Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asian players, why aren't there more of them ?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Harpal Singh and Zes Rehman and Jack Lester are all Asian or part Asian. There are some young players on club books also. County cricket is full of British Asians. Draw your own conclusions.

There aren't any players of Jewish origin but in the sixties there was Mark Lazarus, George Cohen and Len Julians.

Dandyman

In London village.
mona said:
There aren't any players of Jewish origin but in the sixties there was Mark Lazarus, George Cohen and Len Julians.

Eyal Berkovitz, Vinny Samways, David Beckham (Grandparent ?), Ben Cohen if you count Rugby Football...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was up visiting my poorly Grandma in Dewsbury last week and as the weather was good, out in the streets there were lots and lots of young Asians playing cricket, using a dustbin as a wicket and a tennis ball.

In my day, we all played footy in the street.

That is why Asians do not play football...they have no interest in it as they prefer cricket.

West Indian's however play football as well as cricket, although they are crap at cricket at the moment.

What are Adam El Abd's antecedents? Sounds an Egyptian name?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
London Irish said:
What are Adam El Abd's antecedents? Sounds an Egyptian name?
His dad is Egyptian.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hmm, fair points about players 'of ethnic origin' currently playing but the hardly reflect the demegraphic do they ? I wonder just how many players 'of ethnic origin' are discouraged by racism. I don't buy the cultural thing as for example, in the show business world there's no shortage of people 'of ethnic origin' who will for get naked for their art.

DTG has a point to a degree but the point about cricket being the point about Cricket being the main sport of people 'of ethnic origin' is not totally acccurate. Cricket only normally played in the Summer Term, what do these guys do in the Autumn and Spring terms ?

I wonder what incentives are being taken to encourage people 'of ethnic origin' to participate in what is our (and frankly most of the world's) national sport ?

It can only help IMHO.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
bhaexpress said:
Hmm, fair points about players 'of ethnic origin' currently playing but the hardly reflect the demegraphic do they ? I wonder just how many players 'of ethnic origin' are discouraged by racism. I don't buy the cultural thing as for example, in the show business world there's no shortage of people 'of ethnic origin' who will for get naked for their art.

DTG has a point to a degree but the point about cricket being the point about Cricket being the main sport of people 'of ethnic origin' is not totally acccurate. Cricket only normally played in the Summer Term, what do these guys do in the Autumn and Spring terms ?

I wonder what incentives are being taken to encourage people 'of ethnic origin' to participate in what is our (and frankly most of the world's) national sport ?

It can only help IMHO.

I would be interested to know how many scouts actually attend games in Southall, Tower Hamlets, Bradford, etc. I find it very hard to belive young Asian lads do not play football.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dandyman said:
I would be interested to know how many scouts actually attend games in Southall, Tower Hamlets, Bradford, etc. I find it very hard to belive young Asian lads do not play football.

Part of my point but well said.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
bhaexpress said:

It can only help IMHO.

oh you sanctamonious pc bore:yawn:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Why ? Still, thanks for your stimulating contribution.

because it has just provided some posters with an excuse to make rubbish racist jokes which have all heard before and weren't funny the first time.

Thanks for starting it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Clearly you with your own rather limited intelligence have rather missed the point. Actually, whether you agree with them or not Berks and all have made some sort of statement even if you don't agree with it.

Sadly, in you seem to have missed my point. I'm trying to make people aware of the cultural divide here,

This is a serious topic, why not make a valid point instead of trying to show how ignorant you are ?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Clearly you with your own rather limited intelligence have rather missed the point.

Thank you.

bhaexpress said:

Actually, whether you agree with them or not Berks and all have made some sort of statement even if you don't agree with it.

They have made the point that a lot of people think it is funny to make racist jokes. You are right, I don't agree with this point.

bhaexpress said:

Sadly, in you seem to have missed my point. I'm trying to make people aware of the cultural divide here,

Well done.

bhaexpress said:

This is a serious topic, why not make a valid point instead of trying to show how ignorant you are ?

Thanks again.

For what it is worth I agree to an extent that racism probably discourages asian players from playing, just as it could maybe discourage asian supporters from attending matches, but at the same time I don't actually know how many asian people are really into football.

I remember Rehman saying when he came here that he wanted to be a role model for asian players as he reckoned a lot of asian lads were discouraged by their families to become footballers as their parents often preferred for them to take up a more traditional career (e.g. accountant, doctor etc.). I don't know if this is the case but maybe it is a factor.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it is a cultural thing, and nothing to do with racism.

There's never been a famous black swimmer or black snooker player - nothing to do with racism, it's just that they don't historically take part in these sports. Tiger Woods hasn't exactly got black kids flocking to the golf course either...

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
the full harris said:
Eric the eel!

The Dave Lee of swimming!!

I can't think of any decent 100 metre runners of the white variety in recent years.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
75% of NBA players are black and 21.4% are white*

*This sample may be slightly biased by one team being all black with one oriental player.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here