Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At last England are playing as a TEAM...

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
...not just 11 individuals.

Realisation at last, you don't have to pick players because they are big names. You pick the best player for a certain role within the team. To dial a cliche, round pegs in round holes.

Simples.

Now watch us win the Euros.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I wish I could share your optimism, but I believe Gerrard will be straight back in the side (alongside Lampard) the moment he gets a few games under his belt for Liverpool, and we will back to the same depressing cycle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Realisation at last, you don't have to pick players because they are big names. You pick the best player for a certain role within the team. To dial a cliche, round pegs in round holes.

Simples.

Also, we were playing BRILLIANTLY before the World Cup, so why will this time be any different?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wish I could share your optimism, but I believe Gerrard will be straight back in the side (alongside Lampard) the moment he gets a few games under his belt for Liverpool, and we will back to the same depressing cycle.
I'm afraid this is likely to be the case.

We can win without Rooney and Gerrard in the side, both of whom can be utter liabilities at the highest level. Time to play the less talented but more intelligent replacements, IMO.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Also, we were playing BRILLIANTLY before the World Cup, so why will this time be any different?

Were we ? we qualified well like we often do. I remember plenty of average performances and a few boring friendlies. The pre world cup warm up games were disastrous.

Euro 96 / Germany away / Argentina a couple of times / few performances in 1990 . Aside from that , their cant be many BRILLIANT performances at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Playing BRILLIANTLY is a bit of a hyperbole when you remember that we were playing Belarus, Ukraine, Croatia, Andorra and Kazakhstan. As soon as we came up against a semi reasonable team like the USA or Algeria we reverted to being shit.

Anyway enough of that, having not watched England since the WC are you telling me that we are worth watching again?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with most comments on this thread. But as the lad Mello points out, we qualified faultlessly for the WC last yr (we were already qualified when we lost 1-0 with ten men to Ukraine i think it was).

Great to see England performing well though and the youngsters that have come in doing well. Glad I was watching with interest and not boycotting because i don't think the team are good enough :lol:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I was really pleased with the performance against Spain, less so last night. But to get carried away and think all is sorted is rather naive. There is still a lot of players who weren't available that will most likely be guaranteed slots at the Euros. A lot of work still to be done and unfortunately between now and the summer is not enough to do it all.

Was really disappointed to hear Michael Owen on the radio yesterday say that after Spain we are one of the next best teams. We really need to reign in these expectations as they will continue to hinder the players involved.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyway enough of that, having not watched England since the WC are you telling me that we are worth watching again?

Don't get me started again Icy :tantrum::lolol:

I've watched a fairly shit Brighton for yrs but i stuck it out and now the good times are rolling... :ascarf::thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Playing BRILLIANTLY is a bit of a hyperbole when you remember that we were playing Belarus, Ukraine, Croatia, Andorra and Kazakhstan. As soon as we came up against a semi reasonable team like the USA or Algeria we reverted to being shit.

The only other teams who qualified as comfortably as us - Holland and Spain. Where did they end up? Shows that it can carry on into the tournament.

I'd put Ukraine and Croatia as better than Algeria and Slovenia, which is why it makes even LESS sense.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The only other teams who qualified as comfortably as us - Holland and Spain. Where did they end up? Shows that it can carry on into the tournament.

I'd put Ukraine and Croatia as better than Algeria and Slovenia, which is why it makes even LESS sense.

Correct.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with most comments on this thread. But as the lad Mello points out, we qualified faultlessly for the WC last yr (we were already qualified when we lost 1-0 with ten men to Ukraine i think it was).

Great to see England performing well though and the youngsters that have come in doing well. Glad I was watching with interest and not boycotting because i don't think the team are good enough :lol:

I made the mistake of being on here during the Spain game mate, could've done with your help. Even when we were winning and working our arses off it was "f**king woeful" this and "hoofball" that. I reckon I could've got a ban for saying something to Herr Tubthumper, but I just about reined myself in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't get me started again Icy :tantrum::lolol:

I've watched a fairly shit Brighton for yrs but i stuck it out and now the good times are rolling... :ascarf::thumbsup:

Not gonna get involved in a slanging match on this again but the day Brighton players stroll around not giving a shit and playing billy big bollocks, I'll stop watching them too. I can take the team I support being shit but I can't take them not giving a shit. :smile:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I made the mistake of being on here during the Spain game mate, could've done with your help. Even when we were winning and working our arses of it was "f**king woeful" this and "hoofball" that. I reckon I could've got a ban for saying something to Herr Tubthumper, but I just about reined myself in.

Must admit it's strange on here cos the ones who are particularly negative about England are many of the same posters who i really respect and tend to agree with on here re the Albion. Maybe it's a generation thing ie they've seen us f*** up a lot more than we have etc. But to me reaching the 1/4 finals of major tournos isn't bad. I do tend to not even open England threads on here - but this one seemed positive!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not gonna get involved in a slanging match on this again but the day Brighton players stroll around not giving a shit and playing billy big bollocks, I'll stop watching them too. I can take the team I support being shit but I can't take them not giving a shit. :smile:

Oh i agree mate I wouldn't want to see that. There certainly hasn't been any of that the last 2 Eng games. Point excepted tho - and no slanging match, you're a poster i agree with a lot re the albion as i said above!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Must admit it's strange on here cos the ones who are particularly negative about England are many of the same posters who i really respect and tend to agree with on here re the Albion. Maybe it's a generation thing ie they've seen us f*** up a lot more than we have etc. But to me reaching the 1/4 finals of major tournos isn't bad. I do tend to not even open England threads on here - but this one seemed positive!

We're generally one of the best 8 teams in the world, so quarters is usually our level. Simple as that. Don't see the need for the massive negativity when realistically we generally hit our level.

It is for exactly this reason that promotion to the Premiership is the last thing I want to see, as bizarre as that seems.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Simples.

I confidently predict that this XI will NEVER take the field again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here