Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes is clearly good enough for us.......

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Just give him a few more games to prove himself at this level then we'll all know whether he's good enough or not.

I dont think he'll get a few more games. He might start Tuesday with CMS on international duty along with Hoskins(if fit) depending on what team lord Gus puts out, but I think it'll be Hoskins/CMS at Pomey, and I'd imagine Barnes will below Buckley in the pecking order as well now

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Well it'll be bounced a dam site moer than last years one then :lol: Then again, he probably wont play that much, so it probably wont be
I really find people like you odd. How can any supporter wish failure on one of their players. It's not like Barnes cost a lot, or doesn't try, or is arrogant or rude. He's a young pro who's improving and has scored loads of goals. And yet you would happiest if he were to be drummed out of the club. You revel in every tiny setback he incurs because then you can scream "look at me, i'm right" and your fragile ego is boosted because in your warped mind you can say "I am the king of an internet message board"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Like to see the independent stats on that for 2010/11, compared to CMS, Hoskins, and ALL other League One/Champ strikers.
No guesswork.

According to espnsoccernet

Barnes
Yesterday: 3 shots, 1 on target, 0 goals
2010/11: 71 shots, 34 on target, 20 goals
28.2% of shots resulted in a goal
58.8% of shots on target resulted in a goal

CMS
Yesterday: 5 shots, 2 on target, 0 goals
2010/11: 99 shots, 52 on target, 35 goals
35.4% of shots result in a goal
67.3% of shots on target result in a goal

Hoskins
2010/11: 101 shots, 48 shots on goal, 20 goals
19.8% of shots result in a goal
41.7% of shots on target result in a goal

I can't be bothered to do all the strikers for the season (maybe at a later date when I'm bored), but the rest of the top 5 scorers from last season (Hoskins was joint 6th).

Murray
2010/11: shots 82, shots on target 27, goals 22
26.8% of shots result in a goal
81.5% of shots on goal result in a goal

Lambert
2010/11: shots 149, shots on goal 81, goals 21
14.1% of shots result in a goal
25.9% of shots on target result in a goal

Wright-phillips
2010/11: Shots 69, shots on target 38, goals 21
30.4% of shots result in a goal
55.3% of shots on target result in a goal

In order of shots:goal ratio:

1 CMS
35.4% of shots result in a goal

2 Wright-phillips
30.4% of shots result in a goal

3 Barnes
28.2% of shots resulted in a goal

4 Murray
26.8% of shots result in a goal

5 Hoskins
19.8% of shots result in a goal

6 Lambert
14.1% of shots result in a goal

Shots on target:goal ratio

1 Murray
81.5% of shots on goal result in a goal

2 CMS
67.3% of shots on target result in a goal

3 Barnes
58.8% of shots on target resulted in a goal

4 Wright-phillips
55.3% of shots on target result in a goal

5 Hoskins
41.7% of shots on target result in a goal

6 Lambert
25.9% of shots on target result in a goal

Wow, Lambert is shit. :wink:

It's worth noting that these are only when shots occur, it doesn't include times when players dither and lose possession or never really get the ball under control, or don't make the obvious run etc. only if they take the shot.

Last edited:

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Football is not championship manager, its about squads and variety, which is impacted on by the type of opposition. Didnt think it was easy playing up front for us yesterday because we struggled in central midfield. At times we did need someone playing down middle to flick the ball on. Doncaster pose a different style and threat to most other teams though. I suspect Gus will look to vary team to suit the particular opposition.

I dont think he'll get a few more games. He might start Tuesday with CMS on international duty along with Hoskins(if fit) depending on what team lord Gus puts out, but I think it'll be Hoskins/CMS at Pomey, and I'd imagine Barnes will below Buckley in the pecking order as well now

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I really find people like you odd. How can any supporter wish failure on one of their players. It's not like Barnes cost a lot, or doesn't try, or is arrogant or rude. He's a young pro who's improving and has scored loads of goals. And yet you would happiest if he were to be drummed out of the club. You revel in every tiny setback he incurs because then you can scream "look at me, i'm right" and your fragile ego is boosted because in your warped mind you can say "I am the king of an internet message board"
I really find people like you twats. WHere have I wished failure on any player, including Barnes. Where have I tried to "drum!!" him out of the club.

Twats like you read one thing, then interpret them in a completely different way.

So, twat, quote where I wish Barnes fails, or just f*** off, or better still post your owns views on what is said, not what your peanut of a brain thinks its read. If your capable of that......;. Because its posters like you, that really f*** boards like this up.

Have a different opinion. Fine, but don't miss quote or make things up. In your wraped way "You are the twat of an internet message board".... well done

C*NT

P.s. Not angry. Anger management is working:lolol::lolol:

It's just pricks like this who post false shit about other posters to try and prove a point they cant make, are complete wankers imo, and should be a instant banning offensive. Maybe then the regular posters, can debate without getting sidetracked by these little shits. :p

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Football is not championship manager, its about squads and variety, which is impacted on by the type of opposition. Didnt think it was easy playing up front for us yesterday because we struggled in central midfield. At times we did need someone playing down middle to flick the ball on. Doncaster pose a different style and threat to most other teams though. I suspect Gus will look to vary team to suit the particular opposition.
You dont say. Not quite sure why you've quoted me there to be honest mate.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It's worth noting that these are only when shots occur, it doesn't include times when players dither and lose possession or never really get the ball under control, or don't make the obvious run etc. only if they take the shot.

And thats why I've said all along, stats are worthless. You can say anything you like with stats if you show only the stats that furthers your argument.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Barnes will thrive this season. A very very good prospect. Just my opinion like.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm warming to him - it's a big step up and lot's of our guys will have to adjust - Rome wasn't built and all that.

It's a mute point anyway given our very strong attack - loads of combinations should and will work.

Only one game but Dicker/Sparrow far more worrying for me - hopefully they'll improve quickly

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I really find people like you twats. WHere have I wished failure on any player, including Barnes. Where have I tried to "drum!!" him out of the club.

Twats like you read one thing, then interpret them in a completely different way.

So, twat, quote where I wish Barnes fails, or just f*** off, or better still post your owns views on what is said, not what your peanut of a brain thinks its read. If your capable of that......;. Because its posters like you, that really f*** boards like this up.

Have a different opinion. Fine, but don't miss quote or make things up. In your wraped way "You are the twat of an internet message board".... well done

C*NT

P.s. Not angry. Anger management is working:lolol::lolol:

It's just pricks like this who post false shit about other posters to try and prove a point they cant make, are complete wankers imo, and should be a instant banning offensive. Maybe then the regular posters, can debate without getting sidetracked by these little shits. :p

Wow you must be a deeply insecure person. It's obvious from your endless posts on Barnes that you despise him and your post shows you are incapable of rational argument. You are incapable of leaving the subject alone. Why don't you do everyone a favour and stop posting on these threads, then we won't have to put up with your tedious vitriolic personal attacks on the player and anyone who doesn't criticise him.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Wow you must be a deeply insecure person. It's obvious from your endless posts on Barnes that you despise him and your post shows you are incapable of rational argument. You are incapable of leaving the subject alone. Why don't you do everyone a favour and stop posting on these threads, then we won't have to put up with your tedious vitriolic personal attacks on the player and anyone who doesn't criticise him.
See there you go again, talking false crap.

How it is obvious I despise him, when I've said many times I've nothing against him and I hope he proves me wrong??????????????

Why should I leave any subject alone. Someone starts a thread, so I am entitled in post in it aren't I. Or are you the new nazi of NSC and is it now up to you who posts where.

Why am I insecure, or are you just copying what others say... monkey see monkey do.

And more shit, that I'm against anyone who doesn't criticise him with personal attacks.

Not at all mate. I only dish out personal attacks, when someone like you comes along, and basically writes a load of shit, as you managed to do twice now.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE point out where I've said I hate Barnes. If its that obvious I despise him, it shouldn't take more than a couple seconds. Go on try it!!

Point out where I made a "tedious vitriolic personal attacks on the player"

Point out where I made a " tedious vitriolic personal attacks" on anyone, just because they don't agree with me.

I only make attacks on people who like you, that are incapable of having a rational argument. Just like you accused me of!! And writing a load of false crap and lies, puts you in that firing line.

So there you go. You want a capable debate, try and answer those points.......

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm warming to him - it's a big step up and lot's of our guys will have to adjust - Rome wasn't built and all that.

It's a mute point anyway given our very strong attack - loads of combinations should and will work.

Only one game but Dicker/Sparrow far more worrying for me - hopefully they'll improve quickly
I thought Sparrow was good saturday.

Too me the problem with Dicker, is that he's completely class and the best player on the pitch, or he's a complete liability. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween with him. He cost a lot of goals last season by giving the ball away, and Saturday was firmly down to him as well. I think of these two to three new players still to arrive, one will be a striker, and at least one will be a central midfielder.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
From what i saw he only had one shot on target, not knocking him but he should be in position more often, he could take a leaf out of smithies book and work harder.
I think to be fair to Barnes though, he was given a different job to do than CMS. I don't think he was told to chase everythiong down as CMS, I think Barnes orders we to get behind the ball. I think one of Barnes problems, is that he is very blinkered. By that I mean if the ball on its way to him, he makes his mind up in a flash what hes going to do, and won't change. It was a good save, but he should have scored when clean through Saturday, but he doesn't seem to look up and pick a spot in a rushed situation, the same as when he fired high and wide in the second half, its a though he had made is mind up straight away to shot, whereas if he had taken a touch, the result may have been better, and I think that's where he will struggle this year, in that he will have far far fewer chances, and the misses will stand out more, as they seem to have done Saturday.

But as far as working harder, I can see what you are saying, but I would be pretty sure its the job Lord Gus has given him to do, and if he wasn't working hard enough, the great one would have subbed him straight away.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Right.

So after last seasons FANTASTIC goal return, what EXACTLY does Barnes have to do to prove you 'wrong'.
Sorry this ones been done to death.... go and have a look at the posts about stats.

In short, don't be as nearly as wasteful. Like I said, this season it will stick out a lot more, because people won't have the 20 goals stat to be fooled by.

Going by Ackers stats above, if there was a stat that read, "great goalscoring chance - No Shot, no pass ball with opposition" then no doubt Barnes would be high on that chart to.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry this ones been done to death.... go and have a look at the posts about stats.

In short, don't be as nearly as wasteful. Like I said, this season it will stick out a lot more, because people won't have the 20 goals stat to be fooled by.

Going by Ackers stats above, if there was a stat that read, "great goalscoring chance - No Shot, no pass ball with opposition" then no doubt Barnes would be high on that chart to.

STATS DONT 'FOOL' PEOPLE!!!!

They are STATS. i.e FACTS. Things that HAPPENED.

Barnes SCORED 20. I honestly couldnt give a shit if he spent 89 minutes sitting in the centre circle picking his arse. If he then, for one moment, gets in the box and scores then he has done his job!

Unbelieveable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ffs Mr Burns, for a player you "dont hate" you certainly spend alot of time talking him down and nitpicking performances, while ignoring 20 goals from 37 games. for a 21 yo to be getting 2:1 game to goal ratio is brilliant, but in your view it should have been 1:1, so therefore he's poor ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here