Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I have an irrational disliking of Arsenal, shit club with even shitter fans, I get more pleasure out of beating them than any other club bar Palace. They’re on a different level to us as a club but I still think White should have been aiming higher than them but hey ho.
Lots of our fans seem to be wishing him good luck etc, I’m not in that camp, once a player leaves us he’s gone, I couldn’t give a shit about him anymore. I don’t wish White bad luck but I certainly don’t wish him good luck either.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Give it a rest mate, jeez. It's a virtual pub where sometimes people bang out a quick opinion, sometimes on a dodgy keyboard or a phone that changes the text, it's not a bleedin' dissertation.

Interesting that you really believe that keyboards and phones have created the verb 'to of'

Lets see some of the conjugation:

I of
You of
He ofs
We of
They of

Past tense woulf be I have ofed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Give it a rest mate, jeez. It's a virtual pub where sometimes people bang out a quick opinion, sometimes on a dodgy keyboard or a phone that changes the text, it's not a bleedin' dissertation.

You realise I was mocking the wisdom of blocking the White sale in the expectation he'd gain another £15 million by the time we decide to sell him at the end of next season? Of course I know that people talk virtual bollocks in the virtual pub. And other people may bang out virtual mockery in response :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting that you really believe that keyboards and phones have created the verb 'to of'

Lets see some of the conjugation:

I of
You of
He ofs
We of
They of

Past tense woulf be I have ofed.

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The deal has been agreed in principle according to BBC, Sky, Ornstein, Romano so it MUST be done. Unless their principles are different to Tony’s. ???
Plus there has been no "wide of the mark" comments from the club via Naylor.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Thinking along the lines of TB and the club I expect they are pretty pissed off with Arsenal for blabbing about the transfer fee as it now makes negotiations with possible incoming recruitment harder as clubs will up the price accordingly along with players expecting a bigger slice as well

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Now it appears to have entered the phase of decline and dumbing down, aided and abetted in no small measure by the execrable 'Plain English Campaign'.

I wouldn't say The Plain English Campaign are pro-dumbing down but rather anti-gobbledegook like this:

"The Executive Team concluded that it was appropriate to adjust our plans for the transition to blended learning, by rephasing the commencement of the transition phase for two weeks." (Strathclyde Uni)

this

“...AND WHEREAS We have consented to the said period being so brought to an end and to the exercise of such right of presentation NOW WE HEREBY DECLARE that the said period shall come to an end on the date hereof and that the said vacancy in the said Benefice of Ansdell and Fairhaven Saint Paul in Our said Diocese of Blackburn may thereupon be filled...”. (Bishop of Blackburn)

and this

Job Purpose

Provides beverages by procuring beverage ingredients.

Duties

Accomplishes bar human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counselling, and disciplining employees.

Achieves bar operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to functional strategic plans and reviews. Plans beer, wine, and spirits drink menus by researching mixology techniques.
(Celtic Carvery & Alehouse)

See more here: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/campaigning/awards/2020-awards/golden-bull-award-winners.html

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My kids were telling me yesterday that I shouldn't add full stops to the end of my text messages. Inbetween sentences is apparently okay but a full stop at the end denotes that I am angry (not as angry as an exclamation mark).

Language is continuing to evolve. Although as I mostly only text other middle-aged people I think I will continue as I am.

Putting a full stop at the end of a text message makes you look like a psycho.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't say The Plain English Campaign are pro-dumbing down but rather anti-gobbledegook like this:

"The Executive Team concluded that it was appropriate to adjust our plans for the transition to blended learning, by rephasing the commencement of the transition phase for two weeks." (Strathclyde Uni)

this

“...AND WHEREAS We have consented to the said period being so brought to an end and to the exercise of such right of presentation NOW WE HEREBY DECLARE that the said period shall come to an end on the date hereof and that the said vacancy in the said Benefice of Ansdell and Fairhaven Saint Paul in Our said Diocese of Blackburn may thereupon be filled...”. (Bishop of Blackburn)

and this

Job Purpose

Provides beverages by procuring beverage ingredients.

Duties

Accomplishes bar human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counselling, and disciplining employees.

Achieves bar operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to functional strategic plans and reviews. Plans beer, wine, and spirits drink menus by researching mixology techniques.
(Celtic Carvery & Alehouse)

See more here: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/campaigning/awards/2020-awards/golden-bull-award-winners.html

Yes, you've quoted some gobbledygook. If the Plain Englosh Campaaign stopped there it would be harmless; unfortunately it doesn't - it attacks beautiful stylish English, advocating replacing it with dull, austere and dumbed down functionality. Horrible organisation, with horrible aims.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think Potter sees Karbo as more of a RWB than a LWB looking at where he has been deployed for the 1st team and U23s so far but I’m not sure the Pole will be ready for England 1st team football for a season or two.

I think White will be replaced by two players in the squad. My money is on Østigård & Băluță with Roberts just missing out unless we sign someone pretty quick.

I think Cucurella could do a job at RWB if we sign him & Lamptey along with Veltman are injured.

I agree with all this. But Naylor did seem to think we'd sign a replacement for White.

White out, Cucurella, Østigård and Băluţa in to the squad would be my thoughts as well.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes, you've quoted some gobbledygook. If the Plain Englosh Campaaign stopped there it would be harmless; unfortunately it doesn't - it attacks beautiful stylish English, advocating replacing it with dull, austere and dumbed down functionality. Horrible organisation, with horrible aims.

Fair enough. I don't know much about them but did have a look at their website to get the examples above. It seems they campaign against jargon and waffle with a focus on texts that serve a functional purpose. Have they also advocated for plain English in literature?

Last edited:

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Some latest info on the transfer, sounds like performance related add ons are included... and more hilariously, Leeds will receive no percentage of the transfer as they did not aid his development before the age of 21
eab00e7391c92cd5fbbc69ae2ab56245.jpg
cd070ddee2d1b95a4740deaf15282853.jpg

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I agree with all this. But Naylor did seem to think we'd sign a replacement for White.

White out, Cucurella, Østigård and Băluţa in to the squad would be my thoughts as well.

I’m sure we’ll sign a replacement for White. People seem to forget we play 3 CBs. So Dunk, Webster, Burn, Veltman not enough, even if we promote Ostigard, especially as Veltman is also back up RB (to an injury prone RB).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here