Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Our football is so good, but we just don't have anyone in the area who can finish it off.

Our best chance of scoring is corners, penalties or a stroke of luck.

This is going to be the story of our season... again.

You are right about our football, we are great to watch, our patterns of play are wonderful. Anyone who says we were shit today didn’t watch the game properly, we played them off the park at times. Clearly we are missing a cutting edge massively though and with both Gross and Moder playing, we were slow in transition at times.

I disagree about corners though, we don’t look threatening from them ever. Please can Gross never take one again?! In fact, please can he not start for us again.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
From watching most of the first half, then listening to the rest, it did seem to have 0-0 written all over it.

Disappointing to come away with nothing.

From watching all of it on TV I thought we would be lucky to scrape a 0-0 draw because we never looked like scoring and if we went behind we would loose- we had two 'decent' shots but neither was a real strong convincing shout.

We have no player who could do what what Watkins did and just take control , note he should have been taken out earlier before he got the shot away..

Newcastle, Villa and next week Leeds are the sort of games that determine what sort of team you are and where you finish and we have so far failed the test.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Our football is so good, but we just don't create any decent chances.

Our best chance of scoring is corners, penalties or a stroke of luck.

This is going to be the story of our season... again.

Corrected for you.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I wonder how the club will defend our lack of striker now? No win in 7 is it? No striker selected in the starting XI for the last 3 games?
Pay me a 10th of their wages and I'll put in more of a shift and show more fight. Characterless performance in the second half.

GP seems to prefer to not start with one which is his choice. If Maupay is disgruntled then maybe thats part of the reason behind it.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Taking off Cucerella was mystifying. It was obvious Lamptey would get subbed as well so Potter left us with zero pace out wide and completely took away what was looking like our only way to create any real chances.

Why didn’t he do a March for Lamptey swap as he’s played Solly that side plenty of times? Pascal is hopeless out there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gross was anonymous, if he wasn't taking corners I wouldn't have known he was on the pitch. Likewise Lallana, the invisible man. Biss and Moder put a shift in, as did Lamptey and Cucurella but it must be so disheartening when they look up and see nobody in the box.

We are the very definition of toothless.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well it was a bit predictable result wise, and to be honest it was a classic GP performance - the better of the two teams on the day but ultimately the losing one... it’s frustrating in the extreme. We talk about learning yet seem fairly resistant to showing the related improved outcome.

That said, this was kind of written, it being a classic new manager result/performance... I think it’s pretty obvious we need to get back to basics and go at Leeds with a proper striker on the pitch from the get-go.

It’s not all bad, but it’s far from great right now... over to GP to do his job - plain and simple.

Last edited:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I can't imagine what MacAllister is doing in training so that he's not picked to start sometimes ��*��,?

I really like Mac but his performance against Newcastle was awful so he had hardly played himself in.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just seems madness to leave your top scorer out whether you love or loathe him and leave yourself toothless upfront. We are not M Shitty with a plethora of goalscoring midfielders who can chip in when you play without a recognised striker.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We all knew we weren't convincing in the games we won at the start of the season, but we took them nonetheless (of course), thinking well if we're winning while not playing great then the form will naturally come. That turned out well!

Just really disappointed that we appear so far to have gone backwards from last season. So slow, ponderous, creating so little - and still not scoring. At least last season we were exciting to watch.

Having said that, when we want to we can still turn it on and play blindingly, like Liverpool away second half. So bloody frustrating!

12 games in, performance highlights for me were:

Watford
Leicester
Liverpool second half
City second half (after a shocking first half)
Arsenal
Brentford second half
Burnley second half
Last 15 seconds at Smellhurst

The time equivalent of 5 great games.

The rest has been so forgettable, some of it bloody awful eg at CP.

Personally not enjoying this one bit, so dull, so predictable.

Thank fck for Lewis Hamilton, England rugby and a load of interests.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes.

This happens after every defeat/disappointing draw.

Fans overreact and exaggerate. It wasn't a bad performance. In fact we were probably the better team. Difference was they had Watkins who could finish their half chance and we have... literally no one to do the same for us.

Anyone who declares we were rubbish is clueless. Up until their first goal which was a great counter attack and finish we bossed the game BUT critically did not create one clear chance in that second half. Until they scored we would have accepted a 0-0 and whilst we still would have grumbled about no cutting edge we would have happily taken the point. The 2-0 score line flatters them big time.

The old story is that all the possession in the world counts for nothing unless you create chances and convert them. He may be our best finisher Trossard looks too isolated.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
You just see it so often. Gross, March or whoever in a decent position on the wing and within seconds the ball is at our end of the pitch either by choice or a blistering counter attack.

We need more quality. We need to move the ball quicker. We need someone in the box to finish chances.

It comes down to the same old, same old ..... the need for a target man. If we put crosses into the box from our wingbacks the ball is meet with either a 5 foot 7 Trossard or nobody. A player in the guise of Woods from Burnley only younger and cheaper for January.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I really like Mac but his performance against Newcastle was awful so he had hardly played himself in.

Well...you are right. After a poor defeat I clutch at straws of who might have played and performed better ��.. I'm running out of options recently!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For all our possession, all our passes, all our patient build-up, I struggle to think of more than a couple of clear chances we created. It’s like we have a team that can play 80% of the game brilliantly, but not the bit that really matters.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Just be grateful you don’t live up here and have to deal with Villa fans on Monday morning :facepalm:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
12 games in, performance highlights for me were:

Watford
Leicester
Liverpool second half
City second half a shocking first half
Arsenal
Brentford second half
Burnley second half
Last 15 seconds at Smellhurst

The time equivalent of 5 great games.

The rest has been so forgettable, some of it bloody awful eg at CP.

Personally not enjoying this one bit, so dull, so predictable.

Thank fck for Lewis Hamilton, England rugby and a load of interests.

Just spare a though for those of us who couldn’t give a monkey’s about Lewis Hamilton or English Rugby.

At least Manure lost……. 4-1!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Anyone who declares we were rubbish is clueless. Up until their first goal which was a great counter attack and finish we bossed the game BUT critically did not create one clear chance in that second half. Until they scored we would have accepted a 0-0 and whilst we still would have grumbled about no cutting edge we would have happily taken the point. The 2-0 score line flatters them big time.

The old story is that all the possession in the world counts for nothing unless you create chances and convert them. He may be our best finisher Trossard looks too isolated.

This ^

Trossard can't be expected to do 'everything', but that's what he seems to be left doing.
They certainly didn't deserve that win, but by God, we gave it to them, having had so much of the game.
Getting to be the same old pattern (as mentioned many times, in previous comments), and I wonder what it will take to stop the rot.
Thing is, we are SO much better than this - what keeps going wrong?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Well...you are right. After a poor defeat I clutch at straws of who might have played and performed better ��.. I'm running out of options recently!

For me Biss and Lamps were the standouts. The rest were pretty mediocre. I agree that we cannot start Lallana, Gross and Moder as their lack of pace is killing us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I have a question... What does Gross's right arm signal mean when he takes corners?

He took seven corners today, and each time did the same signal - right arm in the air. The crosses went to the penalty spot, near post, far post... and the signal was identical!

What on earth does it mean? Does Pascal even know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here