Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus letter today - Unreal

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is no real point in advocating or even giving the extra publicity on any alternative sites at the present time.

It is not so much that Toad's Hole is practically a bad site. I just could not see any way that it could be achieved. Too many obstacles.

Unless, any alternative site is not an AONB (Downs lobby will object), got be zoned already for sports and recreation or else there are grounds for objection, could to be in the coastal regeneration zone, Can't? be a public open space like Sheepcote (grounds for objections again) so that does not leave much choice ..... ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
JM Hawkins SHoreham

that must be Shoreham Kent cos he clearly hasn't got a clue

still, THe Arsegas shouldn't be printing such utter shyte so I blame them for being a total and utter disgrace to the journalistic world and an utter waste of space

Dies Irae said:
I am sorry to keep banging on about this,BUT, if we have "won " the argument, why is it so many letters are appearing like this?

It is blatently obvious that there are still a lot of people out there who may be nothing to do with the club ie supporters etc who do not believe what we are saying.

I have no idea how we are going to get our message over to these people as letters in reply sometimes give the impression they are patronising the original buffoon who raised the point.
We can't be held responsible for people who aren't paying attention.

One wonders why the offer made some time ago from the builder who owns the land was never taken up. It would have saved the Albion and LDC taxpayers loadsamoney.
The only offer made by the developers would have cost the Club a fortune to provide access to the whole THV site, with the developers refusing to allow any profit-sharing from the non-stadium development that they want to see occupying most of it.

Transport links are good (Snakey Hill and the bypass)
No they're not. Football related traffic would queue back on to the A27, every time a game was played - creating a safety hazard and preventing anyone else from using the Dyke Road junction whenever the stadium was in use. The Highways Agency have said that they would direct refusal of any planning application for a 22,000 capacity stadium at THV.

The site simply fails the "Is it available?" test.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lord Bracknell said:

But doesn't it worry you that there are so many people who " are not paying attention" ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Public Inquiry was not about and never was about what was the best site in an ideal world.

It was all about the what was the best site when the sequential analysis was made for the best practical means of achieving it.

Toad's Hole was simply not available because it was an AONB, inferior transport links to Falmer, not zoned for development.

If the potential developers had their heads screwed on, they could have proposed a development at Toad's Hole, paid for the infrastructure and allowed a stadium as a planning gain. i.e. made a deal for the Albion so that Toad's Hole was a much cheaper and realistic proposition than Falmer. In all probability the finances would not stack up as a going concern.

Roads and junction do not come cheap. £2 million a kilometre for a single lane carriageway. This was all proven at the Public Inquiry. Toad's Hole was a dead duck when Bellotti and Archer were around. Nothing has changed.

PS: the same sort of thing applies to Shoreham Cement Works as well. As well as being in an AONB, off the beaten track, rubbish transport, and £10 million work of asbestos and rubbish to clear. And that Planning Permission was refused already for development on planning grounds on the Cement Works for residential and industry because it was blatantly not in the right place. The idea is to put the jobs where people live and not in the arse end of nowhere without any transport connections.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
but we have to understand that falmer is on the south downs gateway beteen peacehaven and some where so its a controvesial subjuct and some people wont agree

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Is the problem with the paper though? I have thought for quite a while now that the journalism has become progressively lazier, and I for one have not brought The Argus for some time now. And on that point I also know many others that have stopped buying it too.

So the letters editor now puts in a letter with an alternative view. The writer gets his name in the paper and tells ten friends. They then hopefully buy the paper out of habit, and tell a few others. Well that's my idea anyhow, because I feel that The Argus are now clutching at straws to improve their circulation.

Seriously. This is our local rag, that cannot give the real reason why a cruse ship stayed here for the day. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Argus. A failing paper, with poor journalism.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Isn't JM Hawkins the bloke who hangs around with Long John Silver? Jim Lad?
I reckon he's some twisted and bitter Bristol City fan or else yet another irate resident invented by your caring, sharing Argus.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Dover said:
Is the problem with the paper though? I have thought for quite a while now that the journalism has become progressively lazier, and I for one have not brought The Argus for some time now. And on that point I also know many others that have stopped buying it too.

So the letters editor now puts in a letter with an alternative view. The writer gets his name in the paper and tells ten friends. They then hopefully buy the paper out of habit, and tell a few others. Well that's my idea anyhow, because I feel that The Argus are now clutching at straws to improve their circulation.

Seriously. This is our local rag, that cannot give the real reason why a cruse ship stayed here for the day. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Argus. A failing paper, with poor journalism.

The fact that The Argus bothers to publish a letter like this is simply because Falmer has gone quiet for a week or so, and they want to stir things up. Or they want to avoid being constantly accused of being pro-Falmer. Or, they just want another opportunity to plug Falmer, because someone will probably write a well-argued response, which they can publish tomorrow.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Jim in the West said:
The fact that The Argus bothers to publish a letter like this is simply because Falmer has gone quiet for a week or so, and they want to stir things up.
Or they want to avoid being constantly accused of being pro-Falmer.
Or, they just want another opportunity to plug Falmer, because someone will probably write a well-argued response, which they can publish tomorrow.
Numbers 3 I believe.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

The only offer made by the developers would have cost the Club a fortune to provide access to the whole THV site, with the developers refusing to allow any profit-sharing from the non-stadium development that they want to see occupying most of it.

No they're not. Football related traffic would queue back on to the A27, every time a game was played - creating a safety hazard and preventing anyone else from using the Dyke Road junction whenever the stadium was in use. The Highways Agency have said that they would direct refusal of any planning application for a 22,000 capacity stadium at THV.

The site simply fails the "Is it available?" test.

Suggest you write a letter in response... please and thank you... :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think the main problem in the PR battle is that we constantly get duck-pond pictures or views taken from the site up towards the downs in the media...

I think some pictures need to be taken of the site that incorporate the railway line, dual carriageway and/or shabby university buildings... it would be nice to see these instead in the media...

How about the Seagulls Party taking the lead here?... and I'm sure we won't "doctor" the piccies a la LDC!...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The "We can't be held responsible for people who aren't paying attention." quote smacks of complacency a little bit, IMHO... also, the idea that RK and the judge are the only important people in the equation is a little bit of an over-simplification, IMHO...

B.W. said:
The "We can't be held responsible for people who aren't paying attention." quote smacks of complacency a little bit, IMHO... also, the idea that RK and the judge are the only important people in the equation is a little bit of an over-simplification, IMHO...
I'd agree with you if all that was going on was that we were quietly waiting for the High Court process to play to its conclusion.

That is far from the case ... as anyone can see from the media coverage over the past couple of weeks. And that's only part of the story.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I'd agree with you if all that was going on was that we were quietly waiting for the High Court process to play to its conclusion.

That is far from the case ... as anyone can see from the media coverage over the past couple of weeks. And that's only part of the story.

Thank you, LB... I didn't want to sound too critical (sorry if it came across that way) because I genuinely appreciate what you and the other true heroes surrounding our club (Paul S et al) do for the Falmer cause...

I still think we need to get some shots of the site showing the railway line, A27 and/or shabby iniversity buildings... I'm fed up with seeing the fcuking duck pond, pictures from the site pointing towards the downs, or LDC doctored pictures in the media... is there anything the Seagulls party can do to address this?... people (the general public) may fall off the fence on the wrong side if they see the pictures currently dominating the media... just a thought...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here