Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asian players, why aren't there more of them ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Actually there was a guy who played for Orient in the 60s and 70s, Ricky Heppolite who was a good player. Believe it or not in those days Orient were not the crap team they are now.

Nov 3, 2003
"traditional sports of the Asian community are cricket and Hockey but as the vast majority of asians are fully intergrated to western society " :lolol: UTTER CR@P. intergrated like F*** are they when the Pakistanknee cricketers are over here on tour how come theyve such a large following only i dont see many getting off boats, planes and coming throught the channel tunnel for these games! i suggest to you the linesman was the same one that officiated last time and there is not in fact a sudden increases in Asians involvement in the football game after all as you state their tradition is other sports if they were fully intergrated (never :lolol: so much :lol: ) then why do we have so many no n tradtional and long standing ceremonial festivities unaccustomed to English and British culture of the tradional empire and in any case if they are of the standard of play of Zes Rehman they best stick to a smaller ball a white stick and a bail of hey what fun that sport is NOT!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
FG aka Football Genius. said:
"traditional sports of the Asian community are cricket and Hockey but as the vast majority of asians are fully intergrated to western society " :lolol: UTTER CR@P. intergrated like F*** are they when the Pakistanknee cricketers are over here on tour how come theyve such a large following only i dont see many getting off boats, planes and coming throught the channel tunnel for these games! i suggest to you the linesman was the same one that officiated last time and there is not in fact a sudden increases in Asians involvement in the football game after all as you state their tradition is other sports if they were fully intergrated (never :lolol: so much :lol: ) then why do we have so many no n tradtional and long standing ceremonial festivities unaccustomed to English and British culture of the tradional empire and in any case if they are of the standard of play of Zes Rehman they best stick to a smaller ball a white stick and a bail of hey what fun that sport is NOT!

Are you related to Enoch Powell ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
magoo said:

i would expect that now more and more asians are being born in uk they'll take to football like every other kid and you'll start seeing more and more asian players in the near future.

Er, point of order, 'asians born in the uk' are British as anybody else born in the UK. Apart from that, you're right tho. Same thing as with, say, Australian kids. Tho football's maybe not the traditional sport of their parents' generation, seems to be the ball game of choice of teenage kids from what I saw in me short time over there. Certainly more so than Aussie No-rules Football or the egg-chasing game.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Okay, people of Asian origin born in the UK, better ? I get your point though, I'd hate to upset the PC brigade.

In answer to FG, theoretically the above should be fully intergrated although he does have a point. It is strange how so many people can afford to travel from the Asian sub continent as well as the West Indies to follow their country's fortunes when they play in England.

Doesn't answer my question though.

bhaexpress said:
Okay, people of Asian origin born in the UK, better ? I get your point though, I'd hate to upset the PC brigade.

In answer to FG, theoretically the above should be fully intergrated although he does have a point. It is strange how so many people can afford to travel from the Asian sub continent as well as the West Indies to follow their country's fortunes when they play in England.

Doesn't answer my question though.

I think you know the answer to this already don't you, but trying to get a bite from the PC brigade you ridicule? Norman Tebbit asked the same stupid question some years ago. Do UK migrants who've lived in Australia for many years support the Aussies during the ashes series? Nope. The only difference....whereas the children of UK migrants tend to be fully fledged Aussies in culture and outlook, many "people of asian origin born in the UK" tend to have more of an afinity to their ancestral roots. The reasons for this could be debated forever......

I'm running a bit short of Bernard Manning jokes, so maybe you would care to read this:

EUROPE'S FIRST ASIAN FOOTBALL FESTIVAL
(Thursday 25 September 2003)
Liverpool hosts the first nationwide ethnic football tournament this weekend (Sept 25) with a grand send off from local legends John Barnes and Howard Gayle.

Sixty teams are taking part in the all day AsiaEurope Football Festival on Sunday and each team will have the opportunity to benefit from free coaching by Everton and Liverpool. Gayle, who played at Anfield in the 70's and Birmingham in the 80's, has submitted his own junior team - Stanley House FC - and Barnes will be there to present the trophies.

Barnes said: ''Britain is a multi-cultural society and football is our national sport. Yet there is still a desperate lack of ethnic people involved at the games top level be it players or administrators. I'm delighted to see people are trying to tackle this and create an environment where we can expect to see Asian and ethnic role models within the near future. This tournament has my full support and I wish it every success.''

The festival will showcase the best ethnic players in the UK and has already attracted the interest of scouts from every Premier League club as well as European giants Real Madrid.

Organisers have invited the winners of every mini-Asian tournament in the UK to compete for what will be the first recognised national trophy. The event is supported by UEFA, Kick Racism Out Campaign, the FA and Premier League, Liverpool city council as well as football clubs - Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City and United.

Festival Director Majid Lavji, said: ''We are still waiting for Asian Footballers to make the impact that black footballers have made since the early 70's. This festival is an ideal opportunity to open doors and we have been overwhelmed by the support we have received within the game, in Liverpool and from national bodies such as Sport England. The signs are very encouraging that the event will be a big success and hopefully lead to that breakthrough at the highest level of the game.''

Less than three months after launching the event the organisers have been inundated with help to expand ethnic participation in sport, such as establishing three regional under-16s football programmes in the North, Midlands and London with a Champions final in Liverpool next summer.

Also in the pipeline are:

· Sport England courses in coaching, managing and refereeing for ethnic minorities

· Tours to football grounds to give ethnic communities a look at behind the scenes running of a football club

· The establishing an Asian Cricket Festival in Liverpool

Liverpool city council is co-supporting the event, which will be held at the Heron Eccles playing field in the Allerton area of the city. The Tournament, which starts at 9.30am, will follow the format of heats in the morning and finals in the afternoon.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Tom Hark said:
Er, point of order, 'asians born in the uk' are British as anybody else born in the UK. Apart from that, you're right tho. Same thing as with, say, Australian kids. Tho football's maybe not the traditional sport of their parents' generation, seems to be the ball game of choice of teenage kids from what I saw in me short time over there. Certainly more so than Aussie No-rules Football or the egg-chasing game.

Being born in a country doesn't surely doesn't make you of that nationality?

My mum was born in Nairobi, that doesn't make her Kenyan.

Don't you take your parents nationality?

Nationality and culture are two seperate things. Most British Asians choose to accept British nationality but retain their Asian culture - good for them.

I try and do something similar as I have both a British and an Irish passport, which is culturally important to me as well as dead handy if you are a :jester: who is always losing important documents and stuff.

Everyone has their own version of cultural identity.

All eight of my great grandparents came from Northumberland or Durham. Both my parents were born on Tyneside. Does that make me a Geordie?

Go back a generation, and I turn out to be a quarter Irish and three-sixteenths Scottish. Does that stop me feeling English?

And I have a peculiar quirk of my own - I learned to play rugby when I lived in Wales and still follow that sport (but no other) with a red dragon sewn on to my chest.

The only thing I am certain about is that I will make up my own mind about these things. Norman Tebbit and FG will never succeed in getting me to hand over to them the responsibility for deciding who I am.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the full harris said:
this thread is shit.

Why ? Still, thanks for your stimulating contribution.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Lord Bracknell said:
The only thing I am certain about is that I will make up my own mind about these things. Norman Tebbit and FG will never succeed in getting me to hand over to them the responsibility for deciding who I am.

Tebbit should f**k off back to Belgium. Bloody moules munchers coming over here and stealing our bicycles...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here