Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Owen this morning in The Argus says no bid has been accepted and it would take a "nonsensical" bid to be accepted as we want to keep him. So if he does go, it could be a package of around £70m, that would be "nonsensical" I would have thought!

In fairness, we would say that, wouldn't we.

I'd be happy to see Ben go if it meant we could then keep Biss and use the funds to buy players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Owen this morning in The Argus says no bid has been accepted and it would take a "nonsensical" bid to be accepted as we want to keep him. So if he does go, it could be a package of around £70m, that would be "nonsensical" I would have thought!

But, but weeks ago David Ornstein said ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The little embellishment, "Arteta sees him as a future Captain" has intrigued me, I just can't imagine he would say that, but I can't imagine a reporter making that detail up either. It would only come up I would think in negotiations with the agent, e.g. agent asking how they see BW fitting into the side, and the Arsenal response being OTT to make sure there is no worry about being Guendouzied.

What's easier to believe, him or Edu thinking it, him or Edu telling anyone if he did, or a clickbait-obsessed intern on a website making it up? My money is very firmly on the last one.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
But, but weeks ago David Ornstein said ...

As I've said before, Naylor must know the truth but isn't going to contradict his employers' chief maker-up of transfer rumours. Being chief sportswriter at the Argus and a small fish in a bigger pond involve different compromises.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Some of the reports suggested he had it written in to his new contract that he could leave for certain clubs.
Could be more BS but doesn't seem that unlikely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I've said before, Naylor must know the truth but isn't going to contradict his employers' chief maker-up of transfer rumours. Being chief sportswriter at the Argus and a small fish in a bigger pond involve different compromises.

Shirley even a work experience intern would pop an email over to AN asking what he knows, let alone the Big Fish.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
White took his off straight away. Thing is, in my mind, you've worked hard to get that medal so keep it. 572 players went home with nothing. Yes it's not what you or the country wanted, but it's better than nothing.

There's a load of garbage being posted all over the place about the fact they took their medals off. I didn't watch the presentations but I'm guessing none of them disposed of the medals, just didn't want to wear them at that time.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

My thoughts exactly. I think we will rinse a club for all they are worth if BW is to be sold. A Nonsensical amount would have to be so huge that you would fall off your chair...I would certainly think the way Arsenal are going they don't have enough money and City or someone else will swoop in and do it all in one go.

I would think in honesty we will sell him but it will most certainly be on our terms...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
My thoughts exactly. I think we will rinse a club for all they are worth if BW is to be sold. A Nonsensical amount would have to be so huge that you would fall off your chair...I would certainly think the way Arsenal are going they don't have enough money and City or someone else will swoop in and do it all in one go.

I would think in honesty we will sell him but it will most certainly be on our terms...

Chelsea. I'm sure of it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Tony may genuinely believe that we are close to doing something extraordinary and keeping our best players is more important.
He's done it before,

Sure the plan is to develop players and sell them on.
But those players whose price is unlikely to go down, are probably better held onto until the market is less impacted by Covid.

Probably just wishful thinking.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Shirley even a work experience intern would pop an email over to AN asking what he knows, let alone the Big Fish.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But in my experience people are so desperate to get their own big story out there that they don't want to hear any voices that might knock it down. Some are also too self-important to believe that anyone might know more than they think they do.

I go back to the Dunk to Leicester 'story'. I compared notes with a few other writers who cover the Albion regularly and knew the facts, and only two people had bothered to check with any of us before writing about it, Tony Banks of the Express and David Anderson of the Mirror. They're good guys and although anyone can get a story wrong, I know that they both do their research. Alex Crook on talkSPORT also rarely goes out on a limb. He knocked the Dunk story down early.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tony may genuinely believe that we are close to doing something extraordinary and keeping our best players is more important.
He's done it before,

Sure the plan is to develop players and sell them on.
But those players whose price is unlikely to go down, are probably better held onto until the market is less impacted by Covid.

Probably just wishful thinking.
I think the reason that won't happen is that this club will not stand in the way of top class players moving to very very big clubs. Ben White won't want to hand around for 2 years until Covid is properly overcome.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What's easier to believe, him or Edu thinking it, him or Edu telling anyone if he did, or a clickbait-obsessed intern on a website making it up? My money is very firmly on the last one.

As I said, I think it an unusual thing to be said about Ben White, certainly by anyone that hadn't worked with him, as he doesn't seem to give off any captain "vibes" whilst playing, he doesn't seem obviously vocal or directive of players around him. I suppose you are right, if you were totally ignorant about a player, you could say anything that might bolster the idea that a club was dead set on getting them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think the reason that won't happen is that this club will not stand in the way of top class players moving to very very big clubs. Ben White won't want to hand around for 2 years until Covid is properly overcome.

Ah. Move over Arsenal. Ben's off to Sheffield Wednesday :)lolol:)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some of the reports suggested he had it written in to his new contract that he could leave for certain clubs.
Could be more BS but doesn't seem that unlikely.

Seems extremely unlikely. Release clauses are normally around transfer fee. What if one of those clubs was having a poor season or us a great one and we're within a place or two in the table? Then they come in with an offer of a fiver in January and we have to let him go to a rival?

Nah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here