
:lolol: your secret's safe with me.

Perhaps there should be an opt out service for people who hate the police, for whatever their reasons are. That way they can sit at home, slag off every police officer in the whole world (cos they're all shit, after all), then when something really crap happens to them, they won't have that moral dilemma of what to do.

"Thank you for dialling 888, the opt-out service for those who think the police are shit. Please hold the line while we try to think of someone who cares enough about you to come out at 2am to resolve your problem.

If you have a mad axeman smashing his way into your house, press one.

If you are involved in a petty dispute with your neighbour because you don't like the way he once looked at you, press two.

If your 14 year old has stropped out of the house and gone missing for the tenth time this month and you can't be bothered to go and look for them but want someone else to, press three.

If you are calling because you've lost your expensive mobile phone but are pretending it's been stolen so as to get a crime number for your insurance claim, press four.

For all other enquiries, please hold the line.
[pause]
We are sorry, but we have been unable to find anyone willing to resolve your problems at this time. Should you change your mind and now wish to speak with the police, please replace the handset and dial 999. Thank you for calling 888"

It's great that there is a police force to keep order, edna. However, you of all people must agree that when you give most blokes a uniform it's 'instant f***ing wanker'.

On top of that, I recently called 999 as a chav was smashing a phone-box off Palmeira Sq, and was referred to a dispatcher - who oddly and suddenly couldn't hear me once I told them what was going on. I realised, of course, that they just couldn't be bothered, it was too common and minor for the ob on a weekend night.

I once got pulled off a last train because there were no seats, and I was cheerful, and these pratt coppers were watching me like I was a hoolie. When I waved at them staring in on me, they slung me off the train! Perhaps I should have driven home tipsy for their benefit, but when I argued the point they arrested me - in court the _c**t in uniform_ claimed I was shouting obscenities at the top of my voice, lying c**t as well as a stupid one.

I once chased a jewel thief through the lanes, busting out of a shop dripping with rings and bracelets and stuff - when we ran right into the domain of a copper helping old bints onto a coach, I stopped chasing to recruit him - and he wandered slowly across the Pav gardens claiming the thief was def. going to stop for a shit!

Bloody useless, our police are 'supposed' to be the best in the world but the plod are a proper shambles as a 'force' if you ask me.

Black N Tan said:
If you are describing your own colleagues I obviously cannot comment as I don't know them. I am simply stating from my own experences if you are a victim of crime or you witness a crime don't make any plans for the next 48 hours as this is usually the length of time they leave it before attending just so as to be sure it's safe. When they do arrive they are masters at agreeing sympatheticlally with everything you have to say before clearing off and doing absolutely nothing.

Thanks for reminding me;
When me and slooow Mr P l o d got through looking down the Pavilion Garden bogs, I got taken in for questioning and there went my nice quiet saturday stroll, and the rest of the afternoon explaining that I was actually NOT one of two jewel thieves running through the Lanes, and that I was trying to do the right thing.

To top it all, the son of that same jewelers tried chatting my girlfriend of the time up, and was boasting about his family jeweler business in a wine-bar. When she told him her relation to me, and that it was her boyfriend who chased said thief, he exclaimed that there was a substantial reward on its' way to me.....which of course never happened.
I'll BET the fat twat who asked me to "stop thief" (but made no effort himself) claimed millions on his insurance afterwards anyway.

Next time I'd just follow the thief and pick up everything he was dropping in his flight, and do the right thing - disappear with a pocket full of gold.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Black N Tan said:
Try not to analyse everyone, I take my name from a drink I enjoy, Guinness and Bitter

And using a name for it which no self-respecting barman in the country that actually makes Guinness would actually serve it to you under.

You either need to find a Polish barman (have to keep the tone of the thread down don't I :jester:) or call it a "half and half". You'll be understood, not ignored like the 'other' name...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here