Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At last England are playing as a TEAM...

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Analysis of some of last nights player roles:

Jones (Midfield): win the ball/break up play, pass the ball, stay back, cover the defence
Barry (Midfield): win ball, forage forward as and when
Rodell (Midfield): as Barry

Zamora (attack): win ball, hold it up, bring wide players into attack

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Pretty happy after the two friendlies, loads of positives...against Spain we had excellent performances from Jagielka, Lescott and Parker, I thought that they were well led by Lampard. The team avoided getting stuck into the Spanish when things started to heat up a bit, a level of discipline that we have forgotten to expect when an England team take to the field. The big question was probably whether we could manage without the likes of Gerrard, Ferdinand and Terry, I think the answer has to be a resounding yes. OK, so it wasn't quite as pretty against Sweden, with a little more decisiveness in front of goal we could have been out of sight by half-time, it was a pleasure to see Bobby on the pitch and I thought he had a good game without being meteoric. In both games Walcott played well and seems to have ditched the run at the opposition at high speed then lose the ball approach, he seemed to have adopted a far more considered tactic, holding the ball up on occasion until a decent pass became an option.

I am somewhat reassured that we have a good crop of younger players in and around the squad. We must be prepared to do what the Germans have done in the past following failure at a World Cup and give them their chance, I don't think we will be disappointed.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The thing is, we know an England team with Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand (if fit), etc won't win anything. One can argue about their relative merits as players, but as a unit they haven't got what it takes as they've proved time and time again. We know it, they know it, the French, Germans, Italians etc know it. When you see those names on the teamsheet there is that air of inevitability, that feeling of "here we go again". At least with the younger and/or untried players we don't know what's going to happen - but whatever it is it won't be any worse than an England team composed of the so-called 'best' players.

One could almost argue that once a player becomes an established England international then it's time to drop them! That's obviously too extreme, but watching England it always seems to me that's it's the established ones who disappoint, who don't reproduce their club form, and the it's the younger ones (yes, perhaps angling after a big-money move or a lucrative contract extension) who play above what you'd expect.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm really suprised at the lack of enthusiasm most journalists are showing for Bobby Z's performace. Perhaps I'm wearing my blue and white stripe tinted spectacles, but I'm pretty sure that EVERY single one of our chances came from Bobby Z winning the ball and bringing the midfield and wingers into play. When he went off and it was Bent and Sturridge we suffered, because we had no one to get hold of the ball and hold it up for players to get forward and Sweden had their best period in the game. This is much the same problem we currently have at BHA and Billy Paynter doesn't yet seem capable of playing that role.

Based on the performances I've seen over the two friendlies and with one or two to come back I'd love to see this sort of team lining up for the Euros... Zamora wining the ball and laying it off for Rooney, Young and Walcott to wreak havoc!

..................... Hart .....................

Walker ..... Jones ..... Cahill ..... Cole

............. Parker .... Willshire ..........

Walcott ........ Rooney ......... Young

................... Zamora ..................

Bench: Carson, Jagielka, Smalling, Gerrard, Rodwell, Johnson, Bent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here