Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa - a call to arms

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is it bollocks 'one of the most quiet 20k plus stadiums in europe'. Atmosphere hasn't been great lately but atmospheres are average at best everywhere pretty much. Says something about the atmosphere at football in the UK when selhurst is seen in the media as raucous, when it is literally 100 ultras with a drum droning on. And I was chatting to some Germans after a game recently who actually really enjoyed the atmosphere as it was different to Germany - people got much more into and reacted to what's going on on the pitch, in their opinion. So really, atmosphere is just different here to your ultra culture elsewhere anyway.

Yeah the atmosphere could be better still but I take offence at someone who watches on a stream saying it's quietest in Europe ffs, and it's certainly in no way 'closer to moaning than cheering'.

And as for the 'vast majority that visit the amex are new to this and dont understand supporter culture and dont come as supporters of BHA'... Sorry but that's absolute crap.

Bang on. You’re well off there [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]. Amex was comfortably top 6 atmo in the championship and I’d say is similar level in the prem. I don’t know of any really loud grounds - English atmospheres are different to Europe ( unless you’re one of the 50 virgins with a drum form Surrey Croydon)

I agree the Amex atmo hasn’t been as good this season than previous years but I’m sure it’ll come back stronger!

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Would Swansman (and I know he is not welsh) consider The Amex a step down in atmosphere to Swanseas ground? Not having a go just interested in his opinion.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody has actually said the quote and rightly pointed out Naylor is up to his old tricks. Click bait. Criticise the fans to annoy them in the twitter post to spread fake news and unrest - and mainly to subscribe to his articles. ****!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Be interesting to see what would happen if we kicked towards the North First half and really took it to them From the off on Saturday. If that wouldn’t work then I’m not sure what would.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would Swansman (and I know he is not welsh) consider The Amex a step down in atmosphere to Swanseas ground? Not having a go just interested in his opinion.

I can only judge from tv & streams, and as both myself and others pointed out... its hard to get a fair picture, but I would say the Swansea fans generally seemed a bit louder. But I have no idea what they sounded like when in the Premier League, and last season a lot of fans wrote that the atmosphere was actually better than it had been in the PL, possibly because the type of fans who were perhaps more interested in the Premier League than in Swansea stayed home once they got relegated.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Admittedly I’ve not been there. But having seen lots of games on the tv from there and watched the Amex on tv lots id say the Amex is way, way louder. And there’s more fans - lots of gaps in the championship at Swansea - we had way more in the championship and our ground is bigger.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What has Potter actually said or is it just the usual Naylor clickbait digs at the fans?

Bit clickbaity really. Potter is alluding to the audible groans when there is a backwards pass or misplaced pass and saying to us fans we need to be a little more patient.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bit clickbaity really. Potter is sliding to the audible groans when there is a backwards pass or misplaced pass and saying to us fans we need to be a little more patient.

Which is nothing to do with the atmo - and a very fair comment at the muppets who do this who really don’t understand possession football!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Bit clickbaity really. Potter is sliding to the audible groans when there is a backwards pass or misplaced pass and saying to us fans we need to be a little more patient.

Its a catch 22 though. The first half against Chelsea we were dire and there were a lot of groans and mutters but then he changed it up at half time with Biss off and Connolly on and we were more dynamic and pressing forward and then the groans died out and the fans got behind the team. It is hard not to groan at the 50th backpass inside the first 10 mins or Stephen's 10th mis-placed pass that allows Willian in on goal (slight exageration but you get what I mean...)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I gave his article the negative 'yellow face' rating - the only one I have ever given.

Going to football is expensive, but I go to have fun. Not to be subjected to some blanket criticism, and kill joy assessment.

Naylor is always at his worst when he moves onto this sort of subject.

Yep.

burneraccount

Jan 13, 2020
I have a ticket for this (North Stand N1F Front Row) which I won't be able to use any more due to train disruptions. Is there a ticket reselling service or anywhere to prevent it going to waste?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have a ticket for this (North Stand N1F Front Row) which I won't be able to use any more due to train disruptions. Is there a ticket reselling service or anywhere to prevent it going to waste?

If you bought the ticket as a one-off match ticket then, no, there is no resale option.

If you try to sell the ticket anywhere and the club see, they will attempt to trace you and will ban you from future purchases for a period of time.

If this is your season ticket, you can use the resale facility on the club ticketing site.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This could easily be its own giant thread...

Risky stuff from GP, could get the fans against him.

Hard for me to say a lot since I'm watching the games on stream, but from what I can hear and see its one of the most quiet 20k+ stadiums in Europe and seemingly closer to moaning than to cheering.

The guy I quoted earlier in the thread sums up what seems the be the attitude. He said something about that the team should go out and inspire the fans. In many fan bases however, the attitude is the opposite: they feel that they as supporters should inspire the team.

Its pretty logical that it is like this though. I mean the die hard fans in here went to Gillingham and to Withdean and stuff, but realistically the vast majority that visits the AMEX are pretty new to this and might not understand typical supporter culture: they come to be spectators of entertainment rather than supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion.

Tony Bloom has shown he is eager to improve the club, Potter that he is eager to improve the team, and the players that they are eager to improve themselves - and I hope the supporters/spectators are equally eager to improve themselves as supporters.

Look, no problem coming here as a fan of Potter, and giving us your thoughts on his style and commenting on games and players and so on. But as a BHA fan of six months standing, do you mind not digging out our atmosphere and telling us all what kind of fans we are and pretending to act in any way knowledgeable about our fanbase and our history? Its condescending and arrogant.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Look, no problem coming here as a fan of Potter, and giving us your thoughts on his style and commenting on games and players and so on. But as a BHA fan of six months standing, do you mind not digging out our atmosphere and telling us all what kind of fans we are and pretending to act in any way knowledgeable about our fanbase and our history? Its condescending and arrogant.

I think I made it pretty clear in my post that I lack knowledge on the subject of the AMEX atmosphere and that my thoughts and theories were based on my limited impressions, and it was in direct response to what Potter seemingly indicated - I wouldnt have brought it up out of the blue.

Its true I am not very knowledgeable about your fanbase and history but I have some knowledge about gentrification and its effects, and moving from the lower leagues and suboptimal arenas to the Premier League and a fancy new stadium is a type of gentrification. That theory had more to do with the circumstances than Brighton in particular. To me it just made sense that once you moved to the AMEX, you might have gotten a influx of new supporters that wouldnt have set their foot at i.e. Withdean.

By throwing these pretty wild and, as said, non-factual, purely theoretical perspectives in the air, I got some good responses that increased my knowledge - wild suggestions a lot of times have that effect. I understand people could consider what I wrote offensive, but by from the beginning acknowledning my limited knowledge I think I stayed within some kind of limit. That said, I could and should have stayed quiet.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I think I made it pretty clear in my post that I lack knowledge on the subject of the AMEX atmosphere and that my thoughts and theories were based on my limited impressions, and it was in direct response to what Potter seemingly indicated - I wouldnt have brought it up out of the blue.

Its true I am not very knowledgeable about your fanbase and history but I have some knowledge about gentrification and its effects, and moving from the lower leagues and suboptimal arenas to the Premier League and a fancy new stadium is a type of gentrification. That theory had more to do with the circumstances than Brighton in particular. To me it just made sense that once you moved to the AMEX, you might have gotten a influx of new supporters that wouldnt have set their foot at i.e. Withdean.

By throwing these pretty wild and, as said, non-factual, purely theoretical perspectives in the air, I got some good responses that increased my knowledge - wild suggestions a lot of times have that effect. I understand people could consider what I wrote offensive, but by from the beginning acknowledning my limited knowledge I think I stayed within some kind of limit. That said, I could and should have stayed quiet.

Word salad. Some fancy words but there's literally no substance to what you've written.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Can we get this thread back on track? Is there any appetite amongst NSC to view this match as a vital one for which we should each play our part in making a special effort?

There is no doubt that, for whatever reason, The Amex atmosphere has gone downhill since the heady early days and promotion challenging seasons.

How good would it be to show Graham Potter what we Albion fans can really do at The Amex in terms of vocally supporting the team?

3.00pm kick off. Crucial and winnable match. Noisy away fans. It should all happen organically but don't die wondering. Arrange to have an extra beer or two if that works. Choose a positive attitude for the whole day - recognise what Potter said - you do play a part. Get behind the team and join in with more singing than of late.

It isn't tricky.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can we get this thread back on track? Is there any appetite amongst NSC to view this match as a vital one for which we should each play our part in making a special effort?

There is no doubt that, for whatever reason, The Amex atmosphere has gone downhill since the heady early days and promotion challenging seasons.

How good would it be to show Graham Potter what we Albion fans can really do at The Amex in terms of vocally supporting the team?

3.00pm kick off. Crucial and winnable match. Noisy away fans. It should all happen organically but don't die wondering. Arrange to have an extra beer or two if that works. Choose a positive attitude for the whole day - recognise what Potter said - you do play a part. Get behind the team and join in with more singing than of late.

It isn't tricky.

Agree with the extra couple pints. If everyone smashed but an extra 2 then that would help.

No inhibitions saturday , lets make it the best atmosphere of the season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I sit in the ESU and would get shushed if I tried to sing.
Joking aside but is that thought ever actually true anywhere in the stadium ever? Or is it just that inhibition so many of us feel that we will look stupid if we end up singing on our own before sheepishly having to tail off and sit down...? I have gone to matches for 40+ years. I usually have a few drinks and I will join in with every Albion chant that I possibly can but always WITHOUT RISKING THE EXTREME EMBARRASSMENT OF SINGING ON MY OWN...!! :smile:

Surely this is the key factor in atmosphere and the amount of supportive singing... have a few more beers and be a bit braver/more enthusiastic - others WILL join in (especially if you stick to the basics)

It can obviously make such a difference. I think our players would be a bit amazed by a noisily supportive Amex and it would really push them on to play well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here