Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus carrying the story of the first fan to be banned from the Amex

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
The stewards are appointed to ensure that safety and regulations are complied with and supporters are able to view the game they have paid for so it is important that they receive every support, I am waiting for them to take action against those who jump to their feet when various songs are sung which results in complete loss of view of the match.
I expect to hear of more bans which will result in a much improved visit to the Amex and not having to wait until the BBC League show to see the highlights.

One thing - not every steward action is going to suit every person - and there are times when the following of the steward rulebook will result in an unhappy decision on the day for the occasional attendee at a matchday event.
Two weeks ago a lad was thrown out at a hockey match I was at, by the police. His pal then proceeded to argue with the cops who did it, returning to his seat and then keeping coming back to the cops to resume his argument. The lad ejected was loaded with booze and was best kept away from the scene. The cops patiently listened to this moaner all evening, and listen to his arguments over and over. They did well not to sling that bloke out to join his mate, really.
So they had made a judgment on the spot, had it questioned incessantly, but had basically taken the best action at the time.... and not reacted to the moaner.
Personally, I found it impressive that they would entertain the complainant so many times. The original blind-drunkard will be able to return for events (sober), he and his moaning pal didn't get barred, and overall there's the best possible result for all concerned - especially other paying customers (some with girlfriends/wives/children/elderly/families etc.).

It's a pretty safe bet that the event staff ARE doing what's best for everyone - be it other fans, public in general, all club staff and the club representation, and in many cases the person who might have been ejected too. It's not easy to administrate rules that apply over all attendees at a large gathering, but training is excellent these days for health and safety at football. Sad that some serious situations with fatalities were suffered in past times, and had to be learned from - but learning from and responding with proper care to make sure they don't happen again, has been made paramount.

IF you ever cross the lines that may result in or require ejection on the day - better to accept that and be circumspect as possible about it, and behave in a way that works for everyone on the day when you come back again. Worst things will have happened than you missing one match for being drunk or whatever.
Are stewards 'unfair' in their interpretations of the rules handbook? It could happen, but I believe quite rarely because of the concise training and briefings for them.
Stewards work in your best interests.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whatever. People can see for themselves if I have tweaked the facts. If they even care.

Admitting I often defend stewards is hardly likely to win me sympathy on here, is it?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Yes ofcourse it does, but you dont get banned from a football ground and charge just for being drunk, you have to be either not able to look after yourself, or causing disorderly conduct, the club are more than right to ban a drunk man from entering i seen in happen in pubs/clubs so why not football grounds?

3 year ban for being drunk in a pub?

Jan 30, 2008
Some of you people take the f***ing biscuit.

"Limited info" you say??
He responded with "no excuses I am guilty" yet you try to look for some 'grey area' where it's unfair and possibly down to steward maltreatment.
If some loser gets in and twats you, you'd be FIRST to whinge that it was a poor show that they were let in bladdered to the gills and being aggressive.
What if someone reads between your lines and believes you must have been a part of the problem, eh?
oh deary me , the sun definitely shines out of your arse , stewards are such saintly people aren't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here