Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You said:

“It was blindingly obvious” that Ben wanted to go to Leeds.

Respectfully, you’re now going down a rabbit hole of contracts (of course there’s a degree of self preservation in football contracts), but I’ve yet to see, or understand from you why you feel it’s so “blindingly obvious he wanted to go to Leeds”.

Hope his agents quote helps
You know, the guy who represents him

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
“There was a tinge of disappointment but that passed quickly”.

Yeah seems like he was real desperate to go.

Blimey. You really wont have it will you.

What did.you.expect the agent to say."he's bloody devastated"

Where did I say he was DESPERATE to.go????

I said.to me it was blindingly obvious he would have liked to have gone to Leeds.

His agent saying he was disappointed not to go to leeds is.a relatively.good indication of that. The agent didn't need to say anything as white was on the eve of signing a deal with us.

So we know he was disappointed not to.go.and then signed his deal after that move didn't happen.

It's OK to accept people might want to leave.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In a world where contracts matter

We are talking about football

This summer harry kane has basically told everyone he is leaving and it's his choice....and that's with years left on his current deal.

And wannaway Zaha has been held back at Palace by continually signing new contracts giving them the leverage.

Yes... Contracts are terminated all the time in football. However, signing a new contract is not the way to signal you want to leave, it means you are happy to stay at least one more season (or you are really really dumb).

Not saying he bleeds blue&white and wanted to stay at Brighton for 4 years or more, but it seems pretty clear to everyone but you and the deluded Leeds fans that when presented with a choice of running down his contract (effectively forcing a move to Leeds) or staying at Brighton he *chose* to sign a new contract knowing that he *could* be held to his new contract if the club absolutely insisted. Not the actions of someone who really wants to leave.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Blimey. You really wont have it will you.

What did.you.expect the agent to say."he's bloody devastated"

So that’s it. That’s your evidence. That why you think it’s “blindingly obvious” he wanted to go to Leeds.

Maybe I’m wrong. But happy to agree to disagree [emoji106]

I suppose if you read it enough times on social media, you start believing that it's true. I'm sure White enjoyed his season at Leeds. He played every week in a dominant, Championship-winning team - what professional sportsman wouldn't enjoy that? The assertion that that one season has somehow made him Leeds through and through is however delusional. He is from the south coast and, despite being let go by Saints as a 16 year old, has been carefully developed (and financially supported) since then through BHA U18s, U23s and then progressive level loans. He has no more affinity to Leeds than he has to Newport County.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Alex Levack also tweeted a couple of months later...

Delighted for [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]6white signing his new contract with @OfficialBHAFC fully deserved and proves that hard work pays off. There has always been a strategic plan behind Ben’s pathway which is paying off. Great footballer and even better human being.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Short memories on here.

Last summer three things were obvious. Ben had 2/3 years left on his contract. We had a value which was never met. We didn’t want to sell to a relegation rival.

Consensus on here was that we were in the driving seat and under no pressure to sell.

When bids were refused he was awarded with a new deal.

I very much doubt that Leeds would have made bids if they weren’t clear on his interest in signing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Alex Levack also tweeted a couple of months later...

Delighted for [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]6white signing his new contract with @OfficialBHAFC fully deserved and proves that hard work pays off. There has always been a strategic plan behind Ben’s pathway which is paying off. Great footballer and even better human being.

Without sounding rude, what does his agent being positive about him prove? His agent said he was disappointed not to.move yet people on here are weirdly thinking White had NO desire to move.

I don't get it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Short memories on here.

Last summer three things were obvious. Ben had 2/3 years left on his contract. We had a value which was never met. We didn’t want to sell to a relegation rival.

Consensus on here was that we were in the driving seat and under no pressure to sell.

I very much doubt that Leeds would have made bids if they weren’t clear on his interest in signing.

Thank the lord. I thought I was going mad.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Short memories on here.

Or a savvy player/agent is happy to inadvertantly or deliberately bump up his stock and bargaining power.

I very much doubt that Leeds weren't desperate to retain their best player and would have bid whatever they felt they could afford to woo BW even if he had given them no indication one way or another.

Taking a step back and looking at *all* that went on, the vast majority have concluded Ben wasn't keen enough on Leeds to actually do anything about going there. Only Ben knows exactly how he felt but he didn't do a great job of expressing it if he really did want to go.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So that’s it. That’s your evidence. That why you think it’s “blindingly obvious” he wanted to go to Leeds.

Maybe I’m wrong. But happy to agree to disagree [emoji106]

His agent saying he wanted to move is quite good evidence he wanted to move, yes.

I could leave it there.

Before we add in the fact 3 bids came in which wouldn't happen without indication that a player was interested....or.the fact the new deal was signed after all those failed bids and not any earlier.

But, as you say, Ben released a nice video on the website when he signed the deal saying he was happy so.that must mean his agent wasn't telling the truth and Ben didn't actually want to move.

I'm glad it's settled.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Short memories on here.

There was never anything approaching a consensus that he wanted to go to Leeds.

I don't doubt that if we'd received an adequate bid then he'd have been willing to move, but that's not the same thing as actively wanting to.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
It never came down to a straight choice between Leeds and Brighton for Ben. Why? Because his club didn’t let it get to that stage.

Now in retrospect say we accepted £25m offer from Leeds last season. Does anyone think he would have refused to move?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
His agent saying he wanted to move is quite good evidence he wanted to move, yes.

I could leave it there.

Before we add in the fact 3 bids came in which wouldn't happen without indication that a player was interested....or.the fact the new deal was signed after all those failed bids and not any earlier.

But, as you say, Ben released a nice video on the website when he signed the deal saying he was happy so.that must mean his agent wasn't telling the truth and Ben didn't actually want to move.

I'm glad it's settled.

“A tinge of disappointment but that passed quickly” is hardly saying Ben wanted to leave.

And this 3 bids argument is slightly hubris. It could mean many things, PR, who knows. But it does not guarantee a player wants to move. I assume you’ll dispute that. And to that I will say the name “Nicolas Gonzalez”. You may have heard we had a bid accepted for him. What happened next? He turned us down.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And wannaway Zaha has been held back at Palace by continually signing new contracts giving them the leverage.

Yes... Contracts are terminated all the time in football. However, signing a new contract is not the way to signal you want to leave, it means you are happy to stay at least one more season (or you are really really dumb).

Not saying he bleeds blue&white and wanted to stay at Brighton for 4 years or more, but it seems pretty clear to everyone but you and the deluded Leeds fans that when presented with a choice of running down his contract (effectively forcing a move to Leeds) or staying at Brighton he *chose* to sign a new contract knowing that he *could* be held to his new contract if the club absolutely insisted. Not the actions of someone who really wants to leave.
He had THREE years to go. Can we please stop talking about an option to run down his contract. He had 3 years to.go and we offered 4 years and a massive pay rise. ANYONE would take that. Run down 3 years of a worse paid deal or sign for MUCH more money and guarantee yourself good money for the next 4 years?

Come on. Be serious.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
“A tinge of disappointment but that passed quickly” is hardly saying Ben wanted to leave.

And this 3 bids argument is slightly hubris. It could mean many things, PR, who knows. But it does not guarantee a player wants to move. I assume you’ll dispute that. And to that I will say the name “Nicolas Gonzalez”. You may have heard we had a bid accepted for him. What happened next? He turned us down.

You won't win this. Not worth rising to the bait.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
It never came down to a straight choice between Leeds and Brighton for Ben. Why? Because his club didn’t let it get to that stage.

Now in retrospect say we accepted £25m offer from Leeds last season. Does anyone think he would have refused to move?

If we'd accepted an offer of £25m from anybody in the PL he probably would have been willing to move for the right wage and a starting spot :shrug:.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

The agent doesn't need to say ANYTHING. The fact he has let out the above shows you he would have liked the move.

What do you interpret an agent saying his client was disappointed he.didnt move as meaning...if it doesn't mean he would have liked the move (which is what I'm suggesting)

You seem to have got lost in what I'm arguing. I believe it's clear he would have liked the Leeds move. The agent says he would have liked the Leeds move.

I really don't get what you are arguing against now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here