Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This time of the football year is usually a prime one for made-up nonsense in the papers and on the websites, but this summer has been especially ridiculous. 99 percent of it is complete rubbish.

Example - the Dunk to Leicester story in 2019. Leicester had just sold Maguire so the ignorant assumed that they would be using some of the money to buy a direct replacement. They didn't bother finding out that Leicester already had Soyuncu ready to go after a year's grooming. Instead they seized on a highly speculative twitter suggestion (ironically from an Albion fan) that Dunk might go there. An unscrupulous agent (of a player at a different club) fueled the fire and "confirmed" the stories in order to put pressure on a client's club to give his boy a new contract in case we were looking at him as to replace Dunk. Meanwhile, anybody who bothered to contact Dunky's agent was assured that he was "97 percent" certain to stay. But almost nobody did.

This is the sort of 2+2=5 guesswork that goes on, put together by "journalists" who don't have real contacts at clubs that they can check with, or don't bother calling in case it knocks their story down (eg the "Bloom to hold inquest with Potter" Mail tale). It led to The Sun writing that a certain manager wanted to buy a player from his former club, not knowing that he had left that club over an affair with that same player's wife.

So while Ben White may indeed end up at Arsenal/Chelsea/Everton/Man City, most of the stuff out there comes from clickbait providers repeating each other's rumours. It really is the definition of an echo chamber. I'm much more inclined to believe Brian Owen than any of the unpaid interns on the online desks of the Express and Mirror. Brian, you see, has this old-fashioned habit of getting on the phone and checking stories with people who might know..

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So while Ben White may indeed end up at Arsenal/Chelsea/Everton/Man City, most of the stuff out there comes from clickbait providers repeating each other's rumours. It really is the definition of an echo chamber. I'm much more inclined to believe Brian Owen than any of the unpaid interns on the online desks of the Express and Mirror. Brian, you see, has this old-fashioned habit of getting on the phone and checking stories with people who might know..

Brian and / or his contact have been steadfast that there’s no truth to this Ben White to Arsenal story from the beginning. Then you add in Ben’s own comments at the England camp “that’s nice.. it’s hard to know what’s true and what isn’t”, and you wonder if the entire Arsenal story is fabricated.

I guess we will only truly find out the truth at the start of the season or when the window shuts.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Brian and / or his contact have been steadfast that there’s no truth to this Ben White to Arsenal story from the beginning. Then you add in Ben’s own comments at the England camp “that’s nice.. it’s hard to know what’s true and what isn’t”, and you wonder if the entire Arsenal story is fabricated.

I guess we will only truly find out the truth at the start of the season or when the window shuts.

Arsenal return to pre season this week and have signed 0 senior pros. This after the ESL debacle. They, and the footballing content industry, NEED stories. Given that Tony Bloom is a lifelong fan, as well as billionaire chairman, he must get a tad PISSED OFF by all this shite bait surrounding his club.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Given that Tony Bloom is a lifelong fan, as well as billionaire chairman, he must get a tad PISSED OFF by all this shite bait surrounding his club.

Since he is obviously 100% ITK I'm sure he doesn't really pay attention to all the nonsense, or if he does it just amuses him. More than that, if we want to be selling the odd player for top dollar as a strategy, then I imagine he would actually be pretty happy that BW is getting the headlines with nice big fees invented for him.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"Duncan Castles on Twitter: "Arsenal's third offer for Ben White is a guaranteed transfer fee of £48m plus £6m of performance-related variables. https://t.co/Eqti4bmTBI" / Twitter" https://mobile.twitter.com/DuncanCa...^1413065795538767872|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

[tweet]1413065795538767872[/tweet]

Found this thread on the third page thought I'd bring it back.

If they are supposedly increasing their bids in pennies that does rather suggest the whole thing is a fabrication.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
"Duncan Castles on Twitter: "Arsenal's third offer for Ben White is a guaranteed transfer fee of £48m plus £6m of performance-related variables. https://t.co/Eqti4bmTBI" / Twitter" https://mobile.twitter.com/DuncanCa...^1413065795538767872|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

[tweet]1413065795538767872[/tweet]

Found this thread on the third page thought I'd bring it back.

Ridiculous if Arsenal are making this known. Almost advertising the bid, in readiness to get gazumped at the last minute by a Chelsea, Everton or City. If true I’d sit on the bid for a while to see what else comes in.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
........... and sadly, after all this speculation, if he does go we already know exactly what the fee will be ...............................

Undisclosed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
........... and sadly, after all this speculation, if he does go we already know exactly what the fee will be ...............................

Undisclosed.

Maybe. Its pretty sexy to leak / announce the fee when you make your largest ever sale as its a feather in the hat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe. Its pretty sexy to leak / announce the fee when you make your largest ever sale as its a feather in the hat.

Brighton aren't leaking anything. Agents, Arsenal, fan blogs, reporters, Tweets, but not Brighton.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
After all this is over I'd love to see a decent journalist go back over the timeline from the very first media report up until the day the transfer happens.

Create a timeline of truth vs BS. It would be so enlightening to know just how much is completely made up and how much has a grain of truth.

Not sure if this has ever been done before? It would take quite a bit of work and require the help of the real ITK people involved (agents, club, etc.).

Has it ever been done before?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
After all this is over I'd love to see a decent journalist go back over the timeline from the very first media report up until the day the transfer happens.

Create a timeline of truth vs BS. It would be so enlightening to know just how much is completely made up and how much has a grain of truth.

Not sure if this has ever been done before? It would take quite a bit of work and require the help of the real ITK people involved (agents, club, etc.).

I doubt it. Why would the clubs/connected parties want to co operate, show their cards, etc? We’ve just got to accept that these transactions are often market sensitive, private, and quite frankly none of our business (but yes, I’d like to know)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Most of it is BS in the sense that the writers (I hesitate to use the term 'journalists') are simply repeating stories from other websites unchecked.

As far as anyone can tell, the only people at the Albion who would know the truth are TB, PB, Ashworth, Winstanley and his team, and the senior coaching staff. And they will not be telling anyone outside the club. So any 'grain of truth' will not have come from the Albion end.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here