Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you ready for Christmas yet?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Oh yes I am. Only last night my wonderful well behaved and impeccably dressed children and I took a break from our charity work and stood around the roaring open fire, each holding a delicious glass of non-alcoholic Eggnog of course, singing heartily as my wife belted out our favourite Christmas hymns on the piano beside our giant glowing Christmas tree. Merry Christmas one and all!!!

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m off now to search for bits for the missus..... she’s light this year in the bits area. But I am giving her something special first thing in the morning.

( it can’t be that hard to write a sit-come script surely)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am now. Went to Brighton today and it was very quiet 9.30-12.30. For present shopping the North Laines & Lanes were quiet and easy. Avoided Churchill square and western road.

Food shopping was a nightmare, 60minute queue for Barneys Deli (1 in at a time, 1 person serving as they are swamped with pre orders) and Sainsbury’s was a shit show. Most product was BBE 25th / 26th December at a push.

Got a gammon from the butchers which was the final big food thing but they only had huge ones which will probably half go to waste...

Glad we’ve been picking up stuff over the last few weeks as I can relax a bit more the next 2 days, except picking up some pre ordered bits

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I’m off now to search for bits for the missus..... she’s light this year in the bits area. But I am giving her something special first thing in the morning.

( it can’t be that hard to write a sit-come script surely)

If you're looking for a surprise for her I've now got some spotted dick going spare. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My Christmas preparation has mainly involved ordering things online to be delivered to my family in the UK. I finished that a couple of weeks ago (apart from an e-voucher I just bought for my sister).

As for things here. There's a couple of friends I'm exchanging presents with. I got that wrapped up (literally) last weekend. I've only got myself to feed on Christmas Day, so there's not a lot of stress there. I bought myself a turkey thigh and I'm going out to buy the rest of the food tomorrow. Thankfully I live in a fairly quiet neighbourhood and go to the smaller but slightly more expensive supermarket, which never really gets busy.

I'm definitely going to miss seeing my family in person but that's going to be the story for a lot of people this year. I'll try and enjoy what I've got here. It looks like there might be some snow too which will be a first for me!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Define ready? (And yes I know that’s why the question is so irritating!).

Presents bought but not wrapped. Food ordered bit not delivered.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Presents were all bought two weeks ago and I finished the food shopping this morning. I wore my Wales face mask in Aldi and even had a fellow shopper address me in Welsh - that's a first for Brighton.

Tomorrow is for making stollen and panettone

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Presents were all bought two weeks ago and I finished the food shopping this morning. I wore my Wales face mask in Aldi and even had a fellow shopper address me in Welsh - that's a first for Brighton.

Tomorrow is for making stollen and panettone

Cymru am byth

(my Mum, Dad, uncle and aunt are all from South Wales, and I treasure them all.)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh yes I am. Only last night my wonderful well behaved and impeccably dressed children and I took a break from our charity work and stood around the roaring open fire, each holding a delicious glass of non-alcoholic Eggnog of course, singing heartily as my wife belted out our favourite Christmas hymns on the piano beside our giant glowing Christmas tree. Merry Christmas one and all!!!

How is Tiny Tim’s crutch ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All sorted except for Jnr (16), he's tough to buy for and to make matters worse his birthday is at the end of November.

So we spent Friday afternoon in Worthing.
He finally announced 'I have everything I want, so don't need anything else' - fookin idiot.

Anyhoo the only thing that did pique his attention was some home fitness stuff.

Saturday morning, I bought him a resistance bands set (seemingly some kind of home bondage kit) and a modern skipping rope (that made me laugh), but then also saw this:-

https://www.adidas.co.uk/gmr-pack/FS0156.html

It's basically 'Football Strava - with added gaming'.

Sorry if I've left it late for others but by jimminy when it comes to box ticking this has got to be top of the pile.

Oh and my reason for posting.
Ordered Saturday morning - arrived Sunday evening.

I mean come on, cue lots of :rolleyes: and choruses of "get with the times, granddad".

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not really

bought presents, food, wine, beer . . . just can't find any enthusiasm.

a brighter day than most recently would be wlecome, and the opportunity to walk the dog in the dry and daylight!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
First xmas spent alone, with a misses.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've just ordered 2 Christmas gifts. 1 is due on the 5th January and the other is due on the 28th Jan. Luckily, I can blame this lorry blockade when the actual cause was my procrastination. I have also sent 3 parcels with DPD which appear to have gone absolutely nowhere in 2 days. Lastly, I haven't wrapped any presents up for the wife or kids yet.

I'd say I'm far from ready.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Thought I was sorted. But Arsenal game plans have now been thrown out by Mrs NOBO being booked in to hospital to give birth.
It’s a good omen though.
On the day my first was born, we won 2-0 at Barnsley.
A very kind poster on here sent me a programme, which she keeps in her room.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just about.

Last food delivery yesterday, gifts all here with one exception - allegedly to be delivered tomorrow, but I'm not convinced.

It won't be the Christmas we expected, but we'll make the best of it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Bit of a nightmare this end, since you asked!

Moved into a new house on Friday, and 3 year old had a temperature on Monday. Got him tested but results back yesterday as inconclusive/unreadable. I believe this is common with toddlers as they struggle with the test. He's absolutely fine now (and no symptoms from the rest of us) but we're sticking to the rules and now self isolating. Awaiting second result but in the meantime can't finish Christmas shopping for presents, haven't got any dining chairs to sit at the table with, having to cancel Sky coming to sort out broadband and TV, shit loads of cardboard boxes and rubbish that can't be taken to the recycling centre.

It's all first world problems and we'll make the most of it, lucky we're all ok and together. Will mean my mum not being able to come over and spending Xmas day alone, but then if we were in Tier 4 that'd be the case anyway.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Change of plans for me. Four out of the eight relatives I usually meet on Christmas is working in healthcare so we cancelled it this year as Sweden currently needs every nurse to take as little risks as possible. However yesterday my mother tested positive so that obstacle is out of the way now and Im on a bus going home now. Probably means there is a 90% chance I will get sick as well but shes had a rough year and needs some company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here