Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We out-played them when we had 11 men, so maybe today wasn't one of their better performances, but can they be that awful if they beat Norwich 5-1 away?

I don't think it's a matter of how bad Villa are or how bad Norwich are. It's more a case of how good we are now. I'd rather judge us when we play with eleven men and today whilst we had that number of men on the pitch, we looked phenomenal. We were completely outclassing Villa. It looked like a top 4 club dominating whoever they usually dominate. We looked as good as we did against Spurs.
I'm very confident this season. It's just a shame some fans can't see how good we now are because we've lost games with one less man or getting beat by a top 4 side.

We'd have won 3-0 today had Mooy used his brains.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
......... and to add insult to injury, that last minute winner cost some poor punter £250,000 on Sky Sports Super 6 too!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We out-played them when we had 11 men, so maybe today wasn't one of their better performances, but can they be that awful if they beat Norwich 5-1 away?

I'm puzzled about this Villa nailed on relegation talk. Same with Southampton. I don't think either side are as bad as some people seem to think they are.

Although allowing a team with 10 men for about 70 minutes to be well in the game, even though you're at home, is pretty shite tbf :lol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We’re going to need a lot more red cards to thwart Potterball I think. This was turning into another Potterball 3-0 special until Mooy retired red. Only Chelsea and Man City have given us a good seeing to this season. Teams like Southampton & Villa can’t rely on us going down to 10 men in each game we play - we’ll start clearing up the points soon.

I’m of the same opinion. Last season, it was really only home games against non-top-6 teams that we could go into a game hoping to get 3 points from. This season, I feel we have a decent chance in 26 out of our remaining 29 - the free hits being City and Liverpool home and away.

Slight concern that we’ve suffered two first half reds in 9 games, as well as Duffy and getting a red against Palace 10 months ago and the first half red against Cardiff last November. Red cards happen to all teams, but that stat needs addressing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9108876]Their first goal WAS ruled out, almost inexplicably, for the softest of touches on Ryan. They could easily have had a couple of pens too. I think you're wearing blue tinted specs I'm afraid.

Nothing soft about an arm across his face, preventing him getting maximum spring.

Don’t disagree on the pens though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm puzzled about this Villa nailed on relegation talk. Same with Southampton. I don't think either side are as bad as some people seem to think they are.

Although allowing a team with 10 men for about 70 minutes to be well in the game, even though you're at home, is pretty shite tbf :lol:

There were a load of arrogant posters in the summer who said Villa were nailed on for relegation, that the £120m spending spree was wasted and they laughed at what a rubbish player Mings was. Over and over again.

Based on?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I watched the game if Mooy had not kicked the ball away for the first stupid booking I think we would have won comfortably, lack of concentration at the very end cost us a point but to be fair the boys did fabulously with only ten men for most of the game I think we have turned the corner and better results will follow

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Propper shouldn’t have been a starter. Simple. Feel for alzate as he’s earned his starting spot. Seniority presides.

That's not necessarily a given with Potter at the helm. Connolly is already now a starter and Alzate could well join him in the near future. Propper has to perform regularly if he wants to keep that place. Let's see what our starting line up is against Everton.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Disagree- Saints n Villa both relegation candidates- poor teams imo

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You mean Propper, brought into the side today to do this job?!! :annoyed:

He did his job, but wasn't quite 90 % . . .just a bit ring rusty . . . not that he really had a BAD game, but wasn't good enough against a kaniving git like Grealish, who was playing at his best ( probably I don't actually know what his best is, but he was better than anything we had man for man)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After half an hour I was so confident of winning it was just by how many
I was watching too. Not sure we can write off Villa as shit though, just as I won't write off Spurs based on how well we did against them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was watching too. Not sure we can write off Villa as shit though, just as I won't write off Spurs based on how well we did against them.

Not writing them off, we were just so good until Mooy ruined our day today, had he been on the pitch all game we would have won comfortably today

What's up with Solly, was he unwell or something, he just didn't look interested and didn't look like he knew what he was supposed to be doing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Andone had a discipline problem. The team doesn't.

Potter gets his Albion side to constantly press. Cards are inevitable symptom of this. Montoya should have probably been sent off today too, as he made a challenge that warranted a yellow card whilst already on one.

Monty was lucky, rightfully subbed before he was made to march, Solly March got booked for being a ****, Like Mooy's first booking, Stephens was superb, If anything I'd have been happier if he'd put a stud through Grealish to curb his enthusiasm . . .although possibly not !

I agree Discipline isn't a club/team problem, but it is having a marked effect on our season already. 6 points dropped when we should have had at least 2, if not deserved 6.

fine margins.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not writing them off, we were just so good until Mooy ruined our day today, had he been on the pitch all game we would have won comfortably today

What's up with Solly, was he unwell or something, he just didn't look interested and didn't look like he knew what he was supposed to be doing.

I think the defensive brainwashing has affected him far more than most of the players . . . . In his head, when he goes over the halfway line the oxygen stops . . . . so he slowly loses the ability to think positively.

By the time he gets to the 18 yard line he's like a 4 week old puppy with a tennis ball.

see his 'inch perfect' pass to Stephens, of all people, for proof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here