Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes is clearly good enough for us.......

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Brezovan, Elphick & Sparrow will be long gone before Barnes.

Gus is a genius, and knows Barnes is young, tenacious & class. Sparrow & Dicker's dithering led to awful service to the strikers.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I didn't think that Barnes has one of his better games yesterday. He seemed off the pace a lot of time and lacked any form of dynamism. Hoskins will get the nod ahead of him, I hope, when he is fully fit.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
How anyone can say Barnes was anything other than shite yesterday is beyond me...Wakey wakey people, this is the championship.

Wakey wakey, Barnes was not the only culprit as far as missed chances were concerned yesterday. CMS & Noone both missed when they should have scored.....I guess they're not up to Championship standard too, right? I agree Barnes didn't have one of his better games yesterday but I think he's going to score some useful goals for us this season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Barnes had a very good game apart from in front of goal (I know that's his job). Looked tight when opportunities came his way. I suspect the occasion sapped a bit of energy from our boys in the first half - then Gus 'explained' at half time and they were a different team second half.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem with Barnes is that if he gets 5 chances in a game he will probably score 1 but will he get 5 chances in The Championship? I doubt it very much. That is the difference between good strikers and ordinary ones the ratio of goals to chances.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Barnes had a very good game apart from in front of goal (I know that's his job).

i thought the same could be said of CMS, but apparently no criticism is to be leveled at him. not sure why the focus on Barnes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Probably because CMS did a lot of work closing down etc which Barnes didn't. I hope that Barnes ups his work rate and his goals to chances ratio, either way he will be good to have on the bench when Hoskins is fit, who will obviously partner CMS.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How anyone can say Barnes was anything other than shite yesterday is beyond me...Wakey wakey people, this is the championship. You get half a second less and sometimes one or two chances is all you get. He had then chances and missed, for the record Dicker also had a shocker but then I said he was'nt good enough for this division as well..Some people on here have been watching lower standard football for two long, if they think these two will cut it at championship level.

Because not all of us judge a striker just on goals. He missed a decent chance (although it didn't come down to him quickly enough) but had a decent game other than that. The sad thing is that some people on here are so fixated with slagging Barnes off that they won't accept he does anything of note. Noone missed a much better chance than Barnes, incidentally set up by a great flick on by Ashley, but people still see the impact he had. However, Barnes misses one less good chance (and it was saved and then cleared off the line, not missed) and he has been rubbish.

What amazes me is in the post of yours further up the page you give him a compliment by saying he is good at getting into scoring positions but then say it pains you to admit it. Why? Surely you should be pleased if Barnes proves you wrong and is brilliant for us. I don't rate a few of our players but I will always want them to succeed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Probably because CMS did a lot of work closing down etc which Barnes didn't. I hope that Barnes ups his work rate and his goals to chances ratio, either way he will be good to have on the bench when Hoskins is fit, who will obviously partner CMS.

But as shown by stats, Barnes' shot to goals ratio is actually better than a lot of players. He came second in that stat last year. I realise stats don't tell everything but I genuinely believe that some people have decided that Barnes is rubbish so he doesn't get to miss chances whereas other players missing them will not get mentioned.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But as shown by stats, Barnes' shot to goals ratio is actually better than a lot of players. He came second in that stat last year.

If that is true I am very surprised by the results as he appears to have many chances in a game, more last season than Murray, which in itself is good that he makes the chances and hopefully the % rate of scoring will improve.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
How anyone can say Barnes was anything other than shite yesterday is beyond me...Wakey wakey people, this is the championship. You get half a second less and sometimes one or two chances is all you get. He had then chances and missed, for the record Dicker also had a shocker but then I said he was'nt good enough for this division as well..Some people on here have been watching lower standard football for two long, if they think these two will cut it at championship level.
And I think a lot of people will see Barnes in a different light because of that. Last season he got 20 goals, and people were blantently ignoring the fact he was so wasteful he should have got double that. That's how dominant we were last year.

This season he'll only get one or two chance a game, and he has to start converting them, or he'll come in for a lot of stick.

Yes, Noone missed a sitter, CMS had one saved from a not impossbile angle, and the reason Barnes is getting a very low level of stick and not CMS, is we've all seen Barnes miss hatfuls last season, whereas we know CMS will score. He's proven it, Barnes hasn't. And I know the short sighted ones will start going 20 20 20 20 20, but it should have been 40 40 40 40 40 40 and his wastefulness will stick out like a sore thumb this season.

I still stand by he'll be 4th choice if Gus signs his "other striker" and when Hoskins is fit, but I think after yesterday, Buckley will be banging very hard on Gus' door to play up front. Two chances, two goals.... AShley take note.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This thread (and the one previously that was locked) proves one thing; people see what they want to see.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Barnes was alright yesterday
I agree with that. I think overall he was alright yesterday. But he still missed one sitter,(although the keeper did well, he still should be scoring those chances) and another chance which he hacked hopelessly wide, and he can't get away with it at this level, as he did when we were walking away with the league last year. If he's going to be a striker, he needs to convert chances, and whilst I wouldn't judge him after one game at this level, taking into account last season, it doesn't seemed that part of his game has improved over the summer.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just give him a few more games to prove himself at this level then we'll all know whether he's good enough or not.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
The problem with Barnes is that if he gets 5 chances in a game he will probably score 1 but will he get 5 chances in The Championship? I doubt it very much. That is the difference between good strikers and ordinary ones the ratio of goals to chances.

Like to see the independent stats on that for 2010/11, compared to CMS, Hoskins, and ALL other League One/Champ strikers.
No guesswork.
I trust Gus. I'm glad we have Barnes in our squad.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I think every player we have is capable of performing in a decent way in the championship, with possible exception to Brez, Poke, Elphick and Smith. Barnes can clearly cut it at this level, but isn't the finished article yet. His movement is good, he can cross and play out wide, so works well with our system of play, and is good with the five subs rule.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I think every player we have is capable of performing in a decent way in the championship, with possible exception to Brez, Poke, Elphick and Smith. Barnes can clearly cut it at this level, but isn't the finished article yet. His movement is good, he can cross and play out wide, so works well with our system of play, and is good with the five subs rule.

Well said. And the jury's out on Sparrow.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I hope this thread doesn't turn out to be the opposite of Burns' thread last year, which was bounced every time Barnes scored - by being bounced every time Barnes misses a sitter!

Well it'll be bounced a dam site moer than last years one then :lol: Then again, he probably wont play that much, so it probably wont be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here