Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with your bonus this year?

happy with year end bonus?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
for the last 6 years we've had f*** all, today we get a £25 M&S voucher. at least the kids can have a turkey this year :nono:

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
The only bonus is actually being able to spend Christmas in this country rather than spending it in some foreign shit-hole.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Just checked the weather there too. f*** that.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I have to make my own priviliges in my company because I don't get anything as standard aside from a generous basic salary.

No pension, no share options, no Christmas bonus. In fact it's only in the last couple of months I've been allowed to use the staff canteen.

However, as a sweetener for having to work nights on the 24th and 25th, they've agreed to pay me triple my regular overtime rate which is generous to say the least.

And the beauty part is we've already come to a gentleman's agreement within the department that I'll make no work for the engineers if they make no work for me. Everybody gets a nice little snooze and barring any plane crashes will be free to arrive home fresh and hungry for a full day's christmas feasting.

Marvellous

Of course I'd still rather they just gave me a fat wad of cash and I didn't have to come into the office...

I think these days the Christmas bonus is somewhat old fashioned and outdated to be honest. Working practices have changed so much that most people starting a new job nowadays probably wouldn't expect it anyway

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Curious Orange said:
Bonus? I remember those..., although I can't remember the last time I had one...

:(

Hehe same here.......although I'm hoping that might change on Friday night!!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
What are you moaning about Race?

Tank has the potential to earn himself a bonus for 40 odd days a year. All he has to do is WIN SOME GAMES

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Simster said:
There was an article in page 5 of the Times two weeks ago that suggested Goldman Sachs (where I am contracting) have a WARCHEST of 11 billion*. If they split that between all employees, it would work out as 440k each. As usual though, less than 0.5% of the workforce will see any of the real money - but nonetheless there would be mutiny here if bonuses weren't satifactory given recent performance.

Obviously I'm self employed, but my bonus is another year's extension - that'll do me. :smokin:

*Either USD or GBP - can't remember which

That's a bit harsh on GS, they are known to pay good bonuses to all staff even support workers.

What's it like working for the mighty GS? are the people that much better than everywhere else or have they just marketed a great, elite, brand?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Bluejuice said:
All he has to do is WIN SOME GAMES

I know that and I have told him he'd better make sure he WINS SOME GAMES TOO!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you happy with your bonus this year?

tedebear said:
We had a couple of years where the bar next to the office in CW was pre booked and champagne flowed like water - we also had a few years where people banked bonuses and ran - I'd say this year will be similar if not the same as last - middle of the road....

Q4 results are coming out in the next day or two for some of the big banks and they are expected to be great again. This year a lot of IB's have been making some incredible profits and just take a look at the share prices of a lot of these banks, as high as they've ever been. Why do you think it will be an average year?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not expecting a bonus this year. New job and it hasn't been mentioned.

In todays fluid employment market, there's not really much point in them. The Chancellor takes a big swipe anyway, and get's the biggest Christmas bonus of all.

Dandyman

In London village.
I am afraid us cossetted over paid final salary scheme local government types do not get bonuses. We also have to put any gifts received like diaries or mugs into a hospitality book.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Bluejuice said:

I think these days the Christmas bonus is somewhat old fashioned and outdated to be honest. Working practices have changed so much that most people starting a new job nowadays probably wouldn't expect it anyway

That's not true if you work in "The City" - pretty much everyone in my experience gets a bonus in the trading banks and brokerage houses, in fact I have a minimum set in my contract.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dwayne said:
That's a bit harsh on GS, they are known to pay good bonuses to all staff even support workers.

What's it like working for the mighty GS? are the people that much better than everywhere else or have they just marketed a great, elite, brand?
Well I'd recommend them. They do look after their employees and staff turnover is very low. I've been here for two years and only met one person who was very unhappy. And he was absolute shit - working at Morgan Stanley now...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you happy with your bonus this year?

Lokki 7 said:
Good luck. I'm out tonight with a Morgan Stanley sales trader who finds out today. Could be a big celebration or a drown your sorrows evening. Either way :drink:

Either way a heavy head tomorrow too - enjoy.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Simster said:
Well I'd recommend them. They do look after their employees and staff turnover is very low. I've been here for two years and only met one person who was very unhappy. And he was absolute shit - working at Morgan Stanley now...

It is an incredibly hard place to get a job. They only have about 20 odd thousand employees worldwide. I've gone through one interview process with them for a perm job, there were 8 stages, I got through to the 5th. On the basis that it is so hard to get in I've always thought they must be a pretty good company to work for. If they try and convert you to permanant it may be worth taking

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
dwayne said:
It is an incredibly hard place to get a job. They only have about 20 odd thousand employees worldwide. I've gone through one interview process with them for a perm job, there were 8 stages, I got through to the 5th. On the basis that it is so hard to get in I've always thought they must be a pretty good company to work for. If they try and convert you to permanant it may be worth taking

From everything I've heard from talking to gents etc. they only take very high quality candidates - saw a couple of their job specs recently, I've been working in the City for nearly 20 years now and struggled to understand them.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
dwayne said:

Having worked for them its better than alot of IBs. The fact i worked there means the answer to your question is no though!!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm going out with some traders from a Hedge Fund tomorrow, now that should be interesting!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
dwayne said:
I'm going out and plying my trade in a Hedge tomorrow with some wanker bankers, now that should be interesting!

:eek: what ever floats your boat

last time I got a bonus I was in my teens. boni seem to be purely the reserve of bankers and sales monkeys these days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here