Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus letter today - Unreal

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Letter: Forget Falmer, Toad's Hole is best
I do sincerely believe Falmer is not the right place for Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium.

Lewes District Council (LDC) has every constitutional right, and is morally obliged, to challenge Mr Prescott's errant decision.

Non-supporters of the proposed development in the Lewes area have the right to expect LDC to go ahead with the High Court appeal, if for no other reason than it flagrantly contravenes long-standing planning principles relating to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs).

It occurs to me the objection to LDC's court case has less to do with the Albion's finances and more to do with the apparently imminent implementation of the South Downs Country Park proposals. When this happens, the laws related to developments of this kind will be much more stringent than they are now.

As I have said before, Toad's Hole Valley, although nominally in an AONB, is south of the bypass (which at the time of its construction was deemed to be the definitive criterion limiting developments on the Downs) and is an ideal spot for the stadium.

It can hardly be described as being of outstanding natural beauty nowadays.

It is heavily scarred by motorcycles, bounded on two sides by main roads and encroached upon by housing. Anything natural which could move away has probably already done so and the remaining vegetation continues to be churned up, regardless of local by-laws.

How much more sensible to use this natural amphitheatre for an acclaimed "state-of-the-art community football stadium".

One wonders why the offer made some time ago from the builder who owns the land was never taken up. It would have saved the Albion and LDC taxpayers loadsamoney.

Transport links are good (Snakey Hill and the bypass) and the only thing lacking is a railway station. But it should be possible to organise bus runs to and from Brighton or Hove on match days. After all, park-and-ride schemes are all the rage these days - the fans wouldn't even have to park the train.

-JM Hawkins, Shoreham

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fcuking stupid... almost every argument in that letter could be easily taken apart... :angry: :censored:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Again shows the f***ing ignorance of some people, he clearly knows nothing about the supposed 'offer' of the land which itself would break the planning guidelines he talks about

WANKER

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"park the train"

??? ??? ???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I wonder if JM Hawkins is an expert on the matter.

"if for no other reason than it flagrantly contravenes long-standing planning principles relating to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs)."

"Toad's Hole Valley, although nominally in an AONB"

:dunce: :wave:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
So Toads Hole is better because it's
a) "south of the bypass" - just like Falmer
b) "can hardly be described as being of outstanding natural beauty nowadays" - Just like Falmer
c) bounded on two sides by main roads - Like Falmer
d) "only thing lacking is a railway station" - UNLIKE FALMER WHICH ALREADY BLOODY HAS ONE.

TWAT
:angry:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
:lolol:

You just have to laugh sometimes, have these people been living under a rock for the past few public enquires ECT.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
cardboard said:

As I have said before, Toad's Hole Valley, although nominally in an AONB, is south of the bypass (which at the time of its construction was deemed to be the definitive criterion limiting developments on the Downs) and is an ideal spot for the stadium.
Explain how The Falmer site is North of the bypass than fuckwit.
Sorry is this Toads Hole or Falmer the fuckwits on about?

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am sorry to keep banging on about this,BUT, if we have "won " the argument, why is it so many letters are appearing like this?

It is blatently obvious that there are still a lot of people out there who may be nothing to do with the club ie supporters etc who do not believe what we are saying.

I have no idea how we are going to get our message over to these people as letters in reply sometimes give the impression they are patronising the original buffoon who raised the point.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
cardboard said:
Letter: Forget Falmer, Toad's Hole is best
I do sincerely believe Falmer is not the right place for Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium.

Lewes District Council (LDC) has every constitutional right, and is morally obliged, to challenge Mr Prescott's errant decision.

Non-supporters of the proposed development in the Lewes area have the right to expect LDC to go ahead with the High Court appeal, if for no other reason than it flagrantly contravenes long-standing planning principles relating to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs).

It occurs to me the objection to LDC's court case has less to do with the Albion's finances and more to do with the apparently imminent implementation of the South Downs Country Park proposals. When this happens, the laws related to developments of this kind will be much more stringent than they are now.

It is heavily scarred by motorcycles, bounded on two sides by main roads and encroached upon by housing. Anything natural which could move away has probably already done so and the remaining vegetation continues to be churned up, regardless of local by-laws.

How much more sensible to use this natural amphitheatre for an acclaimed "state-of-the-art community football stadium".

One wonders why the offer made some time ago from the builder who owns the land was never taken up. It would have saved the Albion and LDC taxpayers loadsamoney.

Transport links are good (Snakey Hill and the bypass) and the only thing lacking is a railway station. But it should be possible to organise bus runs to and from Brighton or Hove on match days. After all, park-and-ride schemes are all the rage these days - the fans wouldn't even have to park the train.

-JM Hawkins, Shoreham
Forget Toad's Hole Valley, Falmer is Best is best
I do sincerely believe Falmer is the right place for Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium.

Lewes District Council (LDC) has every constitutional right, and is morally obliged to hold meeting regarding the matter behind closed doors, to challenge Mr Prescott's errant decision.

Non-supporters of the proposed development in the Lewes area have no right to expect LDC to go ahead with the High Court appeal, for no other reason than it flagrantly contravenes long-standing planning principles relating to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which the site in Falmer is clearly not.I

As I have not said before, Toad's Hole Valley, although nominally in an AONB, is south of the bypass (which at the time of its construction was deemed to be the definitive criterion limiting developments on the Downs) and is notan ideal spot for the stadium, due to poor transport links, and the fact it is privately owned.

Falmer can hardly be described as being of outstanding natural beauty nowadays.

It is heavily scarred by the A27, numerous university buildings, bounded on two sides by main roads and encroached upon by housing. Anything natural which could move away has probably already done so.

Transport links are good at Falmer, unlike Toad's Hole(Snakey Hill and the bypass) and the lack of a railway station.

-Mr Burns, Springfield

-JM Hawkins, Shoreham is a Twat

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The developers had a dog's chance with Toad's Hole and they blew it! They were too greedy and stupid.

Now they have a bit of land they want to develop and they can't. I don't think they would have pulled it off cause it is an AONB. It is not even second choice.

It it all comes down to the sequential choice when choosing the location. Falmer is simply better. Toad's Hole is actually impossible.

It is not zoned in the Local Plan for a development use so a Public Inquiry would be necessary.

The land speculators who bought the land will have to wait decades before they will be allowed a use for it.

I expect they will try for a golf course, so the land can be dumped on. They might not even be allowed to do this.

They could try a scam and sell it off in bits like Andrew Smith (the crook that wanted to buy Wrexham).

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
lander14 said:
I thought the letter about the diving off of the pier was a bit harsh!!!

\"Let them drown\" :lolol:

Harsh but fair
:lolol:

The letter about the cat getting run over however has just really upset me :down:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I couldn't let that one go, so I've just pinged off a letter to the Argus. So if you see a letter from some berk in Guildford it isn't me, right.

;)

(oh, and I didn't mention "Falmer" once)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here