Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Since Euro96 when I first felt the highs and lows of football and being well.. ENGLISH, and a die hard fan of my local Sussex team, it just comes naturally. Def going to own my own thread where people who want England to do well and won’t be blinkered by other weird things can post - yes I am owning a thread this summer - constructive criticism based on matches etc absolutely fine btw - I deserve the thread after decades of trying to talk about England on a football forum without turning into a prem top 6 glory supporting toy thrower like many on NSC :thumbsup:

Then who's gonna be our transfer window man on the ground, pumping his sauces for all the latest ITK roomers?

Surely not that other reprobate?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When he came on I suddenly felt like I did when my son plays and I watched White rather than watching the ball. To start off with he didn't go near the ball, just settled into shape and helped England look defensively solid. Then gradually the ball found him, or him the ball, and he did, indeed look very assured. Was part of a lovely little pass and move that set DCL away on the right hand side, had his shot coming from deep and always passed well and accurately. Looked a lot more confident than Godfrey.

He really came into his own when TAA went off as well, slotting into that hybrid RCB/RB slot we've seen him play for us when England were defending, keeping it tight and having that excellent clearance off the line.

Probably the one negative I noticed (and this may be my personal choice) is how he blocks. Twice I saw him hang out a high leg rather than put his body in the way. Possibly this is to eliminate any risk of handball, opr because he couldn't get his whole body there in time, but to me it looks a little like a killer deflection waiting to happen, rather than a solid block.

Waking up this morning I am not convinced Southgate will put him in, because, well, because he's Southgate, but he should if TAA really is out and he wants to maintain the squad balance, It would mean not bringing either Walker or James inside as a RCB in a five and we'd effectively have cover in two positions - centre back and CM - where we've got other potential injury issues.

Agreed re White. I only turned on a minute before our goal as I was hoping to see White on as sub. Once he was on I only had eyes for him :smile:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Apparently Brighton And Hove Albion have the best win record of any team ,100% , when one of their players represent England , Tommy Cook , Peter Ward , Steve Foster , Lewis Dunk , Ben White , so Gareth you know what to do for the World cup now .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Dunno why you lot are so down on the minger:-

[tweet]1400167677235245057[/tweet]

oh.

I liked the F365 player ratings today

TYRONE MINGS
Hit a picturesque clothesline from hell on Kalajdzic before a first-half cross came in. Would probably suggest not getting into such bad habits when preparing for a major tournament with all the VAR lashings but still. I think it’s the look he takes at the striker before deciding that clattering into him is an entirely sensible course of action. Mings reminds me of Paolo Maldini in a way, namely his famous quote of, “If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake,” provided you ignore the first eight and then the 11th words.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently Brighton And Hove Albion have the best win record of any team ,100% , when one of their players represent England , Tommy Cook , Peter Ward , Steve Foster , Lewis Dunk , Ben White , so Gareth you know what to do for the World cup now .

I think that three of those players have a caps total between them of...3

Soon to change though...

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

So we won yesterday? Who did we play? This is my genuine interest in England matches outside of actual tournaments, I honestly don't know.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So we won yesterday? Who did we play? This is my genuine interest in England matches outside of actual tournaments, I honestly don't know.

I only saw it on the BBC website over my coffee this morning . . . . I did look at the fixtures on Tuesday, but got distracted by bass amps and guitars when I got home yesterday, walked the dog, cooked dinner, wine etc.

I don't think we missed anything.

edit, Mings is a ****ing tard isn't he ? what the hell ishe doing on the pitch in an England shirt, cahrity raffle winner in spades!

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

I think this is the grand total

Dunk 1 cap 3-0 USA

Foster 3 Caps Kuwait 1-0 Holland 2-0 Northern Ireland 4-0

Ward 1 Cap sub Luxenburg (didn't actually play I don't think )

Cook 1 Cap Wales

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not sure if this has already been posted, but he has to be trolling sock boy here surely?!

E26joLhXoAIyavB

macky

Dec 28, 2004
A team like France is going to tear the likes of Mings and Pickford to pieces.

We have had world class centre backs for many tournaments but not this one.
We still have world class centre back He's just not taking them

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Did he play Rugby League?

It’s not rugby league. As others pointed out earlier, this is a quality offensive linesman play, worthy of consideration by a NFL team. Blocking the onrushing Austrian defensive middle linebacker like this clearly protects England’s quarterback from being sacked.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Yes, we beat mighty Austria. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Adolf Hitler, the Sound of Music, can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating ...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I think this is the grand total

Dunk 1 cap 3-0 USA

Foster 3 Caps Kuwait 1-0 Holland 2-0 Northern Ireland 4-0

Ward 1 Cap sub Luxenburg (didn't actually play I don't think )

Cook 1 Cap Wales

Ward did play he came on in the 85th min. He held the record for the shortest ever England career in playing time on the pitch although I think someone has now surpassed this, possibly Martin Kelly?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I thought BW was very assured. Started a very good attacking move, had a shot, shored up midfield and then blocked a certain goal on the line. Mings, Coady and Godfrey looked, as I think they are, distinctly average. With Terence Trent Derby looking sadly, badly injured , his versatility must make him favourite for the replacement slot. Prowd , very prowd!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here