Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I have a question... What does Gross's right arm signal mean when he takes corners?

He took seven corners today, and each time did the same signal - right arm in the air. The crosses went to the penalty spot, near post, far post... and the signal was identical!

What on earth does it mean? Does Pascal even know?

It’s to fool the opposition into thinking he knows what he is doing,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well it was a bit predictable result wise, and to be honest it was a classic GP performance - the better of the two teams on the day but ultimately the losing one... it’s frustrating in the extreme. We talk about learning yet seem fairly resistant to showing the related improved outcome.

That said, this was kind of written, it being a classic new manager result/performance... I think it’s pretty obvious we need to get back to basics and go at Leeds with a proper striker on the pitch from the get-go.

It’s not all bad, but it’s far from great right now... over to GP to do his job - plain and simple.

Were we better - having lots of possession because we pass it around the back does not make us better. Understand that it can pull opposition out of position but the key part is to see when they are and hit teh killer pass, not then hit it to midfield and receive it back. LAMPTEY Cucurella took responsibility everyone else (other than Biss) just took their time.

We are still in top half of the table so let's not forget that but lets also not forget we are slipping down and whilst we are not in threat of relegation perhaps take some opportunities to see what our attacking options are e.g, Sarmiento
etop

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I have a question... What does Gross's right arm signal mean when he takes corners?

He took seven corners today, and each time did the same signal - right arm in the air. The crosses went to the penalty spot, near post, far post... and the signal was identical!

It means "I don't know where this is going "

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone bemoaning getting away from the Amex at full time should really get the full Villa Park experience. City centre(ish) grounds ain't always the better option

Always a shite stadium to escape from.

But it’s 3 miles from the centre.

In my experience, true city centre stadia such as SJP and Molyneux are better, with just a stroll to the main train station etc, roads radially leading in all directions.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I really like Mac but his performance against Newcastle was awful so he had hardly played himself in.

He hardly gets a run of games though, does he? Let alone starts! His lack of opportunities looks to have cost him his place in the Agentina team too, at least for the time being.

If we're not careful he'll be wanting away soon - and that would be a tremendous waste both of opportunities and the considerable amout of money we've invested. That would be a shame.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This ^

Trossard can't be expected to do 'everything', but that's what he seems to be left doing.
They certainly didn't deserve that win, but by God, we gave it to them, having had so much of the game.
Getting to be the same old pattern (as mentioned many times, in previous comments), and I wonder what it will take to stop the rot.
Thing is, we are SO much better than this - what keeps going wrong?

- A defence that can be mugged on the counter. Even awful Norwich and Newcastle teams tore us apart on the second half counter. What’s all that about? Why does GP set us up late in games when we’re not losing, so that Wilson, Pukki and Watkins have space to run into?

- No goals in the team.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

We are due heavy punishment for not recruiting properly upfront.
It's entirely possible we could lose a long string of games.
The signs are there and the players look ready for it.
And once you start sliding down the Premier League it's hard to stop.

Nah, we started with like you say the rub of the green, but there was no way we could keep that up all season without that goal man. We are a 17th based team without a striker an above 10th with one, IMO.

Not at all worried, we are still very hard to beat, which is a joy to say, ask all the top managers, they hate playing us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

It must mean " this could end up anywhere " based on the narrative you describe

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

'lucky dip'

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Anyone who declares we were rubbish is clueless. Up until their first goal which was a great counter attack and finish we bossed the game BUT critically did not create one clear chance in that second half. Until they scored we would have accepted a 0-0 and whilst we still would have grumbled about no cutting edge we would have happily taken the point. The 2-0 score line flatters them big time.

The old story is that all the possession in the world counts for nothing unless you create chances and convert them. He may be our best finisher Trossard looks too isolated.

Sorry but having possession at the back does not mean you have bossed it , it means you have possession at the back. We did not 'boss' anything going forward and by your own admission we were toothless.

We had a few players working but not enough of them , Lalana & Gross were anonymous leaving Trossard to do too much . Biss was ok but not good by his standards. Two of our better players were subbed changing what little drive we had.

I would have been happy with 0-0 cause we did not look like scoring not because I would be happy with that result.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Has anybody seen a game like that where dominated possession but never looked like scoring

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Nah, we started with like you say the rub of the green, but there was no way we could keep that up all season without that goal man. We are a 17th based team without a striker an above 10th with one, IMO.

Not at all worried, we are still very hard to beat, which is a joy to say, ask all the top managers, they hate playing us.

We are easy to beat when teams realise all you have to do is score once . There are only 3 top teams its the rest that are the issue.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Sorry but having possession at the back does not mean you have bossed it , it means you have possession at the back. We did not 'boss' anything going forward and by your own admission we were toothless.

We had a few players working but not enough of them , Lalana & Gross were anonymous leaving Trossard to do too much . Biss was ok but not good by his standards. Two of our better players were subbed changing what little drive we had.

I would have been happy with 0-0 cause we did not look like scoring not because I would be happy with that result.

Absolutely.
You have not 'bossed' a game if you have barely created anything and not tested the keeper.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Lallana and Gross are probably the slowest central midfield pairing in the top two divisions. There is just no way either of them could bust a gut to support Trossard. Either play one or the other and play someone who has the energy to go box to box

theboybilly

Always a shite stadium to escape from.

But it’s 3 miles from the centre.

In my experience, true city centre stadia such as SJP and Molyneux are better, with just a stroll to the main train station etc, roads radially leading in all directions.

75mins after the final whistle : total distance travelled = 0.5mls

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here