Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Do you tend to get 'sell ons' for £50M players? I thought sell ons were generally where there was a promising player, but potentially sold under 'true' value a bit

depends, if Arsenal being a middling sized club, then say in 2 years time he goes to Leeds for £80m . . .then maybe yes. :glare:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I still can't believe the sort of money being talked about for an exciting prospect who has just made the England squad.

He's had one good season in the Premier (does that make him an established Premier league player ?), no real international experience and is probably some years from his peak.

:

In 2019 Wan Bissaka signed for Man Utd after just one full season for Crystal Palace at the age of 21. He had no international experience. His fee was £45m + add ons.
Harry Maguire signed for Man Utd after 2 full seasons in the Premier League for £80m.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In 2019 Wan Bissaka signed for Man Utd after just one full season for Crystal Palace at the age of 21. He had no international experience. His fee was £45m + add ons.
Harry Maguire signed for Man Utd after 2 full seasons in the Premier League for £80m.

Exactly. You would have thought they'd have learnt by now :wink:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I still can't believe the sort of money being talked about for an exciting prospect who has just made the England squad.

He's had one good season in the Premier (does that make him an established Premier league player ?), no real international experience and is probably some years from his peak.

If these sort of figures are even close to reality, take the money, wish him good luck, sign Biss for another year and no one mention crosses or high balls, in either penalty area :wink:

Well of course it’s ludicrous money for us, but this is the business of elite football. And £50m is complete in line with valuations of other players and the market in general.

Also it’s important to remember, why should we care about setting a fair price? It’s not our job to give fair market value. We have an asset who is a first team player, big ceiling, young, broken into English squad with a 4year contract. If other clubs want him we will naturally need an offer we can’t refuse.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well of course it’s ludicrous money for us, but this is the business of elite football. And £50m is complete in line with valuations of other players and the market in general.

Also it’s important to remember, why should we care about setting a fair price? It’s not our job to give fair market value. We have an asset who is a first team player, big ceiling, young, broken into English squad with a 4year contract. If other clubs want him we will naturally need an offer we can’t refuse.

Correct, of course. But what we don't know, despite the made-up stories on some websites, is what the player himself wants to do.

If White's head has been turned by what he has been told while on England duty (as has happened many times before: Steve Foster put in a transfer request after coming back from England duty in 1982) and he tells the club that he wants to go, then TB will no doubt find out what clubs he wants to join and listen to bids. I doubt if Arsenal would be one of them, as they can't offer European football and they have an owner who doesn't care whether they win anything or not.

If White doesn't agitate for a move, then TB can let the offers keep rolling in until one comes in that it makes no financial sense to reject.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

.....and Bielsa was prepared to pay £30m before he'd set foot in the PL. £50m will need to be on the table before Tony will even pick up the phone I suspect.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

If these sort of figures are even close to reality, take the money, wish him good luck, sign Biss for another year and no one mention crosses or high balls, in either penalty area :wink:

True. I am however coming round to the idea that White could be a generational talent, a player who will become a regular star at top club and international level. And if scouts with far more insight than me feel the same, then open your check book now before someone else gets him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In amongst the worship of White’s ability and having watched the WHU vs Albion game again over the weekend there is no way that he is currently a top six defender yet. He has been brilliant at times but he has also been very naive on other occasions imo, he still has too many mistakes in him and is he good enough in the air?

Ridiculous money aside and assuming he is not going to agitate to get away the best thing for him and us is another season at the Albion.

Maybe I am the naive one :shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I keep reading on Leeds social media that his current value is based on the season he had at Leeds. Weird how none of these 40m+ offers were coming from the big clubs this time last year if that's the case.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In amongst the worship of White’s ability and having watched the WHU vs Albion game again over the weekend there is no way that he is currently a top six defender yet. He has been brilliant at times but he has also been very naive on other occasions imo, he still has too many mistakes in him and is he good enough in the air?

Ridiculous money aside and assuming he is not going to agitate to get away the best thing for him and us is another season at the Albion.

I don't know. I think he may be far more important to us in a back three than we appreciate as non-expert fans. I don't claim to have any expertise at all, it's just that we went from a deserved clean sheet away at Chelsea (and could've won) on a Tuesday night with Ben White in the team to then losing to one of the worst teams in Premier League history at the weekend in the subsequent game when he was suspended.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't know. I think he may be far more important to us in a back three than we appreciate as non-expert fans. I don't claim to have any expertise at all, it's just that we went from a deserved clean sheet away at Chelsea (and could've won) on a Tuesday night with Ben White in the team to then losing to one of the worst teams in Premier League history at the weekend in the subsequent game when he was suspended.

He was suspended for a very naive tackle wasn’t he?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He was suspended for a very naive tackle wasn’t he?

No.

He was suspended for an absolutely professional 'tackle' that he was completely right to make, that sealed a crucial point, that just might have (at the time) kept us up.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I think he improved significantly over the season. At the beginning he was making little concentration errors. Not picking men up tightly at the right times. Getting drawn to the ball and players were dropping off him. He's sorted that out and no doubt learnt from Dunk and Webster. His positional awareness has improved significantly IMO. He's quick to adapt. His big ability is the timing of how he gets a foot in. He's really clever with timings of tackles. He is good at getting a foot in when players are running at him or backing onto him. He's also good at carrying the ball out. Now doubt in my mind he's improving through game time and being alongside two fantastic more experienced centre halves. Another season with us would really push him on. I wish the lad well if he does move on but it would be great to keep him. In terms of his development it will do him no harm whatsover

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I keep reading on Leeds social media that his current value is based on the season he had at Leeds. Weird how none of these 40m+ offers were coming from the big clubs this time last year if that's the case.

What these thickets don't seem to factor in is that it doesn't take all that much to look half decent against Rotherham and Wycombe Wanderers, does it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He is still on the learning curve as if you watch the Foden goal against us he was way to tight on his man when Foden recieved the ball and turned him

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Foden has done that to plenty of experienced defenders as well, to be fair.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Agreed he may not be the full article yet, but he is mightily impressive.
He was superb against City (Foden's goal apart) and is sooo comfortable on the ball.
going forward, he is noticeably better than Dunk/Webster, who are very competent players.
Top 6 clubs will be more concerned about that side of his game than they will any deensive naivety.

He played every minute of leeds promotion season and followed up with proving himself in 36 Premier League games.
They are buying a very good and improving premier league/International home grown defender.
At 23 they are likely to see significant improvement from him and almost certainly a profit when they sell him on.

I would say that £50m would represent a very good deal for any buying club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
White did get exposed against the very best (Rashford, Foden...) but you'd expect by training with those kind of players every week he would improve and get better. Difference is the amount of chances / mistakes you can make for a 'big' club and handling the pressure while you bed in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here