Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought the 1st was harsh as he was stopping them taking a quick free kick from the wrong place.
2nd was a bit naughty although Grealish wasn't really touched IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But he didn't even need to do the first one. It was on the halfway line and not a huge threat from a quick break. It wasn't even taking one for the team. It wasn't like they were trying to take it 10 yards further forward either, so can see why ref gave the yellow.

Second one was clumsy to my eyes rather than naughty. Again, I didn't think the yellow was particularly harsh.

All totally Mooy's fault for just silly decisions. But hey ho, shit happens, and it's no where near on the scale of Andone's horror show.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Propper shouldn’t have been a starter. Simple. Feel for alzate as he’s earned his starting spot. Seniority presides.

Yeah that.

What message does that send to the young players?

"Yeah you can play very well but as soon as that guy is fit you'll be dropped"
"but... but.... that doesn't seem fair"
"Yep, that's life bucko. Now, off to the bench with you"

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The reason people dont want to talk about this so called "elephant in the room" is because its ****ing stupid not being able to understand the circumstances, and most people arent that stupid. Its not a rule, its common sense.

What circumstance, we are relegation candidates who have just lost to a fellow relegation rival, again, pretty football doesn’t guarantee staying up.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be fair, the Villa goal that was ruled out, wouldn't have been in the last 100 years. So that might have avoided the last minute heart break.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Looking at that last goal again. Why does Gross go to the ball?? Even worse, Ryan seems to kind of turn the wrong way/turn his back. If he just stood there and put his left arm up he might have saved it. So gutting.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On the plus side spence is banned until after Everton, so we won't have to suffer his relentless negativity tonight.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Looking at that last goal again. Why does Gross go to the ball?? Even worse, Ryan seems to kind of turn the wrong way/turn his back. If he just stood there and put his left arm up he might have saved it. So gutting.

Ryan was poor on that. Made himself smaller rather than bigger.....

However played really well today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We’re going to need a lot more red cards to thwart Potterball I think. This was turning into another Potterball 3-0 special until Mooy retired red. Only Chelsea and Man City have given us a good seeing to this season. Teams like Southampton & Villa can’t rely on us going down to 10 men in each game we play - we’ll start clearing up the points soon.

This. And even in the City game we played well.

I love how we’re playing this season and go into each game confident we’re going to play well and get a result. I dreaded most games last season as I knew we would be poor to watch, try and keep a clean sheet and hope Murray nicked a goal.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Yeah that.

What message does that send to the young players?

"Yeah you can play very well but as soon as that guy is fit you'll be dropped"
"but... but.... that doesn't seem fair"
"Yep, that's life bucko. Now, off to the bench with you"

Agree with this. Not a fan of Propper but he was worse than usual. Complete liability. Alzate and Stephens by far a better pairing!

D

Deleted member 2719

Without Grealish, Villa would be relegation certs - they're just as much of a one-man team as Zaha FC.

I agree I felt we were a bit like that with Bobby Z in the Championship.

The positive is, we are not a one-man team, so long term we should be fine and entertaining too boot!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Villa were terrible but will stay up as they have the refs and premier league in their pocket. They are a more marketable team you see.

Unless I've been whoosed....

I think Villa fans will disagree with you there regarding decisions. They seem to feel they've been more harshly treated as a result of Var than any other team in the league. On balance, I didn't think the ref or Var was particularly on their side today either.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Keep the faith. I would have put this away game down as a loss or at least a tough draw. The signs overall are much more positive than last season.

D

Deleted member 2719

Potter was praising the response from our supporters.

Well done boys and girls sounded like you lifted him and the team a tad considering the late goal.

:albion2::albion2::albion2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Biggest plus is how awful villa are. No way we'll finish below them this season.
We out-played them when we had 11 men, so maybe today wasn't one of their better performances, but can they be that awful if they beat Norwich 5-1 away?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Lol you are kidding right? Their first should have been ruled out but was inexplicably not. Every time grealish demanded a foul he got one. Multiple fouls on our players and nothing given.

What was wrong with their first goal? My stream was choppy, so perhaps I'll have to have another look.

Was it really a foul by them that led to our goal?

Their disallowed goal was correct, but probably would have stood without Var.

Anyway, the only decisions that really affected the game today in my opinion was Mooy's two yellow cards, and both were fully deserved unfortunately.

Grealish was the best player on the pitch today, as annoying as that is. He was literally everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here