Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Assulin Signs

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You are aware that Assulin, as a former Barca academy player and Man City youngster with a LOT of promise, will probably cost around £5 or £6 million?

Not so sure - he has never made the breakthrough with City, had a bad run with constant niggling injuries (sound familiar?) and the compensation to Barca was nearer the million mark I believe so not a lot of investment to recover relatively speaking. They have a massive squad and rumours of a clear out have been doing the rounds so we might be in with a real chance at or about the level of any deal we do to sell Nooney. Put it this way - it would not surprise me

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My cantonese mate tells me it means "chicken", "nine" and "penis". Depends how you pronounce it.

That's daft. Imagine the amount of misunderstandings.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not so sure - he has never made the breakthrough with City, had a bad run with constant niggling injuries (sound familiar?) and the compensation to Barca was nearer the million mark I believe so not a lot of investment to recover relatively speaking. They have a massive squad and rumours of a clear out have been doing the rounds so we might be in with a real chance at or about the level of any deal we do to sell Nooney. Put it this way - it would not surprise me

Hope you're right, just saying don't assume it'll be easy. Man City wouldn't have picked him up if they didn't think he was worth a look.

Craig Bellamy doesn't get a look in with City, do you think he costs £1 million? Emmanuel Adebayor anyone?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Man City wouldn't have picked him up if they didn't think he was worth a look.

Bloody hope you are right there :lol:

Seriously, big clubs are so wasteful of talent (Bridcutt for example?). Comparing players who have never made the breakthrough (Assulin played for Barca B not the A team and, unlike Razak, has never got near City's first team) with the Adebayor's and Bellamy's of this world who have proved themselves at the top level is just a bit daft. With the size of a top EPL club's squad and the pressure to turn over talent to bring in the latest "next big thing" they are very very careless of the casualties they dump along the way. Sometimes there are bargains to be picked up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloody hope you are right there :lol:

Seriously, big clubs are so wasteful of talent (Bridcutt for example?). Comparing players who have never made the breakthrough (Assulin played for Barca B not the A team and, unlike Razak, has never got near City's first team) with the Adebayor's and Bellamy's of this world who have proved themselves at the top level is just a bit daft. With the size of a top EPL club's squad and the pressure to turn over talent to bring in the latest "next big thing" they are very very careless of the casualties they dump along the way. Sometimes there are bargains to be picked up.

They're very young still. Assulin has a FANTASTIC pedigree. I just don't see them selling him for peanuts. They've got no reason to, when they could just continue to loan him out to raise his value.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://footballfraternity.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/manchester-city-sign-the-next-messi-gai-assulin/

Manchester City are reported to have clinched the signing of former Barcelona starlet Gai Assulin.

The 19-year-old Israel international – dubbed the ‘new Lionel Messi’ when he was coming through the ranks in Catalonia – is believed to be signing a four-year deal.

City were close to taking the midfielder in the summer but a knee injury delayed the deal.

Barcelona-based newspaper Sport reports that City are now satisfied with the youngster’s fitness and quality and will add him to their reserve squad.

Assulin underwent surgery on an injured knee last month. He visited Eastlands last week for a medical and was sent to a rehabilitation clinic to hasten his recovery. His Spanish citizenship means he will not need a work permit.

Assulin had been highly rated at the Nou Camp but saw chances diminish last season because of injury and the emergence of the likes of Pedro.

He was unable to reach agreement on a new contract and attracted wide interest once available on a free transfer.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
great to have a former Barca player on the books...oh how times have changed

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nine sounds more like 'dog' according to my cantonese mate!

the Cantonese words for dog and nine both sound like 'go' with the 'o' sounding like the 'o' in 'old'....

In other words, like saying 'gold' without the last two letters.

No idea about a word for 'penis' sounding similar, though :(

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Was it a signing completed as part of Albion's support of the Justin Campaign?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why do you keep signing wingers when it's clear you need CM's and better defenders????

You're right! Perhaps we'll try and sign some of your outstanding defenders like Dan Harding.

I'm joking of course: he is a terrible player and reduced us to tears of laughter at the Amex last month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here