Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Gus chasing top striker

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It's strange that we've got a embarrassment of striking options available, but the defence and midfield is pretty much the same as last season.

5-4 victories are on the cards indeed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I would be happier with more defensive signings to be honest. Although reading that article I think we are more likely to be signing utility players who can provide more flexible options on the bench with the five sub limit coming into force.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's strange that we've got a embarrassment of striking options available, but the defence and midfield is pretty much the same as last season.

5-4 victories are on the cards indeed.
An embarrassment of strikers and yet not one of them has scored more than 10 goals in the Championship? Two are going into the development team while Hoskins and Barnes are risks. I can see where Gus is coming from and by the sounds of it he is going for it this season. Maybe he has seen enough in pre season training that we need another striker or perhaps not convinced by one or two of them. Remember when we signed Poke and about a week later Gus wasn't convinced by Poke and went out and got another keeper in? I'm sure Gus knows what he is doing.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
sylvan ebanks blake (have wolves signed any strikers this summer?)
ricardo fuller (have stoke signed any strikers this summer?)
jason scotland

only ones i can think of from looking at past 5 years scoring charts.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Could be either of the Billys, Paynter or Sharp. Good championship players who didn't excel last season for their respective clubs, if I remember rightly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
SSN last night reported that Swansea are denying that they have agreed terms with Leroy Lita. Just saying. (May have agreed them since then, I've not seen any news this morning)

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Again like many have said before, we are top-loaded with strikers at the moment. A Centre-Back is a must!
Maybe Gus should leave it for a month and see what strikers are not getting into Premiership squads and then look to bring in a striker on loan for three months.
Some realistic targets to look at:-
- Robbie Blake of Bolton - Scored a lot of goals in Burnley's promotion season.
- Rob Hulse of QPR - Big brute Target man. Will bully defenders in the Championship.
- Simon Cox of West Brom - Linked like season with him. Probably will feature in a few more squads this season for The Baggies.
- Nathan Delfouneso of Villa - Never starts for Villa.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
bloody hell listen to you all

do we need another striker? you can never have enough options upfront and if we can improve the quality up there then great

5-4 games !!! im sure gus realises we are short of options at the back,if he cant get the right man in then im guessing he is happy to go with what we have the transfer window doesnt shut for a month.....in the meantime lets just hope any 5-4 games are wins :)

we havent goit a striker who has scored more than 10 in the championship ! barnes is 21 was playing in the championship for argyle when he was 19 and will benefit from that experience,i think people are writing ash off to soon ! yes we all know what he's like he will miss chances but will pop up with his goals and work hard.Cms scored 11? from what i remember im sure they we playing 1 upfront (dickenson) and had craig out on the wing.....cant understand people judging him on that season.As for hoskins has he ever really ahd a run in the championship? he went to watford at a young age and was more of a bit part player but he has dropped down a league been a success and shown he can score goals ! these 3 scored 75 goals last season in league one they aint gonna become bad players over night

i just cant wait for tomorrow :)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
- Simon Cox of West Brom - Linked like season with him. Probably will feature in a few more squads this season for The Baggies.

That would be a cracking signing as he could not only play as an out-and-out striker but also in behind the front two as Bennett did.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
SSN last night reported that Swansea are denying that they have agreed terms with Leroy Lita. Just saying. (May have agreed them since then, I've not seen any news this morning)

According to The Sun, Leicester have offered £15,000 per week. Think that rules us out, although it's less than the £22,000 we are paying CMS!!! :jester:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Gus said all along he wanted 5 first team strikers.
If you take out agerstein who is development , that leaves us with barnes, Hoskins , cms and bergamp so one more to get

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Gus changes the type of player he is looking at because of the new subs rule. Is there another Albion manager who would have thought like that ? You gotta love Gus.

(Maybe Coppell).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I still tend to think that the most important signing will be a central midfielder who can carry the ball out of defence as well as pass it. That would take so much pressure off the defence and was something we lacked last season. However. if we can't find someone, I really hope that Sparrow might step up to the mark.

Dunk, in my view, is good enough to start with Greer and we have Vincelot as back-up. That doesn't mean we wont get a centre back in next week but I don't think it's as desperate as some think.

As for a striker - we have no-one whose key strength is heading the ball and that will cost us so, yes, in an ideal world we do need someone.

My money is on two signings next week plus a couple of signings or loanees before the end of the transfer window and I think we will loan at least two fringe players out especially if we can find Cook a league club to make his next progression. If all goes well with elAbd and Elphick I hope that Dunk might follow him to get some lower league experience in the new year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here