Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bet you hate it when colleagues and family text you. You must hate all abbreviations or the shortening of words.

Nobody txts me unless it's in English. They know me too well :wink:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I bet you hate it when colleagues and family text you. You must hate all abbreviations or the shortening of words.

Of is not an abbreviation or shortening of have.

Its popularity as a substitute may well see it become legitimate eventually but for the time being it's just wrong. No matter how many times its wrongness gets points out, people still love a dabble.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Of is not an abbreviation or shortening of have.

Its popularity as a substitute may well see it become legitimate eventually but for the time being it's just wrong. No matter how many times its wrongness gets points out, people still love a dabble.

I know what an abbreviation is, thanks. I wasn't suggesting of is an abbreviation of have. Just saying he must hate it generally, for what it's worth I couldn't care less how people spell on an Internet forum. Fml

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I sincerely hope not

Sadly, I think it's probably inevitable. It's something that people seem determined not to learn for some half-arsed reason.

English evolved and flourished over the years, from Magna Carta (unrecognisable!), through Chaucer (slightly more recognisable, but still bloody hard work for 'A' level students!) and Shakespeare (at times, beautiful) to the splendid poetry and literature of the 19th. and 20th. centuries. Now it appears to have entered the phase of decline and dumbing down, aided and abetted in no small measure by the execrable 'Plain English Campaign'.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Sadly, I think it's probably inevitable. It's something that people seem determined not to learn for some half-arsed reason.

English evolved and flourished over the years, from Magna Carta (unrecognisable!), through Chaucer (slightly more recognisable, but still bloody hard work for 'A' level students!) and Shakespeare (at times, beautiful) to the splendid poetry and literature of the 19th. and 20th. centuries. Now it appears to have entered the phase of decline and dumbing down, aided and abetted in no small measure by the execrable 'Plain English Campaign'.

Wasn't Magna Carta written in Latin, which probably contributes to it being unrecognisable as English?

Personally I think "shit 'Plain English Campaign'" gets the point across much more succinctly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

My kids were telling me yesterday that I shouldn't add full stops to the end of my text messages. Inbetween sentences is apparently okay but a full stop at the end denotes that I am angry (not as angry as an exclamation mark).

Language is continuing to evolve. Although as I mostly only text other middle-aged people I think I will continue as I am.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I teach secondary Latin and Greek, (and German) and for years I had a classroom in the English wing.

When visitors asked me why I wasn't upstairs with French and Spanish, I used to tell them "High level administrative decision, They thought it make sense to have all the dead languages together in one place."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here